• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How to avoid injuries

PTC

I dont want arguments in this thread. If you do fruity ass core workouts, dont justify them in here, its not a personal attack.

I run a gym, and if clients get injured and cant train, I can't eat. I love to eat. A lot. Often.

In nearly 2 years, we have had 2 soft tissue injuries only, hamstring pulls, one sprinting, one deadlifting. Thats a pretty good track record when you consider the weights we shift.

Regardless of who you are and your level, I'm going to smash your posterior chain and core. Without a doubt, this is the most important area for anybody that lifts weights. I do this for insurance. Later on your going to be asked to do some pretty stupid things, you need to prepare now.

As far as PC goes, I've yet to find anything more effective than Ukrainian deadlifts. We do these with a 64kg kettlebell while standing on 32cm blocks. the range of motion on this lift is enourmous as the hands start beneath the feet. The ability to keep a flat back while doing this is commendable, but not neccesary. I'm waiting for the experts now.

Without building up a strong back in the curved back position, you are exposing yourself to an injury outside the gym. Most objects in real life dont have handles and sit up nice and high. Watch the competitors lift rocks in the WSM, you have to round your back.

On deadlifts, cleans and squats, the back stays flat. On effort work where the weight is not a 1RM, like UDL's, Granite stone lifts, rounding of the back is inevitable, and one of the reasons why my lifters dont hurt their backs.

I'm not telling you to train recklessly, but if you are doing a lift like I described, you have no option, same goes with sandbags. If you never strengthen your back whilst in a challenging position, first time that situation occurs outside the gym youre likely to hurt yourself.

So mix it up with cleans, deads, UDL, SGDL of blocks, SLDL and you eliminate much chance of an injury, thats what my experiences tell me.

Now what about the core? Medicine ball tosses, overhead, forward, sideways, overhead walks, overhead squats, walking deadlifts, kneeling overhead press, front squats, standing overhead pressing, pressing an unstable object, Australian Kettlebells have an Aqua bag, it has water and sloshes around. These are all great ways to train your core. Sitting on a ball is useless. Work your core from a standing position.

Most people get injured while standing up, train your PC and core the same way. If you injure your back while laying down, you have more serious issues.

Someone is always going to show you a fancy way of training these muscles. Tell them to f u c k off. Unless of course they have the Ab blaster or whatever its called, the one on Foxtel with the hot chicks twisting, I love that ad.

Try this. Get 2 x 20kg KB's or DB's. Press one overhead, then bend down, pick up the other one, clean it and press it without lowering the first one you pressed, then swap arms.

Heres another killer, Turkish get ups. If you dont know what they are, google it. The idiot that invented these should be shot.

Remember, enjoy what you do.

Supposing a physio had excluded deadlift motions...

Seems like there are still a fair few you could do, like the Turkish Getups. I would say there's always a way to train around a condition or injury, even guys in wheelchairs do powerlifting.