• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How long to use a treadmill for toning up

M

MADDYSMUM

Hi everyone.:confused:
I have been using a treadmill at home now for 3 and a half weeks.
I started off with 20 minutes, then 30, now I am doing 45 minutes every night. I use a program which starts off as walking, then fast walk, then light jog, then running on 7. I do a total of about 3.45 k according to the reading on the treadmill.

Is this ok to tone up. I made my goal weight about 5 weeks ago, and do not wish to lose any more weight. I am just maintaining my weight by eating LOW GI and exercise.

Your opinions are well appreciated. Thanks
AngieXX

"Tone up" means "lose fat and gain muscle."

Walking on a treadmill will lose you some fat, but will not gain you any muscle. Thus, the best way to use a treadmill to tone up is to pick it up and put it down. That is, you need to lift weights, and lift heavy.

Have a look through some of the threads around here, particularly anything written by Bree and Katie.

Found Angie's name.

...Thus, the best way to use a treadmill to tone up is to pick it up and put it down. That is, you need to lift weights, and lift heavy.

Angie,

Kyle has a very valid point. I'll add this though: if for some reason you find yourself very attached to your treadmill (and some people are), then may I suggest you place it in an incline position so as to stress your largest muscles of all; your gluteus and legs.

Now you just have to lift some weights to tone your shoulders, arms (more than likely your triceps), chest, and back.

Again, if you don't feel like going to the gym or buying any weights, that's ok also. You can use your own bodyweight to get in some super tight shape. The good people here can point you in the right direction; just ask them nicely, sit back, and enjoy their replies.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Welcome Angie!!

First of all, a fantastic well done for achieving your goal weight :)

Do you have any more goals, having achieved your goal weight? Perhaps a bit more specific than "tone up"?

We can help you more if you give us a little bit more info! :)

Hi and thanks for your replies.

I have a pretty flat tummy, although I would love to get more definition. I don't mean getting abs, I just mean firmness if that makes sense.

I would love to strengthen my upper legs, and make them firm as they are still a little "flabby" in a sense.

Also I would love to work on my upper arms I dont have big arms, in fact I lost heaps of the 'wobbly underarms" I would love to firm these up, and gain a bit of muscle and definition.
What is the best way to approach these goals please?

I watch what I eat and I have 2 small pieces of protein a day, 3-4 cups of vegies, good carbs, and low fat diary.

Advice would be wonderful from you professionals:)

Hi Angie,

I would suggest you try some interval training in your treadmill venture. Interval training can result in less lactic acid build-up and thus fewer muscle aches and pains than weight training.
Other benefits include:

• It adds variety to your exercise routine. It makes it feel like more of a challenge. – it keeps it interesting.
  • It will speed up the typical workout. You’ll get more exercise in a shorter amount of time because during your quick bursts you’re pushing it harder than you normally do.
  • When you increase the intensity of a workout you naturally improve your personal best aerobic capacity and your cardiovascular fitness. You’ll be able to work harder than you have been in the past.
try something like this>..

Warm Up: 5-10 minutes
Low 5 minutes: 3.0+ mph, 0% incline
High 1 minutes: 3.2+ mph, incline: 6%
Medium 2 minutes: 3.0+ mph, incline: 1%
High 1 minute: 3.3+ mph, incline: 6%
Medium 2 minutes: 3.0+ mph, incline 1%
High 1 minute: 4.0+ mph, incline 3%
Medium 2 minutes: 3.0+mph, incline: 1%
High 1 minutes: 4.5+mph, incline: 2%
Medium 2 minutes: 3.0+mph, incline 1%
High 1 minute: 5.0+mph, incline 0%
High 1 minute: 3.2+mph, incline 8%
Medium 3 minutes: 3.0+mph, incline 0%
Low 5 minutes: 2.5 mph+, incline: 0% - cool down

Total workout time 32 - 37 mins

I would have to agree tho, although the interval style cardio (HIIT) will both build muscle and burn excess fat, arms and upper body would definatley benifit from some type of resistance training.

hope this was helpful

MD

Last edited:
If you want to build some muscle mass you may need to have a look at your diet. Do you eat Chicken or Red Meat? Personally I think some Woman eat to little as a way of keeping lean or losing fat. If you excersize right and eat right, you will be amazed at what you can eat. I am not talking fatty foods, but great quality food and never having to go hungry.

Hi
I eat chicken, red meat and fish. I mix them up every week, but I have 2 protein serves everyday with 3 cups of vegies. I dont eat white bread, I have soy/linseed and I also eat nuts throughout the day.

You sound like the next thing to do is pick up some iron! Good work.