• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Let's break the shackles!

Fadi

And what shackles may these be you ask. The shackles that are plaguing the sport of bodybuilding and affecting its members, whether amatures or pros, that's what. Gosh Fadi, even the pros you say? Yes, even the pros. If you don’t believe what I’m saying here then go and have a look in the mirror; you’ll find the answer staring right back at you. That’s correct; you are the answer. Trace your history in this sport and see where you had started and what was your program like back then; what was the diet advise back then; and what was everything like back then? The answer: just like it is now mostly. Nothing much ever changes in the sport of bodybuilding. I’m not advocating change for the sake of change here, nothing of the kind. If something is good, then by all means stick with it and promote it. But if something is bad and bloody dangerous and unnecessarily disgusting in my opinion, then bloody well get rid of it. I am but one. A single idea in but one man’s head can change the course of history. History is a witness to that fact.

I happen to come from the Mediterranean region of the world, and I happen to be involved in the sport you’re involved in, (that’s what bonds us together), and I happen to be a member of this mighty but at the same time down to earth Aussie style forum, (which I adore). If you think I’m going to see my family, (Yeh that’s you now) go through hell to achieve something that can be achieved whilst being in heaven, then you’ve got a huge surprise and shock coming your way. I can’t stand the approach bodybuilders take in starving themselves, depriving themselves and possibly harming themselves in wanting to achieve that razor sharp look for a bodybuilding contest.

I’m not against bodybuilding contest and the warriors who participate in them. These chosen few are some of the toughest human beings that any society has ever had the pleasure of calling her own. I salute you guys, because you most certainly deserve nothing less than that. It’s a gigantic task to build muscles; but to reveal what you have built in such a manner as to make even the staunchest critics of bodybuilding bow their head in full respect of your dedication, discipline, perseverance and humility; is nothing short of wonder.

Have you heard of the Mediterranean diet? It’s by far the #1 way of eating in the world. I’m talking about the true Mediterranean diet and not some half assed measure where some Mediterranean people substitute real food for some dried up cereal as a mainstay for breakfast for example. Ok, so the diet is a health bomb, so what? What makes it so unique amongst other healthy diets from around the world? Its uniqueness and strength is in its sustainability over the long hole. You can stick with it and love it year in and year out. Nothing is forbidden and all is in moderation. What more can one asks for.

Vegetables, fruits, legumes, grains, fish, olive oil, and small amounts of meat and dairy. Lots of variety, more satisfying, and I should not forget to include one very important aspect of the diet: the social aspect. The family gathering around the table, talking, sharing, and laughing whilst enjoying their meals.

Now how much of the above can each and every member of this forum include in their daily life? The more variety you include in your daily food, the better you’ll be for it. The more time you allocate to enjoying your food, (preferably with a loved one), the better it will be for the both of you. This last point is so paramount in my opinion that I’d much rather have poison with someone I love whilst enjoying the moment, then have caviar that is accompanied by discord and hurriedness, (which breeds stressful situations, which in turn breeds disease!).

To the mighty warriors of our sport, (and you know who you are), I say why not diet for a contest using the highlights of this mighty diet: variety, variety, variety, proper atmosphere, and a feeling of satisfaction rather than deprivation. Now if I didn’t believe it can be done; I would not have wasted my time or yours in sharing these few words with you.

So ponder over my words and tell me what you think. I don’t mind if you say that it’s somehow an impossibility; a dream that can not be achieved etc. I don’t mind if you disagree with all the points I shared with you here to be frank with you. But what I do mind and would strongly object to is when you disagree and give no reason for it. I’m not after a reason that would convince me of your disagreement with me or one that would somehow substantiate what you’re saying. No. I’m after a reason that would actually convince you of what you’ll be sharing with me. Anything remotely short of that, and you would be doing yourself the greatest disservice of all. That’s called cheating one’s self. I believe you deserve better than that, when only the best will do.

