• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Re-Feed & Re-Lose

Fadi

Leptin- The Fat Regulating
Hormone

When you diet for a bodybuilding competition, your main aim apart from having the proportioned beef is to make sure that that beef is well primed. Chiseled, cut, shredded, ripped, call it what you will, the beef has to be 95% lean or leaner. Now that's an anatomy book ultra sharp razor look. So you're happy dieting along when weight and fat loss come to a screeching halt. What caused it? Some bodybuilders continue to loose, but instead of looking sharper, they begin to look flatter. Why? Two questions that need to be answered before we proceed.

What caused the stoppage in weight and fat loss? It was the fat regulating hormone Leptin. It sounds like some sort of tea you drink, but this is no tea. This is what testosterone is to a bodybuilder wanting to gain muscle mass, the only difference is that this powerhouse of a hormone deals with fat loss. Without testosterone you can't build substantial muscles, and similarly, without Leptin you cannot shed the fat off to show those built muscles to their maximum ability.

Now to the second question. Bodybuilders who continue to lose weight yet look flatter instead of sharper are mainly loosing muscles instead of fat and what’s left of their muscles has been deflated by a lack of muscle glycogen. The ratio has shifted to where the body is now cannibalising itself for its own survival. This should be a wakeup call to any dieting bodybuilder, that the balance of the macros as well as the total caloric intake is not right. However since this article is about refeeds, I'll get back to talking about our powerful friend Leptin.

Leptin is mainly made by our fat cells, their number as well as their size has an effect on the rate of its release, (this will become clearer soon). A small amount of Leptin comes from our muscles, (nothing to write home about though). So why is Leptin made and released into our blood stream? Leptin presence in our blood stream helps us with regulating our appetite, gives us that hunger feelings, as well as regulate our food intake and how fast we burn it for fuel. So the lower Leptin levels fall, the higher our appetite and cravings become for all the goodies we were having when we weren't dieting. Take heart in the knowledge that this is not some weakness on your part that you're craving the goodies; it's not all in your head. No, this is the real deal built in physiological defense mechanism our body uses to stay alive. After all, its survival and therefore your survival; and NOT coming in ripped for a bodybuilding contest is its ultimate and only goal. So now we've established that less blood circulating Leptin = to more cravings and as we shall soon see, a slower metabolism. A higher level of Leptin therefore, signifies a faster metabolism where fat loss can occur. Take home message so far: don’t let your Leptin levels go too low, or at least recognize their effect if or when they do.

So as you persevere with your low and with some bodybuilders, ultra low caloric intake, your Leptin begins to act on your master gland the hypothalamus which in turn tells your brain to control your appetite up or down. In the case of our near starving bodybuilder, the message sent throughout the body would be to trigger a voracious appetite as well as slow the body's metabolism down to a crawl, where little or no fat loss will take place. It sort of defeats the purpose of what our bodybuilder has set out to achieve, doesn't it? It's only when Leptin levels return to within a normal and acceptable range that the strong cravings for food as well as the painful hunger pangs go away.

Well then, how would our well meaning bodybuilder raises his or her Leptin levels so as to kick start the fat burning process again? Some will go all out on a binging craze where they will demolish any food in sight. As I will explain shortly, this would not be in the best interest of our bodybuilding friend. You see Leptin is a fussy and a highly selective fat regulating hormone. It likes and has an affinity to high blood glucose levels. What this means is that our bodybuilder would be served better if he or she consume the majority of their calories from good sources of carbohydrates. Protein, fats, and fructose do not play a major part in boosting Leptin levels. Also, fats are best kept to a low level during this high insulin periods so as to prevent any of them from been driven away into adipose tissue. Protein is best reduced to 1g per lb of bodyweight and fructose kept low since they have no major impact upon Leptin levels.

