• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Newb question on protien

V

velez

Hi guys great forum, ill just do a quick intro on me. im 23 im guessing a mix of ectomorph/endomorph and have been going to the gym for the last 2 years on and off taking WPC before and after my workouts. I initially started because i weighed a measley 56kg @ 178-180cm i then reached a slightly flabby 82kg in march of this year and through healthy diet and running have got myself to a slim 77kg.

Now that my diet is in check, have a regular lifestyle and back at the gym i would like to gain muscle most efficientley. Im looking to buy some protein but want to do more research.

My question is: When buying protein what exactley should we look for? (other than protein % per serve) i mean stuff like amino acids?

thanks

Start with just eating more and see how you go from there. The protein in regular food is usually the cheapest. Protein powders are for two things: when you find it hard to eat enough in regular food (eg you might get sick of chicken and tuna) and when you need protein that can be digested very quickly (any liquid digests more quickly than something solid).

Start with just eating more and see how you go from there. The protein in regular food is usually the cheapest. Protein powders are for two things: when you find it hard to eat enough in regular food (eg you might get sick of chicken and tuna) and when you need protein that can be digested very quickly (any liquid digests more quickly than something solid).

sorry i probably should have outlined eating is not my problem lol

i could get to 90kg easily if i wanted to have a bit of flab on me but id rather be 80kg and lean. My diet is fine in terms of getting chicken, red meat, rice, potatoes, vegetables, tuna, salads etc daily ive been sticking solidly to my diet for about 1 year, im in a position where i want to take the next step and make sure my body is prepared pre and post workout to capitalize on any gains that can be made there.

My problem is i dont know much about what to look for in protein powders. i know the diff in WPC and WPI thats about it

Whether you consume protein in the form of more steaks or in the form of powder, you will gain both fat and muscle. This is why many people have "bulking" and "cutting" cycles.

During the bulking cycle, they consume more calories than they spend, and gain both fat and muscle; during the cutting cycle, they consume less calories than they spend, making sure lots of those calories come from protein, and they lose both fat and muscle, but lose more fat than muscle, and don't lose as much muscle as they gained during the bulking cycle.

For example, we have someone a couple of years into training, he is 80kg and 12.5% bodyfat. That means he is 70kg lean, 10kg fat.

He does a bulking cycle for four months, and gets up to 86kg at 14% bodyfat. So he's now 74kg lean and 12kg fat. He's gained 4kg of muscle and 2kg fat.

Now he does a cutting cycle for two months, and gets down to 82kg at 11% bodyfat. He's now 73kg lean and 9kg fat. He's lost 1kg muscle and 3kg fat.

After the total six months, the net effect of his four month bulk and two month cut is that he has gained 3kg of muscle and lost 1kg of fat, going from 80kg at 12.5% bodyfat to 82kg at 11% bodyfat.

It's a bit different for a beginner, someone in their first year of training; they can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, provided they start off with a lot of fat. But that's not you, you're more experienced. So to gain muscle you will have to gain fat at the same time; this will happen whether you have protein powder or not.

sorry dude, i get and know what your saying but i don't see its relevance to my question of "When buying protein what exactley should we look for?"

i know how to get my body where i want it to be, after 2 years and finally reaching somewhere im satisfied with my training and eating habits i want to start using(properly) and help on supplements to help me along, due to my lack of knowledge on pre/post workout protein iam here. Basically taking the next step.
Its not as easy as just eating chicken after a workout to get your protein as your blood is rushing to your muscles which affects digestation of whole foods and its a slow process, i would like to supplement this with protein powders the best to my advantage and get those crucial little gains that their are post workout.

dont you worry about my bulking/cutting leave that to me, but feel free to throw any advice on what to look for in pre/post protein powders, other than protein per serve.

pre/post workout = same powder

dymatize elite 4.5kg is the cheapest

or Optimum nutrition for a bit more

a 20kg sack of protein is cheaper than both

post workout add 50-75g of dextrose

my personal opinion is that WPI is not worth the extra outlay

Last edited:
Speaking personally, I would agree with upg. WPI is expensive and from my personal training experience, a WPI/WPC blend can be just as effective without the hole in your pocket.

