• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

strength goals

CaT_SPeW

extra crispy
after BATB3 ive had to re-evaluate my goals, i hope these will all be short term goals and that i will be posting up a bunch of new ones soon enough.

Bench: 102.5 > 110kg
Overhead Press: 80kg > 90kg
Squat: 125 > 150kg (pending scans on my knee next tuesday:eek:)
Deadlift: 185 > 200kg
Powerclean: 85 > 95kg

post up your strength goals, short term or long term. then post again when you reach one of them.

I have never tested 1rm..

Would like to 5x5 soon. (except clean 5 x 3 )

dead 180
squat 130
bench 90
o/h press 70
clean 90

Current

dead 150
squat 110
bench 70
o/h press 50
clean 70

Short term goals, ie within 3 months

bench up from 115 to 120 max, (1.7xbw)and sets of 10 @105 (1.5xbw)
deads up from 130 to 175 max (2.5xbw) and sets at 140 (2xbw)
squats up from 100 to 140max (2xbw) and sets at 105 (1.5xbw)
military press up from 60 to 70 (bw) for sets
wide grip pullups, sets of 10 up to sets of 20
increase my general fitness, and get to >70kg @12%bf

squat: 150 > 180
bench: 102.5 > 120
military (5x5): 72.5 > 80
powerclean: 111 > 120
overhead: 95 > 110
deadlift: 200 > 230

The following are 5RM goals. I hope to achieve them by June 15 next year (ie my 39th birthday), as this will have been a year since I got my sht together at the gym. I would have set it a bit earlier, but I'll be overseas most of April and will no doubt lose some strength.

By June 15 2010:-
Bench press = 80kg ---> 100kg (x1.25 bodyweight)
Bent-over BB row = 80kg ---> 100kg (x1.25BW)
Squat = 75kg --> 120kg (x1.5BW)
Deadlift = 90kg --> 160kg (x2BW)
Military press = 50kg --> 80kg (x1BW)

I've only been squatting and overhead pressing for a month, and deadlifting since this last week.

Short-term? I dunno, getting squat past my bodyweight and military press past 50kg are the most difficult at the moment...

Last edited:
To illustrate whats possible, check out these numbers. These are from previous comps at PTC, BATB2, Australia Day 09 and BATB3. One year between the first and last and 7 1/2 months between the last two.

Lifter - 1 year diff - 7.5 month diff
Max......174.5kg........72.5kg
Mick......141kg..........56kg
Ben.......121kg...........n/a
Nick.......94kg............n/a
Nicky......n/a.............145kg
Dave.......n/a.............155kg

Dave trains 6 times a week at PTC. He started one month before Australia Day 09.

These were his lifts at that comp. Dave 106.8kg

Squat................ 120kg
Bench press..........77.5kg
Powerclean...........77.5kg
C&PP...................75kg
Deadlift...............180kg

These are his lifts from Saturday. Dave 103.5kg

Squat................ 180kg
Bench press.........105kg
Powerclean...........92.5kg
C&PP...................92.5kg
Deadlift................215kg

Hmmm, perhaps I am being overambitious. Doesn't matter, I change my goals every 3 months or so based on how I'm going anyway :)

:D

nah but seriously those goals are definitely achievable and in less time that what you have stated i reckon.

My strength goals are -

Squat - 152kg (2BW)
Deadlift - 190kg (2.5BW)
Bench Press - 115kg (1.5BW)
Military Press - 76kg (1BW)
Power Clean - 91kg (1.2BW)

That is the AUSBB strength standards, that is what I want. I am thinking 6 - 12 months, we'll see.

You should get close to all of them by Australia Day 2010, if not, you'll get them on the day.

Book your flights and Chris' early, much cheaper.

I am in the process of sorting all of that actually. I will only be able to compete on one day, which is the weightlifting comp. My partner will be coming down with me too, not sure about Chris though.

That is absolutely fantastic news Josh.

We do the 5 lift comp on the Saturday and the Strongman is on the Sunday.

Have you got a total in your mind you would like to hit. Obviously 550kg will be a soda, aiming for 600 I would think.

Amazing things happen at PTC. Chris had a PB of 245kg in the deadlift prior to the comp. He hit 245kg on his second attempt. We goaded him into going for a PTC record of 266kg. Only when you see the video will you understand how easy he did it. He even shrugged it for fun at the end. A 21kg PB after 7 1/2 hours of lifting.

Adrenalin is a wonderful thing, as is enviroment.

Yep, that is exactly what I want to experience. I am not sure on what to aim for at the moment. I will have a better idea when I complete this macro cycle and set some new PB's.

I think if I aim to get over 600kg total is a good goal. It will take some hard work, though I think it is achievable if I keep my mind on it. I will need to add 80kg to my current total. I reckon my deadlift will come up a bit and that will help me with 30 or so kg.

My goal is to get through one of Marko's workouts without falling over!

Strength wise goals for Aus Day are
Squat - 180 2xBW
Mil Press - 70
Deadlift - 200
Bench - 90
Power Clean - 80

Chris actually had a PB of 240 before the comp. He took 245 as an opener. Thats confidence.

woot. got a little bit closer to my goal today. did a 70kg powerclean (was 65kg...goal 100kg). :)

I find that it's very useful to just lift instead of thinking about all the little components about it.

My Long-term goals are,
2 x bodyweight squat and dead, 1.5 x bodyweight powerclean and to Military Press bodyweight (strict)

Short-term goals (xmas this year)
1.5 bodyweight squat and dead (15kgs and 5kg off), 1x Bodyweight powerclean (20kgs off) and MP 60kg (strict)