• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Stiff/Sore Back

H

hunta

Hi guys woke up yesterday morning with a stiff lower back, must have slept wrong, yesterday afternoon i trained and did some heavy squats after the last set back was feeling stiffer and even was sore to bend over. Today is the same what you guys suggest i do, just take it easy for a bit??
Cheers, Joel

This sounds like what I had - does it hurt to bend forward?

Take it easy - hopefully it's just a case of severe DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness). If pain persists, see a doctor, of course.

This sounds like what I had - does it hurt to bend forward?

Take it easy - hopefully it's just a case of severe DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness). If pain persists, see a doctor, of course.

Yeah it hurts to bend forward a little. Yeah ill just take it easy on it for a while
Thanks

Yep, sounds pretty similar. The pain was actually extremely excruciating for me - I was convinced I had done something in permanently - thank goodness it vanished after 2 days. I got it through deadlifting and Kettlebell swings but I can see that squats might have the same effect. I wonder if you need your form checked out, just in case??

Yep, sounds pretty similar. The pain was actually extremely excruciating for me - I was convinced I had done something in permanently - thank goodness it vanished after 2 days. I got it through deadlifting and Kettlebell swings but I can see that squats might have the same effect. I wonder if you need your form checked out, just in case??
Yeah im very strict with my form but seeing as it was a little stiff already and i was lifting heavy, i think that contributed it

In future, make sure you have warmup sets before and and cooldown set after your work sets. For example, if you normally do,

5x 100kg
5x 110kg
5x 120kg

instead have,

20x 20kg - just the bar, gradually increasing range of motion to warm and stretch the muscles
5x 50kg
5x 75kg
and then the work sets
5x 100kg
5x 110kg
5x 120kg
and finally a cooldown set
20x 20kg

After the workout's finished, try five minutes on the treadmill followed by some static stretching - stretch and hold for the major muscles used in that session. Most gyms will have posters up of stretches you can do.

Having a good warmup reduces your chance of injury, and many people find that warmup, cooldown and stretches reduce their DOMS quite a bit.

I have never had that feeling in my back from squats. Are you sure your form is correct? You may be using your back a bit to much on the drive up?

In future, make sure you have warmup sets before and and cooldown set after your work sets. For example, if you normally do,

5x 100kg
5x 110kg
5x 120kg

instead have,

20x 20kg - just the bar, gradually increasing range of motion to warm and stretch the muscles
5x 50kg
5x 75kg
and then the work sets
5x 100kg
5x 110kg
5x 120kg
and finally a cooldown set
20x 20kg

After the workout's finished, try five minutes on the treadmill followed by some static stretching - stretch and hold for the major muscles used in that session. Most gyms will have posters up of stretches you can do.

Having a good warmup reduces your chance of injury, and many people find that warmup, cooldown and stretches reduce their DOMS quite a bit.
Thanks mate ill do this in future

Good luck, I hope it helps. If not, off to the physio. Lift iron for long enough and eventually you become friends with a physio ;)