• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Newbie Stupid Question!

B

big_bruce

I'm 30, overweight & out of shape but I plan to start bodybuilding.
I'm not a complete stranger to training but have had little or no gains in the past and I've ended up de-moralised and ultimately back on the beer and burgers!

Right so on with my questions...

Should I focus on loosing all my excess weight before starting to bodybuild ? or could both be done at the same time ?

Should I join a gym because there is a much larger range of equipment for use ? or could i get by for the start with some basic equipment I have at home ?

I do have a rowing machine and also a bike gathering dust,

What sort of training times/periods and how many days would be needed ?

its hard breaking old lazyness habbits, but i think its definately time for a big change in my lifestyle.

1: if its bodybuilding your interested in, dont worry bout losing the excess tyres mate. do that later in the year leading up to summer when you will get a real chance to show off the goods so to speak... you will lose a bit of bodyfat over the course of your trainin anyway

2: i would highly reccommend a gym... the atmosphere i found really helps keep me motivated, and you can make the most of the vast amount of available equipment, although for the first few months, you really shouldnt need to use a lot in the way of machines- stick to compound movements that maximize strength and size.
you can certainly do ok at home, but i still prefer a gym. plus, you can get a PT to keep an eye on you for the first few workouts to ensure you are doin the movements safely and with form

3: to start, try 3 days a week for the first month or so, then 4 days a week thereon in (time permitting). i train 5 days a week, but i got time coming out the wazoo!! ;D

good luck with it all.
as you may have noticed, correct eating habits and diets are constantly comin up on this forum, so dont neglect diet in particular

Big_Bruce, ezzy has some good advice. by doing the weights, you will lose weight. Once you get into the rythm of using the gym and equipment, change your routine to include cardio work. this will see you lose even more weight.

Glad to see another 30+ person ;D

MightyTriby

firstly , no such thing as a "stupid newbie" question! So ask away! We all start somewhere. That's what we are here for, to share knowlage! So ask away..

you must mentally prepare yourself for a major lifestyle change, accept that if you want to achieve your goals that lots must change . Your diet is just as (if not more) important than your training.

You will make good gains just starting out. Keep it really basic and dont push it too hard