• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deloading

Kyle Aaron

"Deloading", as I understand it, usually means dropping the weight so you can manage more reps.

This can be a technique on an individual exercise, for example leg-pressing 20 reps of 200kg, stripping off a plate a side and leg-pressing 10x 160kg, stripping off another plate each side and doing 10x 120kg, and so on.

However, if you're doing a simple progressive resistance programme, it can be a technique to try to deal with stalls. Mehdi has this on his Stronglifts 5x5 programme. For example, if you were squatting 70kg, and supposed to do 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 but only managed 5, 5, 4, 4, 3, then after stalling like that for three sessions you'd drop the weight to 72.5kg and do 5x5 of that, building up again over time.

Experienced powerlifters describe it in other ways.

Now, some have said that "Those **** heads at ausbb are clueless. Check out their lifts. How the **** do you deload after doing 30kg deadlifts, do you simply touch your toes for a week."

However, in both my training years in the 1990s and more recently, I've done this with some good results. I understand it's fairly common. Have others have good or bad experiences with deloading? Or experiences of different kinds of deloading?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I usually call them drop sets.

Keep going until 20kg feels like 100kg.

do you always have to quote Markos from other websites when he says something that upsets you? seems a bit petty to me.

anyway i dont "deload" if i stall on a weight after a few sets rather than drop the weight i will eat more, sleep more or change up my routine a bit. if its an exercise i usually do last i'll do it first, i find if im fresh i will get that extra rep out. the only time i guess i "deload" is if ive had a break for a few weeks, then i'll drop the weights back a bit and build up to where i was before

do you always have to quote Markos from other websites when he says something that upsets you? seems a bit petty to me.

anyway i dont "deload" if i stall on a weight after a few sets rather than drop the weight i will eat more, sleep more or change up my routine a bit. if its an exercise i usually do last i'll do it first, i find if im fresh i will get that extra rep out. the only time i guess i "deload" is if ive had a break for a few weeks, then i'll drop the weights back a bit and build up to where i was before

David,

Are you basing your program on percentages that are worked off your 1RM? I say this because at no time in 3.5 years of training as a weightlifter, do I remember ever failing with a strength type exercise such as squats for example. Failed reps with me occured due to a wrong techinque say in a jerk or a similar lift. Thank you for your time.

Fadi.

i dont base my training of percentages of my 1RM but i know that since i started training properly in march i havent missed a rep the next time i attempted it. if i missed a rep in a set of 5 the following session i will get it. poor technique has played a part in missing those reps too, especially powercleans and push presses

lol....deloading is not dropping weight to do more reps, its a break in training to allow recovery.

Rather than stopping altogether after a 4 week cycle, we do a deload week before starting again lol

Seems my comment wasnt too far off the mark hey Kyle

Stick to what you know before you have a crack at me lol

Great, I'm a **** head from ausbb and I'm clueless.

You guys KNOW who the ****h e a d s are , dont get too precious, I've already stated in another thread here that ns.com is littered with morons, its why PTC has its OWN forum in the weights session.

HTFU