• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

DOMS since Wednesday

BoyFromAus

so on Wednesday, I did quite a killer leg routine (for my standards)..
and then on Thursday, I did upper body and yesterday I did HIIT.

Now it's Saturday and it's my leg workout day again except I still have DOMS from the Wednesday workout... it's improving (today it's less painful than on Thursday morning) but it's still there.

Should I be resting or should I do some sort of Active recovery like low weights, high reps..

and also, to speed up the recovery, should i be eating at caloric surplus just for one day or so?.. currently i'm cutting so most of the time on calorie deficit

I find that low weight, high reps, or some cardio help along recovery from DOMS. And yes, plenty of food. Your body is repairing those torn-up muscles, this is your chance to build them! Go eat a steak or a kilogram of tofu or something :D

A good warm-up then stretch and you won't even feel the DOM's while squatting, get stuck into it.

ManFromAus,

Get stuck into some high (30) rep squats and plenty of lemon juice mixed with clean water. Lemon juice is the king of alkalinity once it enters your body (it's got a rating of 9 on he alkaline/acid scale) Cola is rated at 2 (extremeley acidic), water is neutral at 7. Mix lemon juice with water and sea salt (which is alkaline forming in its own right).

Now don't forget to do some quadriceps as well as hamstrings streching (and hold that strech postion for about 30 seconds WITHOUT "rocking"). Just smooth and steady does it.

Fadi.

Last edited:
yeah guys i've done stretching and hi rep ultra low weights as well as been on calorie surplus for the last two days... still haven't recovered.. I think i'll recover by tomorrow or Tuesday though.. sux in the short run but in all fairness, i've never worked out that rough before.

Just started doing deadlifts and squats again after recovering from an injury and have a sore right hammy.

Just wondering what is the consensus on DOMS like this? I'm scheduled for a session today, but should I do it? Work through it or wait for it to heal ?

Just started doing deadlifts and squats again after recovering from an injury and have a sore right hammy.

Just wondering what is the consensus on DOMS like this? I'm scheduled for a session today, but should I do it? Work through it or wait for it to heal ?

Just warm-up with exercise, gradually increasing the weight, you'll be right it will go away.

That's if it is muscle ache.

Just warm-up with exercise, gradually increasing the weight, you'll be right it will go away.

That's if it is muscle ache.

Just wanted to follow up on this.... I followed your advice and worked through it and didn't have a problem during the session. Wonder how sore I'm going to be tomorrow or the next day thought, time will tell.

Legs feel fine today, I'll work through DOMS from now on :)

Excellent.

More often than not, people don't work through it.

I suspect DOMS has nothing to do with muscle taring, more the tendons, ligaments and muscle bursar adapting.

No proof at all, just a gut feeling based on what I've read.

How long can doms go for? And why do you think you get more doms when doing high reps as opposed to low reps heavy weight? Dont get me wrong I actually like doms cause its an indicator I have worked out properly but when it goes on for to long its a pain in the hole.

the DOMS is more intense when one does *negative work without the positive portion of the exercise.

*when a partner/s do the positive portion and you lower it.

Don't know why, just is.
You will reach the threshold a lot quicker than with your standard method.
But the pain should always subside after 48 hours.
But it shouldn't stop one from training.

How long can doms go for? And why do you think you get more doms when doing high reps as opposed to low reps heavy weight? Dont get me wrong I actually like doms cause its an indicator I have worked out properly but when it goes on for to long its a pain in the hole.

You are incorrect.
DOMS is an indicator of you not doing enough or you are doing something wrong.

DOMS can be used to an advantage, if one has not done a particular exercise for some time, DOMS will occur, but use can tell which muscle groups have been targeted.

Take a rest from the bench for a month, then go crazy on it, the next day you will know which muscles are moving the bar.

You are incorrect.
DOMS is an indicator of you not doing enough or you are doing something wrong.

DOMS can be used to an advantage, if one has not done a particular exercise for some time, DOMS will occur, but use can tell which muscle groups have been targeted.

Take a rest from the bench for a month, then go crazy on it, the next day you will know which muscles are moving the bar.

I never thought of that before. Well I guess im doing squats properly or at the very least im hitting the correct muscles.

the DOMS is more intense when one does *negative work without the positive portion of the exercise.

*when a partner/s do the positive portion and you lower it.

Don't know why, just is.
You will reach the threshold a lot quicker than with your standard method.
But the pain should always subside after 48 hours.
But it shouldn't stop one from training.

Are you sure about the 48 hours thing? I still have doms and its been awhile. In this case it is my legs. Everytime i do squats after even a week of not lifting i get Doms for a fair amount of time. Much longer than 48 hours.

It also happens with my chest but nothing like my legs.

Are you sure about the 48 hours thing? I still have doms and its been awhile. In this case it is my legs. Everytime i do squats after even a week of not lifting i get Doms for a fair amount of time. Much longer than 48 hours.

It also happens with my chest but nothing like my legs.

You have bigger problems than doms, if you have pain a week later.