• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

what makes Dextrose better?

BoyFromAus

Hey guys

In PWO supps, I notice many people use dextrose. What makes dextrose better than something like sucrose?

Is Dextrose just glucose and hence doesn't increase liver glycogen?

Hey there mate.

This question has been answered numerous times, take a look around.

In short:

Dextrose is a form (isomer) of glucose and is a monosaccharide (single sugar).

Sucrose is in fact a disaccharide composed of glucose and fructose (two sugars linked together).

As such dextrose is more readily available to the body and will result in a stronger insulin response which is what you are looking for in your PWO.

Last edited:
Hey guys

In PWO supps, I notice many people use dextrose. What makes dextrose better than something like sucrose?

Is Dextrose just glucose and hence doesn't increase liver glycogen?

Rasika, Jason is right but I'll also add this to what he'd said: dextrose is not better for everybody and I'm one of those "everybody". You'd have to factor how your GI (that's gastrointestinal and not glycimic index) would react to it. It doesn't agree with me.

As for sucrose or table sugar, it has a GI of 68, which will still give you an insulin spike, albeit not 100% like glucose would. That is why for someone like me, I can take an alternative in WMS. I've written a fair bit on this as well. Yes it's a starch, but its the absorption factor that makes it special.

Fadi.

thanks for the info guys.

So Dextrose is basically a form of glucose and hence really really high GI....
and that's why we take it after a workout.

I'll search for Dextrose as well as Waxy Maize Starch. Just out of interest, which one tastes better when mixed with Chocolate flavored protein and water?

Dextrose being glucose is blood sugar and is hence 100 on the GI scale.

WMS is easy on the digestive system, has a neutral taste and its super high molecular weight and low osmolarity means that it will enter the bloodstream in no time.

Dextrose will sweeten your shake considerably. It also isn't as gentle on the stomach and isn't as effective.

Look for Fadi's post on WMS to clear things up if needed.

Waxy Maize Starch
also known as:
corn-4.jpg