• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

punch speed drills

B

benny

wow this joint has gotten huge since i've been gone

I've just taken up boxing down at the local and was wondering does shadow boxing with weights on your hands make your puches faster? any tips on increasing speed?

Hello Benny,

Avoid bicep work and get stuck into some explosive tricep and shoulder work which closely simulates the action of a punch. The exercises I can think of right now that may come in handy would be EZ bar tricep bench press. Ez bar because it'll be easier on your wrists. Aim for explosive reps off the chest in the range of 12-20.

Another exercise which I've never done but would seem appropriate in your case is to actually grab two light dumbells that will allow you to accomplish 30 reps, and perform shadow punching with them.

Military press is a compound exercise that will generate plenty of power in the tricep and shoulder areas used for punching as well.

Also, don’t underestimate your own bodyweight by incorporating some pushups into the mix.

PS: I hope you're doing some leg work as in squats. After all, that's where the force of your pucnch is driven from.

Fadi.

I think explosive dips would be good, squats,3-4kg DB shadow punching and fastish explosive push ups :) (This is what I have been doing of late and the improvement in speed is about 1.5 in 4 weeks though I train every night doing karate drills by myself :) )