• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Meal during sleeping

T

thugz8

Heres a topic I came across a while ago which somewhat made me curious. Now, we all know that the longest time our body doesn't see food is when were are asleep. This is why we all try to eat some slow dissolving protein pre bedtime, weather it be in power form, milk, or cottage cheese. We also know that alot of repair for our body happens during our sleep.

Now, ive come across a few people who suggest, and practise the idea of waking up midway in a night, downing a quick meal, then going back to bed. Most have said the results have been good, however, lets keep in mind that people who are this keen to wake up at outrages hours also tend to have their rest of their diet in good form. So it gets hard to say if there results come from their "sleeping" meal, or diet as a whole.

In my mind I see 1 big pro, and 1 big con for this "sleeping" meal
PRO: Get more nutrition when your body needs it.
CON: Your disturbing your sleep, which your body values for repair time.

Whats peoples opinions, trials etc on the matter ?

yer ive heard of ppl doing this but i cant see myself doing it balance is the key i guess

Can`t do it.Like to sleep through if I can and very rarely wake up hungry.
Occasionally I do and I`ll have a sanger or a glass of milk but I won`t wake up just to eat.
I`d like to hear from the competitive guys/gal on this one.I have a mag with a Jay Cutler interview where he says the longest he sleeps at one time is 4 hours and sometimes only 2-3 because he wakes up to eat.According to him,he can lose kilograms by not eating during the night.

yeah i wanna hear from someone like Fadi about this, it kind of makes sense that it would be good to do. If enough people with evidence back it up, i might have a protein shake sitting in the fridge and drink it if/when i get up to piss

Dito, would be very interested to see what Fadi, and others think.

As i said above. The only real downside I can see to this (apart from inconvenience), is your body's natural sleeping rhythms being interrupted. Whether or not this is a big deal, is something I have no idea about.

Dito, would be very interested to see what Fadi, and others think.

As i said above. The only real downside I can see to this (apart from inconvenience), is your body's natural sleeping rhythms being interrupted. Whether or not this is a big deal, is something I have no idea about.

Hi Steve,

Just as there are training cycles of light, medium, and heavy and all that goes in between; and just as there are three macro nutrients and micro nutrients which are needed by our bodies to function at an optimal level; so there are different levels/stages of sleep that one has to enter to feel fully rejuvenated and ready to face the day with a clear mind and a vibrant body to match. Not a body that needs Nox this or Caffeine that just so it can wake up properly.

An uninterrupted sleep is worth its weight in gold. No need for studies here Steve. Studies are conducted on people like you and me, who follow a set of protocols that are designed by scientist (we’re lucky to have one member here on Ausbb who is one of this nice people). So why not conduct this experiment on yourself to find the best answer in that it would be the most individualised of all.

Go to sleep as per usual on some days of the week, whilst on other days, set the alarm or have someone wake you at 1 or 3 am. Do this experiment few times and log down the way your mood, your head clarity/understanding, your physical strength etc on the following days.

Bodybuilders do not eat or drink the perfect food or the perfect drink. I’ve written about this in an article called: Let’s break the shackles.

Remember when I very recently wrote on cardio and weights and how we need to create more blood vessels and expand and build density in what we already have? Well, similarly, we have a different set of freeways and highways (they are the ultra/lightning speed highways called the neurons. They don’t belong to the blood delivery system that is the cardiovascular system; no Steve, these speedsters belong to the all mighty nervous system. This is where your and my CNS comes into play.

This is no different to training. If I can train 24/7 and fully recover by some magic whatever; then I see no reason why I should not also stay awake for 24/7 if I can function 100%. Fortunately, this is not Hollywood but down town earth where reality resides. Excuse me Steve; I’m going home and straight to bed. Good Morning from me everyone.

Never underestimate the power of sleep

Fadi.

I take a big protein shake with me to bed, drink 1/2 before sleeping.
Just leave it on my bedside table and drink the other 1/2 about 3am.
I naturally just wake up around this time everynight, drink the shake and fall back asleep right away.
Go to the toilet at this time if needed also.
Gaining weight right now so it's probably helping.

I take a big protein shake with me to bed, drink 1/2 before sleeping.
Just leave it on my bedside table and drink the other 1/2 about 3am.
I naturally just wake up around this time everynight, drink the shake and fall back asleep right away.
Go to the toilet at this time if needed also.
Gaining weight right now so it's probably helping.

so you noticing a difference between now and before you started doing this? Is this the only major thing you changed in your diet too?

I've done this a few times (only when I've happened to wake up) but it was a bit of hassle due to brushing teeth afterwards, etc.

Just had cottage cheese at the time.

Wouldn't do it as part of a routine, just if I happened to wake up.

I'm with Fadi on this one, I think a proper nights sleep that is uninterrupted is the key.

Not like what I get, last night I was awaken by my 10 month old son crying. He wouldn't stop so he came into bed with us for about 30 mins. I am feeling drained and tired today because of that.

Could put a shake in the firdge if you wake up to piss drink it..

I find im constantly up and pissing... Frustration

Could put a shake in the firdge if you wake up to piss drink it..

I find im constantly up and pissing... Frustration

Yeah... I was only talking about if you woke up naturally, not setting any alarms.

I guess what I still want to understand is whether this is actually good/bad for your metabolism. Aren't there some hormones released when you sleep that stop you from getting hungry? - Could mixing food with this be bad?

Another thing, why do people say wait 30 minutes after waking up before you eat breakfast? Perhaps a shake in the middle of the night would be bad?

**** that protien is never bad..

What retards are these?

hmmm, I dont know really, just something I've always been told/assumed. I tried googling around and couldnt really see anything that backs up what I said heh, so maybe i will give the protein shake a shot!