Refeeding intensity and duration depends on few factors, namely: how hard you've been dieting and at what percentage fat level you're at. The leaner you are and the harder you've been dieting, the longer and more intense the refeeding would have to be. Calories should be higher than your caloric maintenance level and the duration should span from 12 hours and up. Don't forget, your main aim is to raise your Leptin levels. If your body fat level is at 10% or lower, refeeding should be done about twice a week. If on the other hand your fat levels are between 10-15%, refeeding ought to be done once a week to once every 10 days or so. This is not an exact art and everyone responds differently. In a nutshell, this is not different from a gym workout where if you incorporate high intensity, then by necessity the volume has to drop. On the other hand, if the intensity is low to medium, then one can afford to raise the volume. You may choose to refeed for a whole week, where the more moderate approach in eating would apply.

Ok, so you may gain the smallest amount of fat due to the refeed. However, looking at the benefits ahead of you should far outweigh any fat gained during that small period. So what exactly awaits you that make this whole body tricking so worth it? For starters, your dead metabolism will be revving back up like a muscled supercharged V8 machine. Your hormone profile will be back in balance once more.

For the men in you, that means the almighty testosterone would be back on track to serve your muscles well, with fully reloaded muscles full of skin bursting glycogen, and on another front, to lend a mighty blow to the muscle demolishing king of all, the Cortisol hormone.

For the ladies in you, a raise in Leptin spells a return to your reproduction hormones where your regular monthly cycle is back on track. The stoppage of this monthly cycle should never become an issue to our sisters in the sport, and regular refeeds should be employed so as to prevent such an occurrence from ever taking place. Any disregard to this issue will result in decreased bone density and further accentuate any risk of osteoporosis.

Finally, refeeds should not be interpreted as a wild card in the gym, where the temptation to raise the volume and intensity would be detrimental. Failing to control one's self by going all out would really be defeating the whole purpose of this powerful tool we have at our disposal as bodybuilders. Always look forward to the week ahead after your refeed, because that's where visual improvements would be realised and felt and where euphoria won't be far behind.

Neuron. 1999 Aug;23(4):775-86.
Leptin Differentially Regulates NPY and POMC Neurons Projecting to the Lateral
Hypothalamic Area Neuron, Volume 23, Issue 4, 1 August 1999, Pages 775-786.
Amongst others.

Fadi.

wow, awesome thread man.... i knew about leptin before but not in this much detail. It probably explains my plateau.

Just to double check...
So when we do a refeed, are we trying to eat simple carbs since this boosts glucose and insulin?

wow, awesome thread man.... i knew about leptin before but not in this much detail. It probably explains my plateau.

Just to double check...
So when we do a refeed, are we trying to eat simple carbs since this boosts glucose and insulin?

Your answer in a word Rasika is yes.

The type of carbs you choose will be determined by several factors here. There's no point cheating if after you've cheated you end up feeling "cheated" (pun intended). In other words, if pasta, bread, rice, and all the potatoes you have eaten did not place your mind, your psychological other in a steady happy mood instead of a wild craving animal after junk, then part of that cheat day would not have achieved its purpose.

On the other hand, after clean eating for a while, to have your body bombarded with junk may be too much of a shock for your metabolism to handle. As I've said in my article, cheating is not an exact art where one size fits all. The take home point here is that you need to satisfy your cravings physiologically as well as psychologically.

From a physiological point of view, carbs that rise insulin are the way to go. Fructose does not fall into that category. That is why if I was to have fruit juice, I'd go for what is NOT 100% fruit juice but the 25-35% instead with the rest coming from sugar for example. I hope I've answered your question.

Fadi.

Last edited:
can you get blood tests to check your leptin levels?

Yes Modo you can check for it however it’s a good idea to discuss something else with your doctor about this fat regulating hormone. It’s the fact that obese people have an unusually high circulating amount of leptin that made scientist look for other causes of obesity. What they found (something you may want to discuss with your doctor) is the fact just as in insulin resistant type 2 diabetes; there is such a state of leptin resistance, where craving for sweets is not affected due to the leptin receptors been resistant to its efect.

