• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Shin Splints & Treatment

domo87

hey guys,

i think i've got shin splints or at the very leat shin soreness. It started about 6 weeks ago when i pulled up sore in the calves through playing kick to kick for a few hours. the wery next day i played in a footy match between the engineers-commerce match for uni.

my calves felt very heavy, but i persisted with the running despite soreness. i ended up having to ice both my calves that night due to the aching sensation.

now whenever i go for a run or play kick to kick (where i do alot of jumping into the pack) i get moderate inner shin pain. thus i competely stopped any excercise that involed excessive weight bearing work for a few weeks.

last sunday me and a mate went for a kick of the footy at matilda bay (perth) and i barely lasted 10 mins and the soreness flaired up again :mad:

at the moment i have no time to see a doctor/physio as i'm basically at uni 24/7 worjing on assignments and final year project so i was hoping if anyone has some advice on how to treat this injury as i plan to hit the weights/cardio hard once i've finished uni.

Sounds like sore calf muscles, not shin splints. Shin splints hurt the front of the shin (the bone) not the back (the muscle).
Treatment; less footy, more study:p
good luck,
Mike.

You wouldn't ask the doctor how to improve your bench press, would you? So why are you asking us lifters a medical question?

If you have time to post on here and await a response, you have time to go to the quack or physio.

So go. :)

Go see a doctor. Please.

If you don't have time now, then go after your exams are over. But make sure you do it.

Shin Splints are often caused by poor calve length/overly tight calves. Calves tighten causing the ankle to plantar flex resulting in an abnormal ankle postion.

In response the muscles at the front of the leg (tibialis ant. / post. capsule muscles) tighten up to correct the position of the ankle. This causes inflammation in the area and puts undue stress on the tibia.

Try stretching calves heavily approx 3-4x per day for a week, from achilles up towards the back of the knee, and see if this helps

Sounds like sore calf muscles, not shin splints. Shin splints hurt the front of the shin (the bone) not the back (the muscle).
good luck,
Mike.

i'm hoping is calf soreness as thats less of a problem,

You wouldn't ask the doctor how to improve your bench press, would you? So why are you asking us lifters a medical question?

If you have time to post on here and await a response, you have time to go to the quack or physio.

So go. :)

well i would assume people involved in fitness would have some sort of experience/know about injuries and treatment, plus i spent 5 mins writing my post and forgot about it untill now compared to spending at least an hour at the doctors sitting next to some snotty nose picking kid

Hmm, is it possible to go to a GP where you can make appointments? that usually cuts down on the waiting. And if you're a uni student, maybe you could go at some random time in the middle of the day when most people have to work? That should cut down the wait too.

I hate waiting for GPs as well...

how are the shins now?

well i would assume people involved in fitness would have some sort of experience/know about injuries and treatment,
Certainly. But we are still not experts. A doctor who deals with people who injure themselves doing physical exercise would also have some sort of experience/knowledge about physical training. Still, you would not ask a GP to write a workout programme for you.

plus i spent 5 mins writing my post and forgot about it untill now compared to spending at least an hour at the doctors sitting next to some snotty nose picking kid
Nothing worthwhile comes without some effort and patience. That includes competent medical advice.

Sounds as if youve just damaged your calf, Shin splints are very specific in pain.

A Podiatrist can also see to your shin splints. I suffered from TERRIBLE shin splints, after getting back into running. How ever i found that after progressive running, leg training and massage therapy that i no longer suffer from them any more. It differs from person to person down to our own foot and leg mechanics. People have also been known to see a sports massage therapist for shin splints.

good luck,
Mike.

Not true..

Post midial stress syndrome a lot of the time caused when the foot overpronates or oversupinates..and that is pulling on the muscle.

I've got it really bad, I've had sore inner calves near the shin for 8 months, I was overseas till 3 months ago and didn't have insurance to cover it. Now I'm back the phsyio/doctor thinks it's shin splints, told me to get some orthotics ( I had... but I never wore them) and to let it heal. If it doesn't I have to go back for an ultra sound.

Massages can help too. I hate shin splints.

Reverse calf raises

What's that? I can only think of doing these one way
and one way ONLY. standing up!!

Are reverse calf raises done while standing on your
head???:eek: lol...

I think I've already figured this out but tell me anyway
pls...

You stand on your heels instead of the balls of your feet.
So you toes are moving up and down instead of your heels.

While on your head, don't try this at home.

Are you saying you have shin splints in your muscles? Inner calves?

Not true..

Post midial stress syndrome a lot of the time caused when the foot overpronates or oversupinates..and that is pulling on the muscle.

I've got it really bad, I've had sore inner calves near the shin for 8 months, I was overseas till 3 months ago and didn't have insurance to cover it. Now I'm back the phsyio/doctor thinks it's shin splints, told me to get some orthotics ( I had... but I never wore them) and to let it heal. If it doesn't I have to go back for an ultra sound.

Massages can help too. I hate shin splints.

shin splints are caused by muscle. the muscle attached to the bone, is it the tibia?
there is the fibre which covers where the muscle joins to the bone, i always thought shin splints were that muscle swelling and putting pressure on the whole area.
i used to just ice mine when i had them, frozen water bottle and roll it up and down to reduce the swelling

Three Shin Splints Stretches You Need to Be Doing

I found that via google. I would look a little hard than my attempt tho as there are more stretches out there. If you look into stretches that runners commonly use you should be onto the right path.

I had shin splints a while agao they really suck. I am currently suffering from sore muscles over the shins and my calfs due to a sudden increase in walking.

Stretching, good shoes and ice are the best things but dont expect the soreness to go away quickly it tends to linger.