• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Female deadlifting

PTC

I havent been over in this section for awhile, I thought I might post something up that motivate some of you girls.

This is strength based, and I make no apologies for that, if its not your thing, simply look away.

Amanda was my first ever client at PTC, joined up in 8/1/08. She had never ever touched weights, but took to them like a duck to water.

She had a break in August and never really got back into it. She came back in January for 2 sessions then quit again. It was all personal stuff, as she lives in my estate.

Anyway, she has been back 3 weeks, and this morning she deadlifted 136kg, a gym record at PTC.

She had previously done 130kg, and Brittany had pulled 135kg to beat her, and Bec has since done 130kg, so today Amanda took back her crown.

I now have 14 girls who deadlift over 100kg at PTC.

Hope this inspires SOME of you to train hard.

Cheers

Markos

That is pretty damn tough! I know this is a touchy subject so you don't have to answer, though what weights are these girls at?

I started my Fiancee on them, she is a little chick and we just started with the bar for reps so she can get an idea of the form. I am going to get her doing 30kg this week and see how she goes. Currently she is 48kg, we are hoping to get her to put on 4kg of muscle to bring her up to 52kg. I would be stoked if she could do bodyweight ones to be honest.

That's very inspiring, PTC. Thanks for sharing.

I haven't yet tried a 1 RM deadlift, and seeing deadlifts are my favourite lifts, I'd love to see how much weight I can put on the bar...

What are you doing currently Katie if you don't mind me asking of course. I just want to get a reference of what to get Meg doing. She was lifting the bar pretty easily, though I just wanted to make sure her form was good.

Actually Josh, that's a good point re: what weights are the girls at. Because I sometimes tend to get a little discouraged when I hear that a girl can deadlift 136kg... That is 2 and a quarter times my bodyweight!

Naah, that's not true, I'm not that discouraged - I really want to test out my 1 RM now!

Okay, obviously some girls HATE talking about bodyweight, but I'm their trainer, so I need to know.

For the record, Nina is the only female who can deadlift double bodyweight, she did 127.5kg @ 59kg.

Brittany weighed 70kg when she deadlifted 135kg.

Annie is 183cm and 77kg, she deadlifted 125kg.

Most of my female clients weigh just over the 60kg, a few are heavier.

Vicki deadlifted 110kg @ 57kg.

Jordy just turned 14, weighs around 60kg, she deadlifts 95kg.

When Amanda first did 130kg in August last year, she was 69kg.

Every girl starts with well over bodyweight on their first deadlift session, but they have already done my KB pre deadlift routine.

All the girls are over 1.5 x bodyweight, hope that helps.

Cool, that gives and idea of what to shoot for. When you say they did well over bodyweight on their first deadlift session, is that a 1RM?

I will look to get Meg up to at least 60kg then.

I dont test 1RM with clients at all in the first 4 weeks.

We deadlift from 3-5 on top work sets.

We NEVER EVER do high rep deadlifting

We never have back injuries either. I saw recently in a training journal where someone was deadlifting a toothpick for 30 reps. Senseless.

Thanks for that PTC, I'm inspired now.

Go for it Josh (and Meg)!

Ummmm, Josh, the heaviest I've ever deadlifted is 40kg. I know it's not a lot, but try doing 50 reps, I was buggered by the end.

That said, I did pick up a 40kg and a 32 kg KB the other day, and that wasn't too bad, I wonder if I could deadlift 60-70kg. I'll report back soon :)

Markos loves he's female lifters in how strong they are. He loves to talk about them. And when the girls are in the gym and are attempting a pb the guys stop to watch. Everyone in the gym are very supportive of each other.

Ignore him. Our paths will cross one day.

Bec has done 2 sessions today, Amanda has done 2 sessions today and Nina has done 3 sessions today.

All these girls train very hard, every session. The reason they make such tremendous progress is the effort they put in.

Popular opinion tells you how often you should train.

Popular opinion is weak.

Katie, dont be afraid to train often,hard, same goes for every other girl.

Kyle, I'll get back to the preperation stage later tonight.

Kyle, everyone at PTC basicly does the stuff I had you start with. Seeing as a KB handle is lower than a BB, as long as they can reach down and pick that up without rounding the lower back, they can start by deadlifting KB's, starting at the 8kg.

When they can deadlift the 64kg KB, like you did, they are then introduced to the bar. A 64kg KB is harder to deadlift than a 65kg bar. The girls quickly find this out.

All the while, they perform cannonballs and swings, so when they get to the bar, the PC has had plenty of direct work.

Its not unusuall, in fact its normal, to have a girl pull 100kg after just 4 weeks of lifting, depending on how often they train.

A 100kg deadlift is not impressive, and I'm not being a smart ass. More girls pull 100kg at PTC than dont. In fact, besides the two 14yo and the 60yo, they all do.

Same goes with the guys, they all pull over 140kg, including the 60yo guy.

As long as you prepare by training the PC first with more direct exercise, and you put some effort into deadlifting, these numbers are very achievable.

Now, one other thing we do is high reps with KB deadlift. Nick has done 84 reps with the 64kg KB in one set.

Most of the girls can deadlift the 64kg KB x 20. We do train the PC with high reps, just not with the deadlift.

Hope this helps

I deadlift the bar at the gym with 110 on it, but I don't think it's kilos:confused: Sorry, brain dying due to lack of good food.

Chussen, if the bar says 110 then it possibly means 110 lbs (pounds)

110 pounds divided by 2.2 is 50 kg.

I think Chussen is talking about 110 (kg or lbs) of plates plus the bar. If it is pounds, you are lifitng 70kg (20kg for bar), if kg you are lifting 130kg (20kg for bar).

Aah, thanks Josh for clarifying. I'd misread that she was lifting a fixed barbell, I know some gyms have those.

No worries, Super Moderator. ;-)

Actually I read what Chussen said again and I am not sure who is right now???