Which brings me to your (possible issue) with testosterone. You have what is called free testosterone and bound testosterone. Ask your doctor to give you a blood test for testosterone and emphesise to him that you’d want to know the level of free as opposed to the testosterone that is bound to what is called SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin). I’m using my memory here Modo so please do check what I’m writing for accuracy. If doctors can test us for the diference between HDL and LDL cholesterol, then surely they can extend their effort and test us for free Vs bound testosterone. Give it a shot, you’ve got nothing to lose Modo.

I’ve digressed, sorry.

Fadi.

Fadi, what about chocolate..

chocolate has sucrose. Will sucrose create an insulin response which can raise leptin levels?

chocolate has sucrose. Will sucrose create an insulin response which can raise leptin levels?

Yes. But the fat content may just blunt it a bit. You try it, record it, get feedback on it, learn from it.

Fadi.

What is the best things you suggest to eat on a re-feed day?/Mattias

Mattias, as I’ve stated in my re-feed article, refeed is about the psychological aspect as much as the physiological one. So if your mind it put at ease and you’re feeling happy and relaxed because of the refeed, then you can be sure your testosterone is dominating over your cortisol. And since we want to raise insulin and drive all the glycogen into the muscles, I’d go for every single food that your appetite is craving. Potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, WMS, Pancakes (yummy!). Breakfast cereals that have plenty of sugar is another good choice. Do not add fat to your food and insure 2g of protein per kilogram of bodyweight. And of course record every minute detail (as I’m sure you’re doing already).

Ok I’ll give you one of my secrets (don’t tell anyone though Mattias): Carrot Juice.
Carrot juice has a GI of about 92 (glucose =100), so it’s way up high. The only reason carrots are ok in normal every day life is because of their low glycimic load (GL), but not here and we are going to use this sweet baby to our advantage (like I said, this is our secret). Actually I haven’t told anyone about this before, now everyone knows!

Does that mean you can’t have a biscuit or a chocolate bar? Of course not, but just insure that the majority of your food comes from carbs (preferably ones that are nutrient dense like sweet potatoes etc). Oops, I had to come back and edit by adding your favourite I'm sure: PIZZA! Go for home made or take your very low fat cheese to your pizza maker and enjoy all the low fat toppings (as we were discussing last time remember: prawns/seafood etc). Bon appetit Mattias!

Do not go crazy with fruit due to its fructose content which will put out the fire of insulin we are trying so desperately to ignite.

Fadi.

Last edited:

I may be way off track here but, isnt sucrose just fructose and glucose bound at a 1:1 ratio???
hopefully fadi can clarify this.

I may be way off track here but, isnt sucrose just fructose and glucose bound at a 1:1 ratio???
hopefully fadi can clarify this.

Yes it is Shammo but what adifference that one part of glucose makes to the overall effect on the GI.

Fructose used by itself will not give the insulin spikes that are seen when one uses sucrose or even better still glucose or as close to it as one can get. I’ll give you some GI numbers to illustrate the point.

Sucrose....68 (that will give an insulin spike despite the 1:1 ratio of fructose to glucose).
Glucose....100 (perfect for what we here-insulin need spike/rise)
Fructose....19 (no insulin spike/rise here)
Glucose consumed with protein and fat....56 (not bad but not perfect either, hence the near zero amount fat and low protein around the training time and for leptin release)

Check this out for further information: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/glycemicindlist.htm

Fadi.

as i suspected thanks fadi. i only hope everyone else is as thankfull as i for the knowledge you bring to the table.

as i suspected thanks fadi. i only hope everyone else is as thankfull as i for the knowledge you bring to the table.

Shammo, although you and I are having some real meaningful exchanges here in "our little corner", I somehow feel that not many know about it!

I think with every question you ask me, I can start a new thread on the subject. I welcome the challenge for it brings real credibility to an already one mighty credible forum that is AUSSB.

Fadi.

thanks for that awsome post..

Will come in handy soon. When i can deadlift 200kg for reps it iwll be time to shed some gut ;)

thanks for that awsome post..

Will come in handy soon. When i can deadlift 200kg for reps it iwll be time to shed some gut ;)

It's my pleasure noobs. And yes, I'd love to see you smash the magic TWO ZERO ZERO!

Fadi.