• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

I cant afford any supplements. What can i do?

P

Phippsy

Hi there,
My name is Jack and i just want to know like if i cant afford supplements (due to not enough money) what can i do for a post, pre and during workout meal/drink.

It would mean alot thanks.

All you need is good food.

Eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts and beans, and some meat, fish and dairy. If you want to get bigger, eat lots of starchy foods (rice, pasta, bread, spuds), if you want to get smaller, eat less. Look at the results you get for physique changes and energy levels, and adjust the quantities to suit.

We can't suggest exact quantities because that depends on how big you are now, how much of it is muscle, how hard you'll be working out, and a zillion other things. You just have to start with the right kinds of foods, see how they affect your growth and energy levels and health, and adjust as you go.

Why have protein/carb powder at all? Well, it can make it easier to eat and digest big amounts, and some people trying to build up end up eating quite big amounts. It's easier to drink a shake than eat a steak, and digests quicker, too.

The cheapest protein/carb powder is skim milk powder, which you can get for $4-$6 a kilogram at the supermarket. Eggs can be had for $6 for a tray of 30, and the cheapest milk is long-life brandless milk, about $1.08/lt.

I make a workout drink of 500ml milk, 3 eggs, 100g skim milk powder, and have half before and half after the workout. Costs about $2 to make. This provides 1,000 calories, 70+g of protein and carbs both, and 44g fat - the carbs and fat will be burned up by the workout and recovery, the protein goes to build the muscles you tore down in the workout.

Last edited:
G'day Jack,

There is a great Australian book called Gold Medal Nutrition by a bloke called Glenn Cardwell, you should be able to find it at most major book retailers for around about 30 bucks...
In this book there is a fantastic recipe for home made protein powder which is mostly made from powdered milk.
I've got the book at home so I'll post the recipe for you later when I go home from work...

All you need is good food.

Eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts and beans, and some meat, fish and dairy. If you want to get bigger, eat lots of starchy foods (rice, pasta, bread, spuds), if you want to get smaller, eat less. Look at the results you get for physique changes and energy levels, and adjust the quantities to suit.

We can't suggest exact quantities because that depends on how big you are now, how much of it is muscle, how hard you'll be working out, and a zillion other things. You just have to start with the right kinds of foods, see how they affect your growth and energy levels and health, and adjust as you go.

Why have protein/carb powder at all? Well, it can make it easier to eat and digest big amounts, and some people trying to build up end up eating quite big amounts. It's easier to drink a shake than eat a steak, and digests quicker, too.

The cheapest protein/carb powder is skim milk powder, which you can get for $4-$6 a kilogram at the supermarket. Eggs can be had for $6 for a tray of 30, and the cheapest milk is long-life brandless milk, about $1.08/lt.

I make a workout drink of 500ml milk, 3 eggs, 100g skim milk powder, and have half before and half after the workout. Costs about $2 to make. This provides 1,000 calories, 70+g of protein and carbs both, and 44g fat - the carbs and fat will be burned up by the workout and recovery, the protein goes to build the muscles you tore down in the workout.

Thanks so much man after school tomorrow ill go down to coles and pick up some skim milk powder =). As for eggs ill just use the ones we have (live on a small farm so get 3-6 fresh eggs daily)

but yeh thanks again it means alot

Kyle, is long life milk nutritionally as good as fresh milk?
I know that long life milk is heat treated, and I like the slight difference in taste of it better than fresh milk, but is it as effective?

If it is, then why wouldn't everybody just buy UHT long life milk which lasts nearly forever in the cupboard?

G'day Jack,

There is a great Australian book called Gold Medal Nutrition by a bloke called Glenn Cardwell, you should be able to find it at most major book retailers for around about 30 bucks...
In this book there is a fantastic recipe for home made protein powder which is mostly made from powdered milk.
I've got the book at home so I'll post the recipe for you later when I go home from work...

