• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Eggs, when and how to eat them

L

lazy

Hi,

Just have a few quick questions, is a high protein supplement usually taken before or after a workout and what do you mix your eggs with?

I had this thrusday 4 eggs, 4 scoops of WPI chocolate, a banana all in the blender, was a bit thick so I mixed it with water.

How big are the scoops of protein? That sounds like a bloody thick shake.

Usually you put milk in as well lol..

Just avoid them around training time..

4 scoops of weigh sound slike a bit much

4 scoops is 60 grams but this was for a morning and afternoon work out, I just cant swallow a whole raw egg.

milk and eggs? do they mix?

Hi,

Just have a few quick questions, is a high protein supplement usually taken before or after a workout and what do you mix your eggs with?

I had this thrusday 4 eggs, 4 scoops of WPI chocolate, a banana all in the blender, was a bit thick so I mixed it with water.

Lazy (you must have a name)! :)

What you've done up here is you have really MIXED your ingredients up. I'm highlighting it to bring to your attention the fact that you've mixed fast acting ingredients with ones that really are great for slowing the digestion/absorbtion down.

After training, you want a drink that will raise your insulin and is easy and quick to digest. By adding eggs and a banana, you've slowed things down. Also, it's not protein that has my priority after and before training but rather carbohydrates.

Please take a look at the 2200/2800 food plan that I have put up on the web for more of an exact approach. Thanks.

Fadi.

4 scoops is 60 grams but this was for a morning and afternoon work out, I just cant swallow a whole raw egg.

milk and eggs? do they mix?

Mate everything mixes in a blender.

Generally 1 scoop is a generic 30grams so i assumed u were having 120 grams of protein powder lol.

No two scoops equals to 30 grams as per the musashi label.

Roughly equal amounts of protein and carbs, before and after the workout both. This has been shown to give better strength and muscle mass gains than the same drink for breakfast and dinner. Strange, but that's the human body for you.

The carbs are for energy, and to help you recover after the workout. The protein is to help you get stronger and bigger.
Sounds more or less alright. People vary, though. What's not enough for you might make me feel bloated. Try it, see if it makes you feel more energetic during the workouts and less sore afterwards, and if over time you get stronger and bigger. If it doesn't, try something else :)

cook your eggs
the body finds it hard to absorb the protein from raw eggs

Yes, I've read that study that was conducted on five ileostomy patients. It's here if anyone's interested:Digestibility of Cooked and Raw Egg Protein in Humans as Assessed by Stable Isotope Techniques -- Evenepoel et al. 128 (10): 1716 -- Journal of Nutrition

In that study you will not find the word undenatured. What do you think happens to an egg when you cook it? Its protein becomes denatured. That of course doesn't mean that the egg is worthless, but it does mean that its protein is not as first class as when it was raw. The study talks of a certain percentage of protein lost/digested due to it being raw Vs cooked. I say what I have in a raw egg is 100% undenatured protein that even if I was to lose some of it; the rest that I do digest and absorb would be first class.

I'd like to see the people who knock a raw egg because of its "hard to absorb protein"; buy a WPI/WPC that is DENATURED!

I however beleive otherwise. I'm all for eggs, both softly cooked as well as raw. Here's a link for anyone who's interested in that also: http://www.karlloren.com/diet/p128.htm

Here's a part of it:

Important Update on Eating Raw Eggs
Posted by: Dr. Mercola
February 09 2005 | 40,289 views

