• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Glutamine is King!

Fadi

So if glutamine is king, who are bodybuilders in relation to it? We are the king’s makers. Yes, you’ve read that right. Bodybuilders oh bodybuilders! If only you knew how lucky you are to have chosen this amazing sport as part of your recreational activity. Of course, some of us take it much more seriously than others. Nevertheless, we are all one family welded together by that mighty steel.

Will glutamine build gigantic muscles on my frame; will it shred my body and turn it into a road of vascularity; or will it give me that pump that only creatine can deliver so well?

None of the above! So hey Fadi, how can you then call it king? Easy! Let’s see you train when you’re sick. Oh sorry, I forgot, you don’t get sick that often. Your immune system takes care of that. Your what?

Enter the King. That’s where this baby shines. Everybody wants to ascribe to it what belongs to other supplements, and then gets disappointed when it doesn’t deliver.

Biochemists have established that all cell replication in the immune system, and therefore all immune strength, is dependent on the availability of the amino acid GLUTAMINE. Your immune system uses a ton of it.

However immune cells cannot manufacture glutamine. ONLY muscle cells can do the job and do it so damn well! So your muscles have to supply large amounts of glutamine to your immune system every day in order to maintain it. Muscles are the vital link which maintains your immunity, and hence your resistance to ALL disease. When was the last time you’ve checked the percentage value of glutamine in your WPC / WPI?

Muscle is the health engine! Bodybuilders are the V8s and theV12s of world societies. Looking for a 4cylinder engine? You won’t find it here brother, please look else where!

Now re-read and rejoice everyone!

To your healthy and powerful immune system, a big cheer!

Glutamine 4 life

Fadi.

Last time I was taking Glutamine (%gms x 3 daily) I got a virus which kept me bed ridden for 3 days and off work for 5 days. maybe It would have been worse without it, I don't know.

wow very interesting thread mate.

Do you actually notice any positive feelings from it throughout the day or when training? I have taken glutamine in the past for a fair while and it was one of those things I just stopped using regularly because I didn't think it did much.

People usually stop taking Glutamine because they don't get that "kick". Had they taken it for the purpose it was designed for, they would not be disappointed. Unfortunately supplements get lots of hype and when the wrong attributes are attributed to a particular supplement, naturally people look for that particular attribute. In the case of glutamine, no studies I've read ever suggested that this dynamite will build muscles or give one an amazing pump or anything of the sort.

To expect a kick from glutamine would be no different than expecting a kick from fruit and vegetables. They work in the background in keeping our immune system fighting fit.

Glutamine is your computer anti-virus that is working in the background keeping all safe from intruders. The last thing you’d want from a computer anti-virus is to disrupt your normal computer operations. Subtlety is key here.

Fadi.

hmm, so have you at least noticed an improvement in your immune system? Do you get sick less than when you didnt it??

Whenever I'm doing a strenuous routine I always supplement with Glutamine to support my immune system. You're exactly right that people expect the wrong things from it and that's why many label is useless. It is also quite cheap when bought in bulk from the right places.

In your experience what do you think is the best dosage for glutamine Fadi?

hmm, so have you at least noticed an improvement in your immune system? Do you get sick less than when you didnt it??

Yes, I do notice more immune power in resisting whatever nastiest are floating around. Also please note, glutamine is one link in a balanced chain of events. Whenever my diet is high in raw cholesterol and fat (from organic eggs), I feel on top of the world.

Again, you have to know how to train and what to take before and after to help kerb the catabolic hormone Cortisol whilst boosting the most powerful anabolic hormones of all: insulin and testosterone.

Fadi.

In your experience what do you think is the best dosage for glutamine Fadi?

1-2g after training Mark. And another gram later on in the day. Don't forget now please, WPI/WPC etc is full of this powerful stuff. WPC is amazing for the immune system. I'll put up an article for you Mark and others here re the difference between WPI and WPC and how each has a different albeit important role to play in immune system support as well as in building muscles.

Thank you for your question Mark.

Fadi.

too bad its so expensive.. :( i love the stuff.

Ceffo, how much are you taking mate? I'm recommending 1-2g after training. If not possible, then have 15g of WPI. How expensive is that?

Fadi.

i used to take it throughout the day 3 times daily. 5g each time. As insurance for my muscles in times of stress/sickness esp now im 32 ..lol.

I think theres less than 0.5g in my WPI per 40g servings.

Ive read articles in the past to use around 5g per time. morning/even/pre- workout.

Do u think its too much and wasting it fadi? Im open to hear personal opinions.

Ceffo, this is not about personal opinion; this is about what two giants in the sport that not many bodybuilders have heard of do recommend.

Dr. John Ivy, PhD, is a professor and head of the department of Kinesiology and Health Education at the University of Texas. The man is a world-renowned expert on the role of nutrition and exercise performance.

Also Dr. Robert Portman, who has a PhD in biochemistry.

I rely heavily on these two gentlemen (amongst few others who have earned my respect) in matters of sport’s nutrition.

I think theres less than 0.5g in my WPI per 40g servings.

Ceffo, last time I checked the numbers I found around 6g + of Glutamine in WPI/WPC/40g serve.

As you'll read my posts you'll come to know that I'm always aiming for the numbers that do the job, before contemplating any increase in whatever I'm taking or recommending others take. A good example here would be the mineral zinc. Zinc is a mighty powerhouse for your immune system, testosterone production etc. But take too much and it will burn you by causing the exact opposite effect it was meant to fix/take care of.

Fadi.

Last edited:
But take too much and it will burn you by causing the exact opposite effect it was meant to fix/take care of.

Fadi.

Would this be also the case for glutamine? I havent read any negative effects on over consumption.

Ill check in the moring how much is in my WPI

Ceffo, you don't need a study to tell you that anything in excess is harmful; even medicine itself!

Water, yes water can be deadly if taken to extreme. Nothing is balanced like balance itself Ceffo; always keep that in mind my friend.

Fadi.

I am also a huge fan of Glutamine.

All reports i have read on it say to take over 15g daily.

I know people that use heaps of it a day!

I use 15g daily added by myself not including whats already in my protein and my BCAA formula which has added L-Glutamine

Last edited:
I was wondering who else takes l-glutamine. I've heard people take it a pre workout supp and some as a post supp. What are peoples thoughts?

I bought a tub of glutamine yesterday (well it came with my tub of protein) im just going to chuck it in my shaker along with my post workout drink. I dont usually get sick or unwell very easily, maybe once every 2 years ill get struck with something so its more of a post workout recovery assistance thing for me then an immunity booster.