Ok man that would be awesome. I am amazed by the amount of help i have gotten so far and im a new member. I have tried other body building sites and asked these same questions but most of the people who reply are kids trying to act tuff and just say eat alot (not going into detail and saying what to eat) and yer than there are others who just take the piss out of me for not knowing

Kyle, is long life milk nutritionally as good as fresh milk?
I know that long life milk is heat treated, and I like the slight difference in taste of it better than fresh milk, but is it as effective?
The vitamins and minerals are less in UHT than in fresh milk. The various B vitamins and calcium are a bit less.

However, in the case of people trying to build muscle, well we drink heaps of milk and have heaps of other good food so I don't think it's an issue.

In general I would say raw milk > pasteurised > heat-treated > powdered, just as I'd say that fresh vegies > frozen vegies. But in the end if that particular form of the food is going to make sure you get lots into you, well it's good. 10% less nutrients, but you eat twice as much, well okay that's still more nutrients than you were getting before!

And in this case, for Phippsy it's a money issue. We have to compromise sometimes.

The Hulk said:
If it is, then why wouldn't everybody just buy UHT long life milk which lasts nearly forever in the cupboard?
You'd have to ask those who don't buy it why they don't. I imagine it's mostly the taste issue. Plus if it can be stored in the cupboard, you tend to leave it there and it's not cold, and nowadays we're accustomed to having cold drinks all the time. The fresh you'll leave in the fridge. So people think, "UHT milk = warm milk, yuk."
Phippsy said:
I am amazed by the amount of help i have gotten so far and im a new member.
No worries, mate, that's what we're here for. There are a couple of us who have made our careers out of helping newbies, or will do, or at least enjoy it as a hobby. Plus if we're nice to newbies they stick around ;)

"
No worries, mate, that's what we're here for. There are a couple of us who have made our careers out of helping newbies, or will do, or at least enjoy it as a hobby. Plus if we're nice to newbies they stick around ;)

Ill be here for quite sometime by the looks of it :) and i hope that some day ill have enough experience to help others that are in my situation.

Phippsy, you live on a small farm and get 3-6 eggs daily, then be selfish and eat them yourself, you need them.

yeah, wy not?

Scramble, poached, hard boiled, soft boiled, fried. mixed in a blender with bananas and oats.. the list goes on.

Glennergy DIY Protein Powder

Taken from Gold Medal Nutrition by Glenn Cardwell, sports dietitian so I'll write it verbatim:

'If you really believe you need a protein supplement here is one that will save you heaps of money. I named it after myself, in the hope of gaining a place in history. You can make it for around 20% of the retail cost of a similar protein powder.

1 kilogram skim milk powder
7 tablespoons sugar
7 tablespoons flavour (e.g. Milo, Nesquick)
1 multivitamin tablet (optional)

Method: Mix together. Add powder to water. Add sugar and flavour to taste.

Nutritional analysis per 100 g of powder:
Protein 27 g
Carbohydrates 62 g
Fat 2 g
Calcium 980 mg
Energy 1540 kj (370 Cals)

Compare these figures with the ones on your protein powder. If you want to make the vitamin figures look more impressive then add an inexpensive multivitamin tablet.

Remember:

• You body cannot tell the difference between expensive, imported protein and locally made protein. If you truly believe you need extra protein, then an inexpensive drink like Glennergy is the way to go.
  • You protein powder may have more protein, mainly because it has had the carbohydrates extracted. Compare the cost per gram of protein.
  • Glennergy also makes an ideal pre-sport meal. You may want to blend in some fruit rather than adding flavouring.'

Addenda

• Active people and athletes need protein in increased amounts when compared to spectator.
  • The protein needs of an athlete can be met adequately with a variety of healthy foods.
  • An inexpernsive milk-based protein drink like Glennergy or Triple G can be a useful adjunct to a healthy diet.
  • Protein can be converted to glucose to be used as a muscle fuel, but this usually only occurs near the end of endurance sports such as triathlons, marathons or iron man events
Interesting fact: protein powders and weight gain powders have virtually the same ingredients as weight loss powders - milk powder, soy protein, sugars, vitamins and flavour.

So there you go Phippsy I hope that helps you out.

Last edited:
Kyle's going to like that post! It's very similar to his protein drink ie. the skim milk powder.