• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Powerclean instructional video

i notice they have a fairly wide grip outside of their shoulders, im pretty sure my grip is a lot closer in.

also what is an ideal set/ rep range to train powercleans? normally when i do them at PTC it will go something like:

3 x 40
3 x 50
3 x 60
1 x 65
1 x 70

etc.

i want to do them at home each session now adding 2.5kgs whenever i get the set, would this be best done with a 5x5 or because they are so taxing with the heavier weights should i do something like 5x3 or just stick to a pattern like first mentioned?

So what David has listed above for what he does at PTC should be alright. 3, 3, 3, 1, 1, 1?

After doing quite a few of these now and watching quite a few vids the attached vid looks SO MUCH different to me now than when it was first posted. I still bend my arms to bloody early. ARGHH!!!

Hey Markos,
In another thread, you posted some power clean tips by Jim Wendler. One of which was:
----
4. Once the bar passes the knees, jump like you mean it.
---

Is that how you teach the power clean too? or is it more of a focus on hip drive forward?
I've read a few articles recently, some saying it's a "jump", while others saying jumping is the wrong way to learn it. I should just shut up and power clean, but it is interesting to read other peoples views :)

I believe Fadi also mentioned that he never heard the jump terminology used in respect to the power clean back when he was at the AIS.. Interested to hear your thoughts.

So in theory when the bar passes your hips you should be bending your arms. I'll give that a go. I'm gulty of not giving the PC a proper go. I've done them, but not, to a great extent

No arm bending

When the arm bends, the power ends.

Same say jump, this confuses plenty of people, as long as your extending your hips all the way through, and finishing your pull, your going okay.

Max powercleaned 112.5kg tonight, and gave 120kg a good ride. He doesnt actually jump, because the weight is so heavy it wont allow him, but he is attempting to get as high as possible as fast as possible so he can dive under the bar.

After a bit of time doing these, 70kg is really starting to feel weightless when it all goes right. I get a bit of pain in the shoulders though, not from racking the bar onto the shoulders, it just sort of burns alot there. Is that normal? I am new to this so it is not bothering, just wondering if it is indicating poor/wrong technique?

Never seen someone spot a clean..
This video is classic.. haha..

[youtube]C-cBW9CJ5MU[/youtube]

Last edited:
I don't know what's worse - the so-called "powerclean" or the fact that they went so crazy afterwards...

anyway, didn't want to ruin this useful thread with something stupid like that.. but it had to be seen to be believed
:)

Last edited:
cant get my elbow to bend enough to rest the weight on my shoulders comfortably. so my elbows tend to be more vertical than horizontal. is it just tight lats and triceps? any tips would be appreciated.