• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Magic wake up shake

Fadi

Upon waking up yesterday, I decided to make myself a shake. It was so delicious that I had to share it with you. I used my magic bullet to mix it with. Here's what I put in it:

1. WPI 30g
2. Oatmass 30g
3. 1 egg
4. 30g pitted prunes
5. 250ml apple juice.

The above is not just yummy smooth, but it's complete and healthy to boot. It has the fiber, something bodybuilders generally don't pay much attention to; it has the highest quality protein of all with an added egg for some unbeatable raw unoxidised fats with its all powerful choline for brain power, and cholesterol to nourish the endocrine system. It has the mighty Oatmass, and it has the apple juice with its fructose for some liver glycogen reload after sleeping. Have I missed anything?

Ok, here's for the feeling I got from this drink 30 minutes after its consumption whilst driving to work. I'm hot and I'm pumped. In other words, I'm perspiring and my muscles feel very tight and more than likely with vascular forearms underneath my shirt. That's how well and quickly I respond to food. Hot because the body's working overtime trying to digest the fiber from the prunes. Pumped because of all the nutrients making a quick entry into my muscles thanks to the Insulin release which was stimulated by the quick digesting WPI. I think I'm on a winner here.

Fadi.

Fadi,

It sees like your body responds very sensitively to certain foods.
Never experienced those feelings myself.

Do you think you would respond the same if you had this shake everyday, or would you build up a resistance to it and need to change to something else?

looks delicious!!!

btw is your WPI flavoured or unflavoured???

as my protein powder is choc flavoured :S

I warm up after I eat too.....I always thought it was just when I ate or drank hot food like soup. But noticed I get a bit warmer even after I eat other stuff....
Good to know when you live somewhere freeeezing. (It's only warmed up to 2 degrees outside at 9.30. I HATE THE COLD!)

Anyway, sounds nice fadi. Like Lucku said...was it flavoured protein? Im imagining vanilla or something mixed with juice would be odd.

Yes Hulk, I would repond like that due to the speed in which a "power drink" is digested and absorbed. And yes that's all the time. In comparison, food (especially carbs) will raise my temp but without the other feelings mentioned, possible due to the slower digestion process that takes place amongst other factors I've mentioned already.

Fadi.

Wow, this thing tastes awesome! Tried it yesterday minus the egg..

Fadi - I believe you mentioned that juice is a no-no for pre/post workout.. is that right?
Shame, I would love to down one of these pre and post my workout everyday - instead of mixing with water..

Unflavoured WPI + apple juice + oats/oatmass = winner! :)
I used to love apricot nectar, so will give that a try too, as I remember you mentioning that it also works well with this.

Wow, this thing tastes awesome! Tried it yesterday minus the egg..

Fadi - I believe you mentioned that juice is a no-no for pre/post workout.. is that right?
Shame, I would love to down one of these pre and post my workout everyday - instead of mixing with water..

Unflavoured WPI + apple juice + oats/oatmass = winner! :)
I used to love apricot nectar, so will give that a try too, as I remember you mentioning that it also works well with this.

Raph, I can do it but do not advice it in general due to the way fructose acts with people's fat mass. If you don't put on fat easily then by all means, go for it!

Remember fructose can not be converted into muscle glycogen. It's great for the liver's glycogen levels though. If you're really hungry before training, that's a sign that your liver's glycogen level is down and needs topping up; enter apple juice plus the other goodies...

Fadi.

Last edited:
I made up one of these this morning with some banana WPI. It was sensational, I didn't want it to end! The little bits of prune at the bottom were a tasty surprise though :)

Just had this. tasty as!

I ommitted the egg and used regular oats instead of oatmass I like a thick texture. I cooked oats in microwave then put all ingredients in blender. Made this the night before. VERY tasty!

Stats:
447 cals
3g fat
25g protein
64g sodium
6g fibre

Fadi: how do you think this would gO with grapefruit juice? Or any other particular fruit juice you recommend?

Just had this. tasty as!

I ommitted the egg and used regular oats instead of oatmass I like a thick texture. I cooked oats in microwave then put all ingredients in blender. Made this the night before. VERY tasty!

Stats:
447 cals
3g fat
25g protein
64g sodium
6g fibre
HOLY!:eek:

lol looks good I'll have to try it.

Maybe we can all add for a shake thread?

.. Here's mine anyway.

2 scoops wpc
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 eggs
1 cup frozen raspberries
2 teaspoons cocoa
1 banana
3 cups raw milk

I usually add some "healthy style wholegrain cocoa pops " 1 cup.

Two hands full of oats
Scoop of protien
Tablespoon of wheat germ
Two hands full of mixed frozen berries
Eight frozen cherries
Bottle of coconut water
Four table spoons of no fat yogurt
Top off with water after blending.

1. WPI 30g
2. Oatmass 30g
3. 1 egg
4. 30g pitted prunes
5. 250ml apple juice.

I tried something very similar this week (in fact I have been having it all week) and I think it's come out well.

For anyone that has chocolate WPI, just replace the apple juice with water. I think that it tastes a treat!

I tried something very similar this week (in fact I have been having it all week) and I think it's come out well.

For anyone that has chocolate WPI, just replace the apple juice with water. I think that it tastes a treat!

GUNS, I really can see how it would taste great as you say. However please keep in mind that I included the apple juice here for two reasons:

1. Timing
2. Form of carbohydrate

The first point deals with the fact that this drink is the breaking of the fast drink (that's the timing), and the second point deals with the fact that the form of sugar here is of two kinds, namely fructose and glucose.

Our liver (as you know) has been feeding us all night during our fast by releasing some of its stored glycogen. By having some juice first thing in the morning, you'd actually be helping your liver in its glycogen replenishment.

Does that mean you can't have it your way with chocolate whey and water instead? Well, there's no "you can't" in my book, so please feel free to have it the way you want. I was simply attempting to take advantage of the nutrient/timing combination that's all.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Fadi, your shake rocks. Simple, yet effective.

I didn't feel the feelings you described, but I've been having it for breakfast for the last 4 days and I am definitely a lot more alert in the morning. Usually it takes about an hour or so to fully wake up, now its about 10 mins after the shake. I fully agree with you on breaking that dreaded all night fast.

One thing, I tried using more juice to make the shake bigger... I would definitely stick to 250ml of juice, any more and it froths up too much. I hate frothy shakes, makes you bloated. On that, does anyone know of a food surfactant that would remove the froth? I guess you could add a minute amount of detergent, yum. ;)