• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What would you order in a restaurant?

katie

as a follow up to this thread - http://ausbb.com/nutrition-diet/8909-what-would-you-do.html (which is for what you would do when you're in a food court) - what would you order in a restaurant/pub?

Today I went to an unavoidable work lunch in the local pub today. The healthiest options appeared to be
- rare beef salad (but I'm iffy about rare beef)
- grilled chicken burger (though it came with chips, hardly any veges)
- steak also came with chips, few veges.
- chicken caesar salad

So yeah, what would you order (or would you just treat it as a free meal and eat with gusto)?

Sometimes I've run out of my allocated free meals for the week so I have to order something relatively high in protein and with lots of veges. Today I chose chicken caesar salad - is this a good meal choice?

What do you tend to do when you eat out?

as a follow up to this thread - http://ausbb.com/nutrition-diet/8909-what-would-you-do.html (which is for what you would do when you're in a food court) - what would you order in a restaurant/pub?

Today I went to an unavoidable work lunch in the local pub today. The healthiest options appeared to be
- rare beef salad (but I'm iffy about rare beef)
- grilled chicken burger (though it came with chips, hardly any veges)
- steak also came with chips, few veges.
- chicken caesar salad

So yeah, what would you order (or would you just treat it as a free meal and eat with gusto)?

Sometimes I've run out of my allocated free meals for the week so I have to order something relatively high in protein and with lots of veges. Today I chose chicken caesar salad - is this a good meal choice?

What do you tend to do when you eat out?

i tend to eat out everyday as I need to.
I either go to a buffet place or Subway. in Subway it's Roasted chicken on brown bread. In the buffet place it's the leanest possible meat and veggies.

If i'm to go to an italian restaurant or something for example, I stick the the lean stuff like grilled chicken with caesar salad. If it's on a Friday night or a weekend, a cheat meal is ok as long as it's still under 500 kcals..

I'll generally eat what I want and punish myself at the gym for it later. Steak, chips and veges is my general order. This is a fairly healthy meal (bar the saturated fats), if you want to cut back on the carbs just let someone else eat the chips. The problems is if I'm eating steak I'm also generally drinking beers.

If I'm bulking it doesn't really bother me at all. Although I do generally have quite a clean bulk.

Tense your abs while you're at the table to burn some extra calories :p

Lol @ the tensing the abs.

If I order chips I will generally eat them all :) that's why I try not to order them! Yeah I know sharing is caring, but I loooove deep fried chips...

Anyone every try asking the restaurant to modify their food? eg. Caesar salad often has a LOT of the creamy dressing, I've often wondered if I should ask them to halve it. I guess I don't want to offend the chef!! It's not like I have a genuine need like a gluten free diet or vegetarianism.

anyone ever had soulfood for lunch... i had it one time when i used to be fat.

entree:
3 fried pancakes with maple syrup...

maincourse:
wedges with sour cream
fried Chicken wings and peas with gravy
pork chops
cornbread

desert:
watermelon...

I've often wondered if I should ask them to halve it. I guess I don't want to offend the chef!! It's not like I have a genuine need like a gluten free diet or vegetarianism.
Order what you want. The chef will swear a lot, and then make it for you anyway. Just don't expect it to come as quickly as it would if you ordered something straight off the menu.

If everyone always ordered straight off the menu then the place wouldn't need a chef, any idiot off the street could be taught to cook one menu's worth of food. A chef is needed for those special orders, or for when something runs out and a new dish must be come up with on the spot, etc.

Always order exactly what you want. If they won't give it to you, say, "I'll just have the water", trust me, that annoys the manager no end. Then the manager will speak to the chef, and the next person who sends in a fussy order will get exactly what they wanted. :p

I had an awesome lambshank at a pub the other day, and for healthy bones I washed it down with a cold pint of lager :p

Thankfully I live in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney. Chefs here are used to hearing 'can I have a salad instead of chips', 'dressing on the side', 'no bread' and 'decaf soy latte- only bonsoy thanks'.

I had for lunch today a full rack of pork ribs with potatoe and garlic bread..
Fvck it was so nice.. Why?? Coz I felt like it

I'm like you, I love chips :p So i just ask for no chips & extra veggies or salad instead...otherwise I will end up eating them if they're there!

When I went to the club for lunch with mum the other day I got a steak, held the chips and asked for some extra streamed veg. Good feed! Even though I had to watch mum eat her yum looking veal parmigana...:'(

Solitaire,

Never deprive yourself of any food you like. It's all about being in control. I know it's easier said than done, but as in the high-beam and the uneven bars, perfect practice makes perfect.

I've come back to add this: especially if you make burpees part of your sporting life. You don't have to do 100 everyday (which some believe to be equivalent to a 1.5km run), but 40 would be a good number to keep your metabolism revving.

Fadi.

Last edited:
I love buffets - you can always get a good salad, decent meat and some good grains.

Subway is good. At a pub, I'll go for any meat based dish.

I tend to steer clear of desserts and deep fried foods.

If I go out for lunch, stressing about what to eat just defeats the purpose for me.I`ll usually choose one of the healthier, lower fat dishes but that won`t decide my final choice.In the end I will eat what I want and do as others have said,punish myself for it later.Sometimes I may go for a walk/jog/cycle to burn it off and other times I won`t.
Eating is one of the biggest pleasures in my life so I enjoy it.
Edit to add, choice of restaurant is always important (if you have any say in it that is).

I love buffets - you can always get a good salad, decent meat and some good grains.

I have been roped into going to an all you can eat buffet this Friday night! Hmm, this will be an interesting one.

I belong to a family who dearly loves to "get their moneys worth" at all-you-can-eats. That is, they don't eat anything for about 8 hrs so that they can stuff themselves more at the buffet. (None of my family are overweight by the way... but they do love eating...)

I'm guessing Friday night is going to be one heck of a free meal for me!

When I enter in a restaurant I always look first on the menu they do and serve. But on my favorite, I go for an Italian restaurant that will make my satisfaction guaranteed. I always look and crave for Italian foods as they are my favorite food.

Last edited:
If your a reasonably healthy person then there should be no reason why you can't eat what your comfortable with. I prefer meat based dishes because well..i like meat. But that doesn't mean you cant enjoy your meal, just know when to stop, or swap the chips.

Order what you want. The chef will swear a lot, and then make it for you anyway. Just don't expect it to come as quickly as it would if you ordered something straight off the menu.

If everyone always ordered straight off the menu then the place wouldn't need a chef, any idiot off the street could be taught to cook one menu's worth of food. A chef is needed for those special orders, or for when something runs out and a new dish must be come up with on the spot, etc.

Always order exactly what you want. If they won't give it to you, say, "I'll just have the water", trust me, that annoys the manager no end. Then the manager will speak to the chef, and the next person who sends in a fussy order will get exactly what they wanted. :p

Not always i went to hooters and they had steak and ceaser or chicken and ceaser i said send me both they said they cant thereis no button for that...