Personally I use the Dymatize Natural Elite (I have a new found respect for non-artificially sweetened products!), but the Dymatize Elite Whey 4.5kg Protein Powder is one of the most cost effective and also effective protein powders out there. I would suggest avoiding buying cheaper brands, because the quality of the whey will have an impact on protein synthesis. Also, just go for a straight protein to keep the costs down.

In a pre/post workout protein, based on the research I have read, it seems that whey based protein will yield best results due to the high biological value and fast absorption rates.

I would also consider L-glutamine, creatine and dextrose (get it at Big W for $2.50 a kilo in the beer brewing section!)

Awesome thanks guys, also are all amino acids and BCAA's are they all roughly the same with most whey's?

Im assuming L-glutamine and dextrose is for post workout?

Speaking personally, I would agree with upg. WPI is expensive and from my personal training experience, a WPI/WPC blend can be just as effective without the hole in your pocket.

Personally I use the Dymatize Natural Elite (I have a new found respect for non-artificially sweetened products!), but the is one of the most cost effective and also effective protein powders out there. I would suggest avoiding buying cheaper brands, because the quality of the whey will have an impact on protein synthesis. Also, just go for a straight protein to keep the costs down.

In a pre/post workout protein, based on the research I have read, it seems that whey based protein will yield best results due to the high biological value and fast absorption rates.

I would also consider L-glutamine, creatine and dextrose (get it at Big W for $2.50 a kilo in the beer brewing section!)

how much would delivery be on the dymatize to melbourne?

I do supplement reviews on another forum. I have reviewed over 50 products and done almost every brand available in Australia. If you are looking for a economical brand i would recomend Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey, it is a blend. When i road test a product i look at the following criteria. Taste, Mixability, Digestability, Type of protein, Other goodies like Glutamine etc and price per serve. I also am concerned with the quality of the raw ingredients and the processe's the ingredients go through to reach us. For outright quality i go for undernatured wheys originating from New Zealand. Alot of brands use fillers and cheaper ingredients like skim milk powder, calcium cassinate etc. The bulk whey price from the producer is what dictates what the manufacturers pay in bulk. They will price subsitute when and where they can to either make a more economical product or to raise profits. The 2 brands that i have used in no order of preference that use undernatured wheys are Xtreme Formulations Pro Peptide and Syn Tec GylcoWhey. There are others like. Dave Draper sells his own brand of protein powder and Dorian Yates also from memory. Hope this helps. So it comes down to cost or quality.
AZZA

I do supplement reviews on another forum. I have reviewed over 50 products and done almost every brand available in Australia. If you are looking for a economical brand i would recomend Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey, it is a blend. When i road test a product i look at the following criteria. Taste, Mixability, Digestability, Type of protein, Other goodies like Glutamine etc and price per serve. I also am concerned with the quality of the raw ingredients and the processe's the ingredients go through to reach us. For outright quality i go for undernatured wheys originating from New Zealand. Alot of brands use fillers and cheaper ingredients like skim milk powder, calcium cassinate etc. The bulk whey price from the producer is what dictates what the manufacturers pay in bulk. They will price subsitute when and where they can to either make a more economical product or to raise profits. The 2 brands that i have used in no order of preference that use undernatured wheys are Xtreme Formulations Pro Peptide and Syn Tec GylcoWhey. There are others like. Dave Draper sells his own brand of protein powder and Dorian Yates also from memory. Hope this helps. So it comes down to cost or quality.
AZZA

Thanks Azza, that helps heaps. I got no troubles forking out more cash for better quality so i might go with that.

how much would delivery be on the dymatize to melbourne?

It's $9.90 to Melbourne for all orders(Dymatize, Optimum etc). But orders over $300 in total have free delivery.