• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

PTC

You are a beginner if you cant bench 100kg, squat 140kg and deadlift 180kg. I dont care what your bodyweight is, get bigger, its why your lifting. Bodyweight is not an excuse.

I posted this up on another forum a year ago. The pissweak pencil neck poindexters all pointed out that it was biased against skinny guys. Crap. If your skinny, eat something. At the time Max weighed 60kg and wasnt remotely close to any of those lifts.

One year later he only has the bench to go, he is only a handful of kg's away. That sounds about right. If you train correctly, you should be able to achieve these goals in a year, regardless of bodyweight. Not many on here lighter than Max was, so no complaints.

The record for achieving all these lifts at PTC from complete beginner was Vocy, he did it in under 3 months from never touching a weight, he weighed 100kg. Benny did it in roughly the same, around 10 weeks.

Now, if your a beginner, here is what you need to do, for between 3-12 months.

Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

Do this 3 times a week. Progressively add weight.

If youve been training for longer than 12 months and cant make ALL those lifts, you've been kidding yourselves, wasting your time on rubbish.

If somebody gave you a pile of ****, and said it was free, would you keep it, simply cause its free? Of course not, you have no use for it.

Just because something is free doesnt mean its useful.

You are a beginner if you cant bench 100kg, squat 140kg and deadlift 180kg. I dont care what your bodyweight is, get bigger, its why your lifting. Bodyweight is not an excuse.

I posted this up on another forum a year ago. The pissweak pencil neck poindexters all pointed out that it was biased against skinny guys. Crap. If your skinny, eat something. At the time Max weighed 60kg and wasnt remotely close to any of those lifts.

One year later he only has the bench to go, he is only a handful of kg's away. That sounds about right. If you train correctly, you should be able to achieve these goals in a year, regardless of bodyweight. Not many on here lighter than Max was, so no complaints.

The record for achieving all these lifts at PTC from complete beginner was Vocy, he did it in under 3 months from never touching a weight, he weighed 100kg. Benny did it in roughly the same, around 10 weeks.

Now, if your a beginner, here is what you need to do, for between 3-12 months.

Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

Do this 3 times a week. Progressively add weight.

If youve been training for longer than 12 months and cant make ALL those lifts, you've been kidding yourselves, wasting your time on rubbish.

If somebody gave you a pile of ****, and said it was free, would you keep it, simply cause its free? Of course not, you have no use for it.

Just because something is free doesnt mean its useful.

You have SLDL in there. Why is there not a normal deadlift? I take it you are saying to stick to this program until you reach each of the lifts? F U C K my deadlift. :-(

You have SLDL in there. Why is there not a normal deadlift? I take it you are saying to stick to this program until you reach each of the lifts? F U C K my deadlift. :-(

Bench is my weakness, I can make the DL and SQ. Aiming to close that gap by January.

Bench is my weakness, I can make the DL and SQ. Aiming to close that gap by January.

personally i find SLDL better than normal deads, when I was doing them a few years and I got my SLDL to 110Kg, was great. Normal deadlifts for me such badly.

personally i find SLDL better than normal deads, when I was doing them a few years and I got my SLDL to 110Kg, was great. Normal deadlifts for me such badly.

In your experience Markos, do most people slow down and stop getting increases each workout after reaching that point?

Last edited:
In your experience Markos, do most people slow down and stop getting increases each workout after reaching that point?

The exact exercises arent critical, as long as you stick to the hadful of basics.

whether you do SLDL or regular, push press or MP, incline press or bench press etc

Its just that in any endeavour, your a novice for at least 12 months.

I see some insane questions and programs from lifters who are not interested in paying their dues.

If your training weight for squat is 80kg, you should not be asking about advanced techniques, tempo speed, isolation movements etc.

I dont want people on here to think I'm elitist, but an 80kg squat indicates to me youve never trained before.

My youngest son, Jessie, doesnt lift. He is 15 and had his first workout last week. Max trained him, and he did his squats with 80kg. He weighs 52kg. He is a novice. You are too until you can squat 140kg.

Like his brother, it will take him around 12 months to squat 140kg, irrespective of his bodyweight. Skinny guys that bitch and moan about how much easier it is for heavier guys never get much bigger.

Max loves big Nick. Max cleans 110kg, Nick 120kg. Max wants to beat him, he doesnt enjoy being weaker than him. He totally ignores the fact Nick is 28kg heavier than him.

These 5x5 programs I see every body doing on here surprise me. I think it was Kyle who suggested we put or best lifts in our sigs. What a brilliant idea. There is a thread up about fiber saturation that lists 50 supplements and tempo speeds of lifting, a host of isolation moves etc. A real long post. Then there is equally long responses.

The OP squats 80kg, the same weight a 50kg 15yo kid did on his first session. WTF.

Thats like me asking Katie to take me rock climbing on the North face of Mt Everest on my first climb.

Lifters dont understand how bizarre their actions are some times.

Walk, run, in that order.

The exact exercises arent critical, as long as you stick to the hadful of basics.

whether you do SLDL or regular, push press or MP, incline press or bench press etc

Its just that in any endeavour, your a novice for at least 12 months.

I see some insane questions and programs from lifters who are not interested in paying their dues.

If your training weight for squat is 80kg, you should not be asking about advanced techniques, tempo speed, isolation movements etc.

