• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Creatine - gone hard

N

NotBigNuf

The bottom of my creatine tub has gone hard I'm just wondering if it's ok to crush it up or is it time for new stuff

How old is it?
If in doubt toss it away. Creatine Mono is cheap. Aminoz has it for $30/kg which should last you many months.

is this the creatine you mean?
now foods creating monohydrate
i was also told to have 20grams of creatine for the first week then drop down to 10grams once a day?
also wondering if you recomend anything else im currently on a maxx's bulk gainer protein, and thats it...

I recommend using 5gms creatine daily not 10 and once finished the Max's wallet emptier buy some bulk WPC and a crap load of oats.

hmmm seems between last night and today they have run out of stock, tried to get in contact with aminoz member but i havnt built up 10 posts yet.

do you recomend any other monohydrate creatine?

Just found this thread.

We just sold out of the creatine mono. We do have a few other alternatives available at:

Creatine Supplements

Also getting in more Dymatize Creatine Monohydrate Micronized 1.1kg shortly, just awaiting delivery.

With the WPC, the best value we have available is the Dymatize Elite (WPI/WPC blend): Dymatize Elite Whey 4.5kg Protein Powder

If there is a particular brand/product you are after, let me know and I'll try and source it for you. You can contact me directly through the site or PM on here.

so when should i take the creatine once a day, at any time? or preferably before workout?

My Protien has almost come to an end so can you please explain WPC Bulk Protien please, is it simple pecause isolate has less fat then the concentrate?

if aminoz you can recomend anything use have please do

Last edited:
I have some in my pre and post workout shakes, just dont have it with fatty foods as it may interfere with absorption and drink heaps of water during the day. If youre going to take it once 5gm if your going to take it twice 3 g / shake. The rule of thumb is to take it with hi a GI carb such as dextrose as the insulin spike will boost absorption.

so when should i take the creatine once a day, at any time? or preferably before workout?

My Protien has almost come to an end so can you please explain WPC Bulk Protien please, is it simple pecause isolate has less fat then the concentrate?

if aminoz you can recomend anything use have please do

When consuming once a day, it's usually easiest pre/post workout when insulin is increased for amino acid uptake due to the presence of high GI carbs such as dextrose as kingpin mentioned.

With regards to the WPC versus Isolate, we do have a few products available. If you're looking for bulk, probably the best value for money would be:

Dymatize Elite Whey 4.5kg Protein Powder

or

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard Protein Powder 4.7kg

They are two of our best sellers and are a WPI/WPC mix. Whilst pure WPI may be taken up slightly quicker, if you are budget conscious stick with a WPI/WPC mix. The difference may be minimal.

But if you are willing to invest the additional money into WPI for a faster protein uptake, the two good products I would recommend would be:

AST Sports Science VP2 Protein Powder 908g

or

Dymatize Nutrition ISO 100 2.27kg Protein Powder

The ISO-100 comes in much better value for money, yet the VP2 does have a good reputation.

Dextrose is a form of glucose. It is a simple sugar and has a very high glycemic index. A high GI carbohydrate source is extremely important post workout to create an insulin response. The presence of insulin is required in order to allow muscle cells to "take-up" amino acids to synthesise muscle.

Dextrose is great and highly cost effective. You can also try Dymatize Flud Waxy Maize 1.878kg

Pre workout,

Has anyone tried MRI black powder? bit pricey at $110 for small tube that last 30 days.

Aminoz, re your comment on Hi GI and your reference to Waxy Maize.

You might be interested in a Purdue University study that shows that Waxy Maize is not the Hi GI carb that everyone was lead to believe that it was. As a matter of fact Hi GI foods have a score > 70, white bread for example is 71 and waxy maize has a GI of 63. Apparently the real deal is a product called Vitargo which the supplement marketers didn't bother to explain was used to produce Vitargo through a very complex processing method. The purdue university studies confirmed this in July 2009 and you can imagine the uproar from people swore by WMS as their hi GI carb supp for PWO recovery.

PubMed Home

or if you all don't mind the cut and post:

University Study Shows Waxy Maize Starch Study Could Serve as Slow, Sustained Energy Source Low Glycemic Carb Could Help Fuel Military Personnel, Endurance Athletes

Irvine, CA – July 30, 2009– Purdue University researchers may have found a new use for an old starch—waxy maize starch—to offer sustained energy delivery to military personnel and endurance athletes.

Waxy maize starch, called ‘waxy’ because of the appearance of the kernel under cross section, was brought from China to the US in the early 1900s. In the study, published in the current issue of Nutrition Research, waxy maize starch was compared to a mixture of maltodextrin and sugars, and to white bread. The study confirmed previous studies showing waxy maize starch to be slowly digested and absorbed, producing a much smaller increase in blood sugar and insulin.

“Waxy maize starch appears to provide slow, sustained delivery of energy to the body,” offered sports nutrition researcher Chad Kerksick, PhD of the University of Oklahoma Department of Health and Exercise Science. “These new findings confirm what we have seen in our study comparing waxy maize starch to maltodextrin.”

In the Purdue study twelve lean and fit young men and women received a 50 gram dose of carbohydrates supplied by white bread, waxy maize starch, or a maltodextrin and sucrose mixture (approximately 3:1 ratio), on three different days. Blood glucose and blood insulin responses to the carbohydrate sources were followed for four hours, along with measurements of calorie burning rate and subjective measurements of appetite and fullness.

The study performed an assessment of the glycemic index, a measure of the excursion of blood sugar relative to a “control” carbohydrate, white bread, and a fast digesting and absorbing carbohydrate source, maltodextrin plus sugar, at 2 and 4 hours after ingestion. At 2 hours, maltodextrin plus sugar achieved a glycemic index of 163, waxy maize starch had a value of 63, and white bread 71. The blood insulin response, influenced by how fast the carbohydrate was digested and absorbed, was 3.5 times higher, and substantially faster in the first hour with maltodextrin plus sugar, and 1.6 times higher with white bread, relative to waxy maize starch. None of the carbohydrate treatments differed in their influence on hunger, appetite, or calories burned.

“This study with waxy maize starch directly refutes what numerous sport nutrition product companies are claiming—that waxy maize starch is fast absorbing and raises insulin sharply,” described Susan Kleiner, PhD, RD, director of High Performance Nutrition, LLC in the Seattle area, and the author of the best selling book Power Eating, Third Edition. “It actually may be best suited for long endurance exercise or for persons who experience blood sugar fluctuations, as blood sugar did not drop below the starting point 4 hours after waxy maize starch but did with maltodextrin plus sugars,” added Dr. Kleiner.

“Although an exercise endurance test was not performed, we and other researchers have shown that at least over a 2 hour period, waxy maize starch does not enhance endurance performance over maltodextrin,” added Dr. Kerksick. “What would be interesting to explore is whether waxy maize starch would shine in ultra-endurance training or competition, in events lasting 4 hours or more. This may be why the military had an interest.”

This study was funded by the US Army, Natick Soldier Research Development & Engineering Center, Combat Feeding Program in Natick, MA.