By Dr. Joseph Mercola
Well folks, it is time for a major update on my recommendations for eating raw eggs. First, before I review the update, I want to dispel the common myth that raw eggs are bad for you. Most people fear them because of the risk for salmonella contamination. If you are still concerned about this please read my earlier article on raw eggs.
As part of that article I had stated that one should never consume raw egg white alone without the yolks, as a component in them called avidin binds to the B-vitamin biotin, potentially creating a deficiency in your body. However, my position shifted when one consumed whole raw eggs, both the yolk and the white together.
One of my raw food mentors convinced me that there was more than enough biotin in raw egg yolks to compensate for this problem, and I revised my previous recommendation to say that eating whole raw eggs would not pose a problem. This idea made sense to me as many wild animals consume raw eggs with no apparent problems.
However, recently a subscriber, Dr. Sharma, PhD, who is a biochemist with Bayer, contacted me about this issue. His investigation into the matter revealed that there is not enough biotin in an egg yolk to bind to all the avidin present in the raw whites. He found that 5.7 grams of biotin are required to neutralize all the avidin found in the raw whites of an average-sized egg. There are only about 25 micrograms -- or 25 millionths of a gram -- of biotin in an average egg yolk.
This is obviously not nearly enough to do the job. For this very reason, controlled diets of only raw egg whites lead to severe biotin deficiency.
New Egg White Recommendations
So is this the 'end' for the healthy consumption of raw egg whites? If you naturally tend to be biotin deficient or are pregnant then the answer is yes. However, raw egg whites (the white 'Yin' to the yolk's 'Yang') are part of the important combined nutritional balance of the egg.
The nutritional breakdown of the egg white is rather impressive. With 9.8 grams of varied protein, high riboflavin, magnesium and potassium, plus a whopping 25 percent the daily value of selenium, there are options to have your white and eat it too! If you decide to eat whole raw eggs, here are my suggested options:
1. My primary new recommendation, and the one I now follow, is to separate the yolks from the whites so you can cook the whites and consume the yolks uncooked, or raw. The white can be cooked and eaten on its own. Although cooking the white reduces the nutrient quality and perhaps increases allergic sensitivities to some, the avidin in the egg white breaks down when cooked to 100 degrees Centigrade, therefore releasing the biotin back for your absorption and virtually eliminating any risk of biotin deficiency.
2. Supplement with biotin. Safe and adequate recommendations for biotin use are about 30 to 300 micrograms per day in adults, and 10 to 30 micrograms per day for infants and children. Typical therapeutic doses are anywhere between 100 micrograms and 16 milligrams per day.
Studies have shown daily doses as high as 100 milligrams caused no adverse effects in otherwise healthy individuals. No studies to date have been done using intakes anywhere near 5.7 grams, but for those who are interested Allergy Research Group has a 5,000-mg biotin capsule, and, depending on your overall egg consumption, there's also an 8,000-mg capsule by Thorne. You would theoretically need about 5,000 mg of biotin per egg white to 'neutralize' the avidin in the average large egg.
You can also get limited amounts of biotin from your food. Animal livers are by far the richest sources.
3. Don't eat raw egg whites every day. Allow your biotin reserves to rebuild and eat only raw yolks or an alternative breakfast.
4. Eat yolks one day then whites the next. Remember that the biotin loss occurs in your digestive tract when the two molecules bond together before it is even absorbed. Eating the yolk and the white separately will greatly reduce the problem.
5. Keep your intestinal flora healthy. Probiotics should always be used. The GI track is long and has evolved different biotin strategies at different locations. A 1989 study showed quality biotin absorbed most effectively at the upper bowel. Keeping this region healthy and functioning optimally with plenty of good bacteria is a must to speed up the nutrient uptake of high-quality, small molecules such as biotin versus the 'lumbering' avidin at the start of digestion.
Additionally, a healthy lower bowel will produce limited biotin on its own and absorption may even be possible.
Detection and Treatment of a Biotin Deficiency
If you have been consuming whole raw eggs like I have, you may be concerned that you are now deficient in biotin. You need not worry too much as it takes months to years of severely deficient biotin intake to cause any noticeable symptoms, and these symptoms will clear up quickly if you stop eating raw egg whites and take a biotin supplement for a few weeks.
Common symptoms of biotin deficiency include:
  • Brittle fingernails
  • Thinning hair and/or loss of hair color
  • A red, scaly rash around the eyes, nose and mouth
Less common symptoms of biotin deficiency include:
  • Depression
  • Lethargy
  • Hallucinations
  • Numbness and tingling in the hands and feet
A definitive diagnosis of biotin deficiency can be made if the symptoms in question resolve by supplementing with biotin, or by measuring and detecting a reduction in urinary excretion of biotin.
The Bottom Line
One of the problems with being on the leading edge of natural medicine is that occasionally one will veer off course a bit, but with time the direction always swings back to the truth. Many readers have appreciated my openness to modifying my views based on new information. This is in direct contrast to the conventional medical model that can be quite dogmatic and rigid about considering new data to modify their current beliefs.
When eating any part of an egg raw, I also recommend that you read my guidelines on how to ensure that you are consuming fresh high-quality eggs.