I dont want people on here to think I'm elitist, but an 80kg squat indicates to me youve never trained before.

My youngest son, Jessie, doesnt lift. He is 15 and had his first workout last week. Max trained him, and he did his squats with 80kg. He weighs 52kg. He is a novice. You are too until you can squat 140kg.

Like his brother, it will take him around 12 months to squat 140kg, irrespective of his bodyweight. Skinny guys that bitch and moan about how much easier it is for heavier guys never get much bigger.

Max loves big Nick. Max cleans 110kg, Nick 120kg. Max wants to beat him, he doesnt enjoy being weaker than him. He totally ignores the fact Nick is 28kg heavier than him.

These 5x5 programs I see every body doing on here surprise me. I think it was Kyle who suggested we put or best lifts in our sigs. What a brilliant idea. There is a thread up about fiber saturation that lists 50 supplements and tempo speeds of lifting, a host of isolation moves etc. A real long post. Then there is equally long responses.

The OP squats 80kg, the same weight a 50kg 15yo kid did on his first session. WTF.

Thats like me asking Katie to take me rock climbing on the North face of Mt Everest on my first climb.

Lifters dont understand how bizarre their actions are some times.

Walk, run, in that order.

Depends on the lifter.

When Max squatted 140kg, I thought he would slow down, taking his age and weight into account. He is now up to 156kg, and on his way to squatting double bodyweight x 20.

Only what can happen will happen, its up to you to make it happen.

Depends on the lifter.

When Max squatted 140kg, I thought he would slow down, taking his age and weight into account. He is now up to 156kg, and on his way to squatting double bodyweight x 20.

Only what can happen will happen, its up to you to make it happen.

A question on this programme: same goals for women? If not, then what?

Are these straight across sets, or ascending? In either case, what sort of warmup are we looking at?

These may be "duh, that's obvious" to you, but not necessarily to everyone reading.

These 5x5 programs I see every body doing on here surprise me.
Many beginners have had some success with a 5x5 programme, some variation of it. Here are some of the results they claim, but it doesn't mention how long it took - the whole stronglifts thing is only a couple of years old, though. I suppose all the people posting on stronglifts.com could be lying, but it seems unlikely.

Is that better or worse or about the same as what you've posted? I'm not qualified or experienced enough to say. My instinct is that consistent effort's the most important part - seems obvious, but lots of people aren't consistent, they quit things or change workouts every five minutes.

I'm giving a 5x5 variation a go, and any programme needs some time to show results, I've only done it for a couple of weeks. I'll do it until November 20, then probably do some maintenance-level work while cutting for my wedding a month later.

Based on the results I got from that, I may do it again or something different in 2010.
I think it was Kyle who suggested we put or best lifts in our sigs. What a brilliant idea.
My idea was that results should speak for themselves. As the saying goes, if it's stupid and it works it ain't stupid. But likewise, if it's brilliant and it doesn't work it ain't brilliant ;)

It puts things in perspective. It also lets me know when I can help someone, and when I should shut my mouth. "Hmmm, he has a 200kg deadlift, I'll mind my own business, in fact I might even shoot him a PM to ask for advice..." :)

Last edited:
A question on this programme: same goals for women? If not, then what?

Are these straight across sets, or ascending? In either case, what sort of warmup are we looking at?

These may be "duh, that's obvious" to you, but not necessarily to everyone reading.

These 5x5 programs I see every body doing on here surprise me.
Many beginners have had some success with a 5x5 programme, some variation of it. Here are some of the results they claim, but it doesn't mention how long it took - the whole stronglifts thing is only a couple of years old, though. I suppose all the people posting on stronglifts.com could be lying, but it seems unlikely.

Is that better or worse or about the same as what you've posted? I'm not qualified or experienced enough to say. My instinct is that consistent effort's the most important part - seems obvious, but lots of people aren't consistent, they quit things or change workouts every five minutes.

I'm giving a 5x5 variation a go, and any programme needs some time to show results, I've only done it for a couple of weeks. I'll do it until November 20, then probably do some maintenance-level work while cutting for my wedding a month later.

Based on the results I got from that, I may do it again or something different in 2010.
I think it was Kyle who suggested we put or best lifts in our sigs. What a brilliant idea.
My idea was that results should speak for themselves. As the saying goes, if it's stupid and it works it ain't stupid. But likewise, if it's brilliant and it doesn't work it ain't brilliant ;)

It puts things in perspective. It also lets me know when I can help someone, and when I should shut my mouth. "Hmmm, he has a 200kg deadlift, I'll mind my own business, in fact I might even shoot him a PM to ask for advice..." :)

Great post PTC. My husband is going to start lifting so I'll get him to do this. I'm no expert lifter so I'll be doing this too.

Edited to add: just read Kyle's posts, I too wanted to ask about why you think 5x5 programs aren't effective eg. the one at www.stronglifts.com.

They have a thriving forum there with plenty of training diaries so it seems like 5x5 does work for novices?

here is the program
http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Great post PTC. My husband is going to start lifting so I'll get him to do this. I'm no expert lifter so I'll be doing this too.

Edited to add: just read Kyle's posts, I too wanted to ask about why you think 5x5 programs aren't effective eg. the one at www.stronglifts.com.

They have a thriving forum there with plenty of training diaries so it seems like 5x5 does work for novices?

here is the program
http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/