• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

what to eat before morning workouts??

pistachio

basically, i am considering training in the morning before work, cos i am finding it difficult to find time to get to the gym before my second job at night (i.e. i am constantly rushed, pre workout and PWO nutrition is EXTREMELY rushed, i am talking about downing a shake and eating as much food as i possibly can stuff down in about 2 minutes...)

so, my question to all you people who train in the morning, what do you have pre workout? is a shake sufficient, or do you have a full meal?

what would be the ideal pre workout nutrition to have immediately upon waking so that you can get your arse down to the gym and start lifting virtually straight away?

cheers

Hi pistachio,

Here's what I have first thing every morning before gym.

I always use a shake before & after, prepared the night before;

before
6g WPI, 25g WMS,
2g of Leucine
2g of Glutamine,
1g L-Carnatine
2.5g Creatine
100mg Vitamin C
100mg Vitamin E
400ml water
after
90g 3 slices white bread (or 5g WMS), 10g WPI,
2g of Leucine
2g of Glutamine
2.5 Creatine
3g Beta alanine
400ml water

I have breakfast when i get to work about 40 mins later..

Now thats very specific and what fits in to my diet atm, basically you just need some protien & carbs & water to replensih depleted stores and get in the gym!!

So options are limitless...

Preperation is key.

Part of my routine each night is to prep tomrrows food, this helps heaps as it stops me from looking for 'other' quick options during the day if pressed for time.

plus there is nothing like to the look on a colluges face as we sit down together for lunch.. he with his 2 potatoe cakes and a coke and me with my BIG ASS plate of sizzling Asian chicken stir-fry, bowl of fluffy white rice, BIG crunchy salad mix and sweet looking fruit salad :cool:... and thats just smoko!

For an optimal answer you need to lay out your whole plan but for some peice of mind ... protien & carbs & water

MD

Last edited:
thanks for the advice, so there is no need to have any solid food before training then? and how soon before training can you have this?

also, i don't have any WMS, so would something like dextrose suffice?

i have plenty of other supps tho (see http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-supplements/9243-best-way-use-my-current-stock-supps.html)

basically, i just want to take something that will

a) not upset my stomach during training
b) can be taken as soon as possible before training (so i can get to work as early as possible without getting up ridiculously early)
c) will not limit my ability to train hard/heavy, i.e. will not reduce my strength due to lack of food

i normally train around 5pm by which time i have consumed a LOT of food, so i have plenty of energy

thanks for the advice, so there is no need to have any solid food before training then? and how soon before training can you have this?

I don`t know about others but I need solid food before a workout at any time of the day.If I have a morning workout I need a bowl of porridge, couple of eggs, and a banana shake (2 bananas and 500ml of milk) about 1 hour before and i usually chow down on a peanut butter sanger just before I go in to the weights room.Some of my friends would spew on this much even with light exercise.If I don`t eat I get starving hungry 5 mins into the workout and I am as flat as a tack.

thanks for the advice, so there is no need to have any solid food before training then? and how soon before training can you have this? Personally i have it just before i leave for the gym, 5 mins before working out. It is totally up to you if you choose to have solids or liquids, some repond badly, some train like a monster with a full stomach.. up to you, there is no right or wrong. find what works for you and that is "right" for you. As I said sometimes I use bread, oats etc in place of WMS and (dextrose) is fine also. Its all about fast carbs, protien & water, just use some trial and erroer to find what works best for you.

also, i don't have any WMS, so would something like dextrose suffice? yep..

i have plenty of other supps tho (see http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-supplements/9243-best-way-use-my-current-stock-supps.html)

basically, i just want to take something that will

a) not upset my stomach during training - trial and error (somedays will be different from others)
b) can be taken as soon as possible before training (so i can get to work as early as possible without getting up ridiculously early) wake up, consume, train.
c) will not limit my ability to train hard/heavy, i.e. will not reduce my strength due to lack of food - Its all about fast carbs, protien & water

i normally train around 5pm by which time i have consumed a LOT of food, so i have plenty of energy
I train both 5am and 5 pm, i use the same PreWO & PWO nutrients at both times.

I hope this helps, I can elaborate on hundreds of variations for the workout window and you can find 100 more on this forum alone. For conveiniece, preperation is key.

Zarkovs example...If I have a morning workout I need a bowl of porridge, couple of eggs, and a banana shake (2 bananas and 500ml of milk)
You could prep this lot in a shaker the night before, blend and drink before you leave.... dont froget to add the penut butter!!

think MD meant to say 50g instead of 5g. That's all 50g correct, thanks Fadi, you'd know.

If shakes are easier for you, with work and timing then use them, if you can stomach wholefoods and train use them, alternate... test yourself on various techniques and record your results (feelings, energy, intensity) and use this as a guide, personally I think its one of the things that keeps BB interesting, is constantly refining your program (diet/excersize) and testing your bodys limits and responses.

Last edited: