• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Shredding for Summer

J

Josh_GTiR

Yes, it may sound vain but I want to get shredded for Summer. I have done a search around here and I couldn't find much that helped so I thought I would start a new thread.

I want to bring my bodyfat % down so I can get some abs showing and get some more definition. Currently I am in the high 12% bodyfat and I would like to get down to 10%.

I know this is done by caloric deficits and cardio. I am happy to do some cardio and am going to be doing burpees along with a mid paced jog twice a week. I am an ecto so fat does tend to fall off me when I start doing these things, though I want retain all my muscle.

This is achieved from a low carb high protein diet traditionally, but I don't want to lower my carbs to much as I am doing a 5x5 and need all the energy I can for that. I am currently in the hunt for strength, so I do not want to lose strength at all. Am I asking to much?

I have looked at Fadi's 2200 calorie diet and am thinking of having a crack at that. I am currently eating ~3500 cals a day and have not put on much fat, so maybe even his 2800 diet might be a better idea to ease into.

Can I get some advice from people that have done this in the past? There are photos in my workout journal if you want to see what I have to lose.

I have never done this so any tips would be great, thanks everyone!

Josh.

Unless you are (as a bloke) into the 20s or more in percent bodyfat, you will find it very difficult to increase strength while losing fat.

This is why most people do a cycle of bulking & increasing strength/muscle and then a cycle of cutting while maintaining or not losing too much strength/muscle.

Eg bulking, gain 4kg muscle, 4kg fat; cutting, lose 1kg muscle, 3kg fat. Overall change, +3kg muscle, +1kg fat. Result: you are bigger with smaller percent bodyfat.

Bulk autum-winter, cut in spring, enjoy summer, repeat. :D

Yeah I know, I did bulk a little over 2 months. I went from 71.5kg - 78kg. Now I just want to reduce some of the fat I have put on.

I think I will just lower my caloric intake slightly and do some low cardio to try and get some fat burning, along with some burpees etc.

If I can do it over the next 2 months slowly, i'll be happy.

Yep, just be aware that a caloric deficit will limit your strength gains, they won't be zero, but they'll be less than they would be with a surplus.

You can't do everything at once.

But hey, I am 15-16% BF, so you already seem lean to me anyway :D

HAHA, I just want abs to come back!

They were visible for a while and now they have dissapeared!