• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The let's get HUGE food plate

Fadi

How BIG Is Your Food Plate?

Ok, so your aim is to pack on the beef yeh? What’s the size of your food plate? If it’s your normal average family sized food plate, then you’re in the majority. Would you like to know how some people in the minority do their thing? Good, let’s roll then…

First let’s go to the gym. You’re hungry for a top workout but end up for whatever reason, with a mediocre one. You go home and an hour or so later your bodybuilding friend John pops over to see you. The conversation takes you to the way you’re feeling about the night’s workout session at the gym. So John upon hearing your disappointment says to you: “it’s not too late, the gym is open for 24 hours, so let’s go and smash some iron again Jack”!

What would you do in that case? Are you in the mood to do what you should have done when you were in the gym earlier on? No thanks, I just wanna put my feet up and hope it doesn’t happen tomorrow because every single workout counts.

Now, how big did you say your plate was? Not big enough hey! Well, it’s time to go shopping for a decent sized plate a la famous restaurants with their big plates, small amount of food and huge price tags! Ok, so I’m exaggerating a bit but you get the picture.

Ok, so you’ve bought your special plate; now what? Now you fill it all up so you do not see that huge plate anymore but only the food that occupies it. I can hear some of you asking; couldn’t we just get up and add some more food if we’re still hungry. Yes of course you could do that; the same way you could have gone back to the gym for another workout or at least to rectify the previous one.

Since a young age we’ve been told to finish our plate or we won’t grow to be tough and strong like Mr. or Ms. X. Well at least that piece of psychology stayed with this writer. So the way I do it now, is I take advantage of that mentality and I use it to my advantage before I add food to my plate. If it’s add on beef season, then plenty of muscle food would go on my plate and all would have to be finished; just like my workout has to finish on a high note.

Some of you may laugh at this very simple article with its simple message. But it’s often the simple steps we take on the road to getting massive that really and truly count.

PS: This idea can work in reverse as well. Not so much in getting an extra small plate when dieting, but rather filling that normal plate to the rim so mentally at least, your subconscious mind can be truly satisfied instead of feeling deprived. What the eye can see, the mind will perceive (or is that the other way around now)?!!!:D

All the very best to each and everyone on your journey to improving yourselves.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Thanks coach. I'm bloody hungry now. I've just finished a sneaky saturday afternoon session (that tho isn't in our program, i thought i'd slot in & do a bit of low % work for the sake of cardio.

Now....pardon me while i go to the hard ware store, to buy a garbage bin lid to use as a dinner plate.

One more thing....is it safe to assume that protein & fiberous greens are top choices to be on Every plate ?

Thanks coach. I'm bloody hungry now. I've just finished a sneaky saturday afternoon session (that tho isn't in our program, i thought i'd slot in & do a bit of low % work for the sake of cardio.

Now....pardon me while i go to the hard ware store, to buy a garbage bin lid to use as a dinner plate.

One more thing....is it safe to assume that protein & fiberous greens are top choices to be on Every plate ?

You made me laugh with that "garbage bin lid" plate thing...:D. Ah you're crazy! Yeh PB, just eat mate just eat and get some fuel into you. Eat what love to eat and stay away from fried food. That's all.

Fadi.

Hi fadi,
is stir fry considered fried food? Or are you referring to deep fried food like KFC, chips etc...

as my diet mainly consists of stir fried food.

No Lucku, stir fried food is not considered fried food by any means my friend. I know many Asian dishes are stir fried and you look at the way the vegetables for example turn out; just amazing.

Fried food is fried chips or deep fried whatever. Take a beautiful (Kyle where are you; he's the expert here and not me) cutlet of salmon. Now you can turn it from being one of the healthiest foods on the planet to one that is the exact opposite by the way you "fry" it.

I hope I've answered your question Lucku.

Fadi.

Haha, if anyone were to deepfry salmon my woman would explode! She loves it raw in sushi, or grilled for breakfast, if only Australia were a proper seafood country and it didn't cost $25-$30/kg.

I think what Fadi is trying to say is that the amount of cooked oil you have is the important thing. When things are stirfried, that's not much cooked oil that ends up in you. Deepfried, or fried in lots of oil (as you often see with fish or steak) is different.

if only Australia were a proper seafood country and it didn't cost $25-$30/kg.

i always thought 25-30kg is cheap...
No way can u get salmon at that price in singapore...

i always go to fish market to buy salmon sashimi.. yummy :D

Sometimes i can get snapper for $10/kg

She just has a different perspective from having lived in Japan, where salmon among other fish is relatively cheap, $10 or less a kg. She had it every day for breakfast there :)

It's not to my taste, I buy it for her as a treat now and then. I like pasta!

Kyle, I know we're going off the subject a bit here, but if a country that is surrounded by water like Australia has high seafood prices; what would a country that is surrounded by other counties prices be like?

Do you have any idea why it's so expensive here? Thank you.

Fadi.

No Lucku, stir fried food is not considered fried food by any means my friend. I know many Asian dishes are stir fried and you look at the way the vegetables for example turn out; just amazing.

Fried food is fried chips or deep fried whatever. Take a beautiful (Kyle where are you; he's the expert here and not me) cutlet of salmon. Now you can turn it from being one of the healthiest foods on the planet to one that is the exact opposite by the way you "fry" it.

I hope I've answered your question Lucku.

Fadi.

Fadi i agree here, stir fried should not class as same as "fried" foods. people always place them together... i been told a million times stir fried meats wont help me to be lean etc... but there is only so much steamed and boiled and dry grilled meats you can handle.

Fadi i agree here, stir fried should not class as same as "fried" foods. people always place them together... i been told a million times stir fried meats wont help me to be lean etc... but there is only so much steamed and boiled and dry grilled meats you can handle.