Had I read the above before consuming raw eggs; one may suspect some form of a placebo effect. What I'm putting up here was first seen by me in January of 2009. I've been having raw eggs since 1982.

Thanks for reading and best of health to you.

Fadi.

then you have been wasting your money for 27 years
denatured or not
your protein intake from a given dose of eggs is roughly half that of some one who cooked them

do you cook meat or is it eaten raw in order to receive your "first class" protein?

furthermore, protein is denatured when it is digested due to exposure to stomach acid

Last edited:
then you have been wasting your money for 27 years
denatured or not

Now you're being judgemental upg and that is not something I like. Talk about the written word; not its writer. Thank you.

your protein intake from a given dose of eggs is roughly half that of some one who cooked them
Are you basing your comment on the study which I have provided for you? Have you read it? Which evidence is stronger would you say upg; one based on a study or one based on impirical data?

do you cook meat or is it eaten raw in order to receive your "first class" protein?
I do eat both raw meat as well as cooked meat. I've actually written an article on that; here it is : http://ausbb.com/general-topic/9173-raw-meat.html

furthermore, protein is denatured when it is digested due to exposure to stomach acid
You forgot to add the word heat as well. Bravo upg. Yes of course it is mate; it's called digestion, (that happens on the inside). So tell me, would you buy denatured WPI/WPC or don't you drink protein powder? I'm wondering if you think that both (undenatured and denatured) protein powders are the same?

Upg, mate we are both sharing our ideas here for the benefit of all. Please do not lose focus of that. I thank you for your time.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Thanks Fadi, very informative.

So I read your post on 2200 calorie intake plan and kyle's post that carbs are very important pre and post workout so eggs should be consumed late in the day?

Hi Fadi, the atricle you posted talks alot about "Biotin", and to
Supplement with biotin. Safe and adequate recommendations for biotin use are about 30 to 300 micrograms per day in adults, and 10 to 30 micrograms per day for infants and children. Typical therapeutic doses are anywhere between 100 micrograms and 16 milligrams per day.
Studies have shown daily doses as high as 100 milligrams caused no adverse effects in otherwise healthy individuals. No studies to date have been done using intakes anywhere near 5.7 grams, but for those who are interested Allergy Research Group has a 5,000-mg biotin capsule, and, depending on your overall egg consumption, there's also an 8,000-mg capsule by Thorne. You would theoretically need about 5,000 mg of biotin per egg white to 'neutralize' the avidin in the average large egg.

Detection and Treatment of a Biotin Deficiency
If you have been consuming whole raw eggs like I have, you may be concerned that you are now deficient in biotin. You need not worry too much as it takes months to years of severely deficient biotin intake to cause any noticeable symptoms, and these symptoms will clear up quickly if you stop eating raw egg whites and take a biotin supplement for a few weeks

Do you know how many raw egg the author is consuming?

It also advises not to eat raw egg whithe every day, yolk one day white the next.

You have been eating raw eggs (5+ daily) for a long time, have you had a problem with Biotin deficiency?

Mike.

P.S. I'm really looking forward to Sunday and resting:D
Cheers,
Mike.

Thanks Fadi, very informative.

So I read your post on 2200 calorie intake plan and kyle's post that carbs are very important pre and post workout so eggs should be consumed late in the day?

No worries thanks,

Have the eggs whenever you fancy except before/during/after training. That's all. So it's only a time span of about 1.5 hours; after that go and enjoy the miracle food that is the EGG!

Fadi.