Cheers
Fadi.

i used to eat mediterranian diet, my family is from that area of the world too... how come i was fat??

i grew up mainly having Sri lankan diet and australian diet.. not good.

One meal i'd be eating white rice with butter chicken, pork chops and potatoes..and a coke
the next meal i'd be eating meat pie, sausage roll with lots of ketchup and a beer.
and so on...

That's how i became fat over the years.

woot...
white rice with butter chicken!!
i love indian food.. garlic naan + tandori chicken :D
yummy :D

I can tell you what I grew up on Bree and it wasn't cornflakes. However, I don't want to be misunderstood here and come across that it's my way or the highway type of a person because I myself hate such a mentality. In addition, I try to do the best I can possibly do when it comes to choosing food for my 5 ladies at home. Does that mean we don't have coco pops or rice bubbles or "just right" etc at home? Of course we do, but we try to minimise on what is not so good, in favour of what is better. That's my approcah.

Here's a traditional breakfast that many Lebanese people would have, it's called Fatteh. Here are its ingredients:

Fatteh is a Lebanese and Syrian dish that is made of layers of toasted or baked pieces of pita bread and chickpeas which are covered with a thick layer of seasoned yogurt.
Ingredients:

2 cups of chickpeas
2 pieces of pita bread (cut into small bite-sized pieces)
1/4 cup of pine nuts
A handful of pomegranate seeds (to garnish)
Parsley (to garnish)

Ingredients for the Yogurt:

2 cups plain yogurt
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and Pepper to taste
Juice of half a lemon
Tahini: sesame paste (optional)
A pinch of cumin (and chilli if desired)
Ghee for sautéing the pine nuts
fattet+hummus.jpg

The other alternative to this is the following: eggs, whole organic milk and /or Labneh, Strained yoghurt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaa type of strained yogurt drizzled with olive oil, olives, bread, salad (sometimes tabouli), and za'atar:
Za'atar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . At times tuna in olive oil was added to the mix.

That's about it Bree, and I thank you for your question.

Fadi.

It makes you wonder where this whole cereal trend came from. It only seems to be in the Western developed world that you see this trend.

Just out of interest, what do you think of oats for breakfast?

And you have me all paranoid about soy again, so I am going to slowly remove it from my diet. If it is playing with my hormones, think it is best to wean myself off it rather than make a sudden switch, as have had hormone issues in the past.

things like corn flakes is pretty much dust glued together. Things like fruit loops & cocoa pops is down right morning junk food

Oats for breakfast is a bloody good idea.

It makes you wonder where this whole cereal trend came from.
Breakfast cereals have their beginnings in the vegetarian movement in the last quarter of the nineteenth century, which influenced members of the seventh-day advantist church
in the United States. And after that you could say Capitalism took it from there

Oats are magic Bree. I've had Oatmass for the first time in my life this year and it's great for you as well as yummy.

Bree, if I didn't care I would and I believe I could convince you to stick with soy milk; but I believe I have a duty as a fellow human being to warn people I care about to desist from consuming such a drink. Look at the breakfast I mentioned above, it has chick peas for God's sake, so it's not the legume in general that I'm against as legumes are the "poor man's meat", but soy in particular for the havoc that it has caused and is still causing. I'll give you a link to the full article I touched upon before; please take the time to read, digest, and absorb carefully. There's only one Bree, and you've got to look after #1.

Thank you for reading Tiger:
http://nourishedmagazine.com.au/blog/articles/soy-the-abominable-bean

Fadi.

Last edited:
It makes you wonder where this whole cereal trend came from. It only seems to be in the Western developed world that you see this trend.
This is where the chef's knowledge finally comes in handy :)

It's an old Western tradition, but in modern day it happens thanks to a religious group who just wanted to make sure we didn't eat so much meat.

Roman legionaries used to have a porridge of wheat grain a couple of times a day. When they were supplied with bags of dried grain, they could grind it up for flour and bake it into bread, but mixing it with hot water and milk was the quickest way to get it from the bag into their bellies.