Great point Modo!

Fadi.

Fadi, there are four major reasons.

Firstly, we allow many foreign countries to fish in our waters, so that many of the best fish are taken by them.

Secondly, fishermen here face many regulations, permits, inspections and so on, making it difficult for them to make a living without charging high prices.

Thirdly, much of our catch is exported (especially lobster, abalone, tuna and prawns), and other countries get first pick. With all that, we import around half the fish (especially roughy, basa and the like) we eat. It's simply that we have more of a taste for the fish species from overseas. The major exception is tuna; often a country like Japan will harvest tuna in Australian waters, take the best cuts fresh, and return the poor cuts to us in tins.

Lastly, it's just not part of traditional Australian culture to eat a lot of fish. The opposite happens in Japan: beef, especially "oji beefu" (Aussie beef) is about $20-$30/kg, comes thinly-sliced and is usually bought and priced by 100g amounts rather than 1kg amounts. The more marbled (fatty) it is, the more they like it.

I think this is changing in Australia as we get more East Asians and Southeast Asians. Just as the Mediterranean peoples brought olive oil, olives, nuts and beans, cheeses, yoghurts and so on to Australian cuisine, so too are the East Asians bringing more fish.

So in the end I think it is not too off-topic, knowing where our food comes from, what makes it the price it is, the sort of cuisine we have, well... This is all part of filling our plate :)

Fadi, there are four major reasons.

Firstly, we allow many foreign countries to fish in our waters, so that many of the best fish are taken by them.

Secondly, fishermen here face many regulations, permits, inspections and so on, making it difficult for them to make a living without charging high prices.

Thirdly, much of our catch is exported (especially lobster, abalone, tuna and prawns), and other countries get first pick. With all that, we import around half the fish (especially roughy, basa and the like) we eat. It's simply that we have more of a taste for the fish species from overseas. The major exception is tuna; often a country like Japan will harvest tuna in Australian waters, take the best cuts fresh, and return the poor cuts to us in tins.

Lastly, it's just not part of traditional Australian culture to eat a lot of fish. The opposite happens in Japan: beef, especially "oji beefu" (Aussie beef) is about $20-$30/kg, comes thinly-sliced and is usually bought and priced by 100g amounts rather than 1kg amounts. The more marbled (fatty) it is, the more they like it.

I think this is changing in Australia as we get more East Asians and Southeast Asians. Just as the Mediterranean peoples brought olive oil, olives, nuts and beans, cheeses, yoghurts and so on to Australian cuisine, so too are the East Asians bringing more fish.

So in the end I think it is not too off-topic, knowing where our food comes from, what makes it the price it is, the sort of cuisine we have, well... This is all part of filling our plate :)

I knew I asked the right person! Thank you for a very informative reply Master.:)

Fadi.

I just wanted to add here, sorry Fadi, but far too many trainers I have found are trained in helping people to lose weight, not really to build muscle. so what most do is tell you not to eat this or that, blah blah blah, and talk about portion control. I for one find this really a hinderance when like me, who likes to eat properly, is told to eat 80g of brown rice, with 120g of beef (because your body can only handle 30g of protein at a time apparently) and 150g of veges with no flavouring at all (not even salt). For me that is killer. And isnt it not ethical for trainers to suggest diets to clients?? How is a young man/full grown man supposed to eat such small amounts of food and not look like an anorexic teen age girl?? same goes for nutritionists. I went and saw a sports nutritionist last year for advice. was a waste of $60. all i got told was to follow a calorie controlled diet which may help me build muscle. but in all it was about 1900 cals (clearly not enough) and a majority of the cals came from carbs, rather than protein (it was around 120g of protein in total for the day). Same thing went for favourite foods. I was asked what I liked, and I love olives, i live for them, and i was told, NO MORE OLIVES THEY ARE BAD FOR YOU! to which I argued how and they didnt give me a good reason but i was told that they were full of bad fats... which i think is stupid as maybe the ones you buy stuffed with various foods and stored in oils may be bad, but ones you have grown and preserved yourself in some salt and water surely cannot be so bad for you if eaten in moderation anyway??
So i like Fadi's idea here. society in general has warped what the ideal for men and women and what they eat is... they would have you thinking that eating McCains Healthy Choice would be the best thing to do (which is actually not that healthy for you anyway!?!?) with its portion controlled intakes for everyone. In my opinion, i think people should eat what it is their body craves, as long as it isnt something like a block of chocolate or KFC, etc, but if your body craves something like almonds, or a certain fruit or a particular food like bread or pasta or rice, then surely it wouldnt be that bad as long as you dont sit down and eat a whole pot worth of it.

I'm with you Modo. It's all about balance and being sensible about it. May be that's why I don't like the word "diet". It conjures up a mental image of STARVATION.

You've made some excellent point there Modo, especially with the olive comment. I've got 14 olive trees which produce about 40L of the best cold pressed extra virgin olive oil your heart desires; so yummy delicious and hard to beat for a healthy heart.

If I knew better when I was younger, I would certainly have exchanged many of the fats I was having in my 13500 calories to monounsaturates from olive oil and olives.

Fadi.

hmm... interesting...
i didnt know that australia imports fish too...

I knew we did import a few "exotics" but it seems bloody silly to import so much when we have the tastiest fish around IHOMO.

Since a young age we’ve been told to finish our plate or we won’t grow to be tough and strong like Mr. or Ms. X.

So true!
That sentence really reminds me of my childhood.. I'm sure this was drilled into our heads even more so by those of us with parents/grandparents with euro or similar background.
The following word, is easily the most used word in my grandma's vocabulary:
"EAT!!!!" (in russian) :)