• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

callouses

upg

have had these ever since i started training, but never this bad/annoying.

lately the callouses have been blister like, by popping/tearing off and exposing raw skin underneath (no blood). it is painful to touch and i seem to get them when i do heavier stuff i.e. deadlifts

255oqat.jpg

will gloves/chalk help?
what about moisturising?

im sure some of you will suffer the same problem

cheers

Being a gymnast for 16 years...rips or torn calouses/ blisters were a part of life. I can tell you that chalk DOES NOT stop it from happening.

(Haha...it appears that having less than 15 posts i'm not privilaged enough to post a pic of a nice big chalky tear...oh well...)

Anyway, it helps you grip a bar better, but sometimes even makes it easier to tear skin. Gloves are probably your best bet.

If you do have lots of lumpy calouses, file them down with a nail file or pumice stone. This stops them from 'catching' on the bar and tearing.
If the skin does tear, make sure to cut off ALL the dead skin, wash it & but the detol on it. That's just common sense. But After that, make sure you apply moisturiser. That will stop it drying up & splitting, or tearing further next time you lift.

But...if you just file them off while their nice & hard...less chance off catching in the 1st place :)

^^ Solitaire speaks the truth :)

Ahh, the memories of getting "rips" from the bar in gymnastics and forcing the hand under a running tap to wash all the chalk and blood off. Ouch indeed!!

Nowadays I just live with my calluses (they don't rip anymore as they're too hard!) I guess I'll never be a hand model!

^^ Solitaire speaks the truth :)

Ahh, the memories of getting "rips" from the bar in gymnastics and forcing the hand under a running tap to wash all the chalk and blood off. Ouch indeed!!

Nowadays I just live with my calluses (they don't rip anymore as they're too hard!) I guess I'll never be a hand model!

hehehe, my brother, also a gymnast, constantly insists he always wanted to be a hand model, but his gym/tradie careers have now prevented that dream :p:rolleyes:

:eek: Man, get some gloves! There are so many to choose from & leave the pain for your muscles to have, not your hands.

Gloves help, chalk can help. But like some will testify after a while they will just get hard and you won't even notice them:)

All my callouse's are hard earned and worn with pride. Never worn gloves and never will.
AZZA

All my callouse's are hard earned and worn with pride. Never worn gloves and never will.
AZZA

i used to wear gloves coz everyone else in the gym did. no more though, chalk only or nothing. i like the idea of filing them back though so theres nothing to catch on, i might try this although i tend to bite mine off when they get too big anyway lol

used some gloves
has made it more slippery if anything, but provides a layer between my raw flesh and the dumbell/barbell. not too keen on getting an infection and no bandaid will stay on there.

will continue going gloveless once it heals up

:eek: Man, get some gloves! There are so many to choose from & leave the pain for your muscles to have, not your hands.

Go for gloves and if anyone gives you stick tell them to kiss your arse.
I studied various massage therapies for many years and planned to make it into a career so always tried to keep my hands in good nick.Even though I am not qualified to do it here I plan to requalify one day.Soft hands are a must.

You lot are hardcore with those calluses and ripped-up hands. I just have them on the top of my palm under the little, ring and middle fingers. It's mostly chinups that have done it, probably since that's when I'm hauling the most weight!

So it hasn't been a problem for me so far. Sometimes my woman comments on my hands being a little rough, but she also comments on liking my having more muscles and less fat than before, I tell her I can have soft hands and soft belly, or hard hands and hard belly, her choice :D

As i said i dont wear gloves, i do wear wrist wraps and have a very good belt. Been lifting now for just on 20 years, worse i've had is picnching between plates, caused a blood blister. Training partners fault. Maybe use some sponge or foam squares for now.
AZZA

I say build em up get em hard then you will learn to love them, gloves are for girls and office types :) just kidding...gyms or health clubs as they call them these days wont let u use chalk so its gloves or calluses...

Same here :/

Boys, nothing nice about a man that eats his own skin.

I've been finding that gloves are part of my problem when it comes to gripping, so am intentionally building up some nice callouses.

Find chalk helps grip, but much more likely to make skin pinch and tear off.