Later bread became much more common for breakfast.

In the 19th century, meat came in for breakfast. Meat was long a sign of wealth, and just as the front lawn of the middle-class derived from the manor garden of the upper class, so too did the bacon and eggs and sausages of the middle-class breakfast derive from the upper class partridge or pork.

However, the poor continued eating porridge - any grain soaked in hot water and/or milk. It was just cheaper and quicker than bread.

Then John Kellogg of the Seventh Day Adventist Church came along. They're a religious group who strongly recommend vegetarianism, and he wanted to encourage people to have something other than bacon etc for breakfast. Kellogg ran a sanitarium, called the Battle Creek Sanitarium, a health institute based on Seventh Day Adventist principles. He developed wheat biscuits and corn flakes, and with some savvy marketing it caught on.

Kellogg's Sanitarium remains a successful company to this day. Warburton, the town I grew up in had a Sanitarium weet-bix factory until the town fizzled out into nothing like so many other country towns.

Dry breakfast cereals flakes

These meals are produced by extrusion. You know what is it? Extrusion is a continuous process, consisting in pressing the material, having high viscosity in liquid state, through a forming tool (extrusion head, die), in order to obtain products with a cross-section of the desired shape. How it looks: grains are filled with liquid solution and then placed in a special machine-extruder.

The process is terrible as it breaks the most (almost all) of nutrients in grains, as extrusion destroys fatty acids, and even (!) synthetic vitamins added to the composition of these grains. Lysine is destroyed - one of the most important and essential amino acids. Even if you buy dry breakfast in the department of dietary products - you buy a poison! It is cheap in manufacture. This is very profitable. This is a multibillion business - and you, if you eat these products - only a member of this great sect. And your pennies add up to a solid income producers and sellers. You do not just spend money - you spend your health!

What to eat instead of cornflakes?

Old-fashioned oatmeal. It enters acidic environment of stomach and necessary proteins and enzymes come to your stomach and acidic environment , it is what you need. Eat oatmeal warm, with real kefir or yogurt. Be sure to add butter or cream. This combination of products contributes to assimilation of all the most useful and necessary substances, the body is saturated with vitamins A and D.

Attention! Dry breakfast cereals, milk and orange juice dangers! | Women’s Health Blog

Fadi.

hi fadi,
when u meant OLD fashion oat meal...
do u mean rolled oats?
or i can still use quick/instants oats?
thx

Lucku,

You can still use your instant oatmeal but you need to be aware that the GI in comparison to the "traditional oat" is slightly higher because it has been processed to cook more quickly, it is also broken down and digested more quickly by your body, hence giving it that higher glycemic index.

Now is that such a bad thing? Not in my opinion if you follow the three ponts I've listed below.

1. Being aware of the GI shift
2. Know how to manipulate it to suite your needs.
3. Knowing it will rise by adding other ingredients such as milk etc to it.

I'll give you an example of my favourite and only Oat that I drink, that's called Oatmass. It's as fine as any protein powder on the market and has a very smooth nutty cinammon type of taste to it. It actually improves the taste of whatever you mix with it. That was a description on taste.

Now for a description on effect: Oats usually has a GI index of about 55 which is considered medium on a scale of 0-100. When the oats gets processed into Oatmass by finely grinding it, its GI index raises to about 75 which is considered medium high. I included it in a ratio of 4:1 of carb to protein to give that insulin spike which is cruicial in keeping cortisol at bay whilst allowing a free reign to testosterone before/during training; and to shift the metabolic system from a catabolic to an anabolic state whilst replenishing muscle glycogen after training.

If you take a look at my 2200/2800 calorie diets, you'll find that I've included Oatmass in the energy & anbolic drinks as one of several other opions.

Take your pick Lucku and keep on enjoying the mighty Oat!

Fadi.

Last edited: