• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Protein Direct - Opinions on products

S

Solitaire

Hi,
Just discovered proteindirect.com.au and just wanted to ask peoples opinions on the quality of their protein (Both WPC & WPI).

For anyone who's tried it. How do their products go on taste, mixability/texture?
I've checked out the nutrition info so I know about that, but it's too bad you can't do an online taste test!
I just don't wanna buy a whole bunch and realise i can't drink it! (Im a fussy girl it seems :p)

Looking at getting a flavoured & unflavoured protein so thoughts on both would be very helpful!!!!

Also, as far as concentrates & isolates go...what are your opinions? I've read so many articles/comparisons on which is best/superior that i'm now lost :S I don't know which is better for what!

Thanks heaps to anyone who can help!!

Hi Solitaire

The guy who owns Protein Direct hangs around a lot on the sizematters forum. I PM'd him asking for some samples, so maybe you could try that too.

Except my samples haven't seem to arrived... maybe someone nicked them from my letterbox... but don't let that stop you from PM'ing him!

Re: the neverending WPC vs WPI debate.

How long have you been weight training? Would you consider yourself a novice/intermediate/advanced when it comes to training? What's your diet like? And what are your goals?

Ultiamtely the answer to the WPC vs WPI question depends on your responses to the above questions.

Thanks Katie, I'll look into that :)

In reply to those questions.....

- Um, I've been training with weights in a gym for 8 years now, but before that I was a competitive gymnast so I did bodyweight strength & conditioning every day (so if you include that, then...say 16 years?!).

- I'd probably say im intermediate for training? not sure?! I'll post my workout in the training diary section.

- As far as diet...an average day (well, yesterday...)

Meal 1: oats w/ calcium caseinate & honey

Meal 2: 1 apple + raw almonds

Meal 3: Stirfried vegies (zucchini, capsicum, mushroom, onion, celery)
95g tin tuna, drained

Meal 4: Protein shake

Meal 5: Grilled chicken, baked sweet potato, steamed veg (cauli, broccoli, carrot)

Meal 6: Strawberries with 100g yoghurt (add protein powder to yogurt)

Thats not exactly the same every day, as my life is a bit all over the place...I live in 3 places in the course of a week and do a lot of travel!

- As far as goals go...I have quite a bit of muscle (though more in certain areas wouldn't go astray), but I need to lose fat. I've been injured and was out of training for a while a month or so ago. My diet also started to suck a bit.
I don't have any specific goals (like...run x km in x time or lift x...). Just want to look toned so my muscle isn't hiding!

The only reason i looked at the WPI over WPC is that i've heard a bit about getting an upset stomach/ gassy on the latter. Whether that is true or rumour i don't know. I've been using a blend so far, but havent really been big on the shakes since i started needing convenience.

Hi Solitaire!

It's good to have another girl on the forums :)

Hey, your history is fascinating, I did comp gymnastics in high school, and lately I've been thinking about taking up adult gymnastics and getting back into it as I do miss the training. But I digress. Back on topic...

Well, you seem like you know what you're doing! Except meal 2 could probably have a bit more protein eg. can of tuna or cottage cheese?

Seeing your goal is to lose fat, rather than gain muscle, I'd personally do some HIIT for fat loss, plus a clean diet, rather than chowing down more protein. I'm just not sure what the extra protein will do if you're trying to lose fat rather than gain muscle. but I'm sure others on this forum will be able to enlighten me if i'm wrong...

BTW you are right about the WPC gas issue vs WPI and no gas. Some people have said that too. If you do get some protein powder try WPI, hopefully you'll feel heaps better.

i find protein directs chocolate flavour to be not very tasty, but hey the price is right and im not sitting there sipping it so im happy to skull it down

it is perfectly fine. put the effort in and flavour your own shakes.

I am about to have a 250mls honey/cinnamon yoghurt/250mls oat milk 2 scoops unflavoured whey shake right now.

I have had the chocholate WPC before, just finished it.
The milder cocoa chocholate taste is great as it isn't too sweet like some other premixed proteins.
Never had any gas or bloating problems from the WPC.
Just placed a new order (before reading this thread).
Got a 20kg sack of WPC and 2.5kg unflavoured WPI and 6 bags of chocholate flavouring for about $390, great value.
Will be going halves with a guy from work.

And I believe sizematters members still get a 5% discount.

And yes, you still get a 5% discount if you are a member of sizematters, it all adds up.

Delivery fee is good too, only $7 for my order of 25kg of mixed product.

Just put an order yesterday for 2.5kg choc WPI for a try.

The Max's stuff definitely worked (mind you, 1st time protein powder user so any decent protein would make a diff...) so eager to see how this stuff compares.

just put in an order for 2.5kg unflavoured WPI. hopefully will taste ok with banana and peanut butter for my morning shake, dont really care what it tastes like in my pre and post workout shakes as long as it mixes half decent

it mixes just fine, and the taste is actually growing on me instead of getting sick of it like i normally would, i thinnk its just not as sweet as most powders

just put in an order for 2.5kg unflavoured WPI. hopefully will taste ok with banana and peanut butter for my morning shake, dont really care what it tastes like in my pre and post workout shakes as long as it mixes half decent

David, I don't know where you get your unflavoured protein from, but it's always a good idea to insure that it's from down under or from our neighbours across the Tasman. May I suggest you mixing it with apple juice (if you like apple juice that is) if that was going to be your first protein shake of the day. After fasting, is the best time to take advantage of fructose, which will do an amazing job in replenishing liver glycogen after a night fast.

I don't know if you or anyone else here is aware; fructose is a sugar with a double edge sword like my favourite hormone of all, the mighty insulin. Fructose can NOT be converted into muscle glycogen; hence you will not find me recommending fruit after a workout when muscle glycogen replenishment is paramount. That’s why I asked Shammo to insure his after workouts banana are rip; indicating a high ratio of glucose to fructose and therefore an insulin spike. However first thing in the morning, a fruit juice full of fructose will be heaven for your liver's glycogen replenishment. That doesn't mean you can't have other carbs with it at that time, but it's always a good practice to have it at that time.

I hope I haven’t confused the issue here for you guys. If I have, then please disregard what I’ve written.

Fadi.

David, I don't know where you get your unflavoured protein from, but it's always a good idea to insure that it's from down under or from our neighbours across the Tasman. May I suggest you mixing it with apple juice (if you like apple juice that is) if that was going to be your first protein shake of the day. After fasting, is the best time to take advantage of fructose, which will do an amazing job in replenishing liver glycogen after a night fast.

I don't know if you or anyone else here is aware; fructose is a sugar with a double edge sword like my favourite hormone of all, the mighty insulin. Fructose can NOT be converted into muscle glycogen; hence you will not find me recommending fruit after a workout when muscle glycogen replenishment is paramount. That’s why I asked Shammo to insure his after workouts banana are rip; indicating a high ratio of glucose to fructose and therefore an insulin spike. However first thing in the morning, a fruit juice full of fructose will be heaven for your liver's glycogen replenishment. That doesn't mean you can't have other carbs with it at that time, but it's always a good practice to have it at that time.

I hope I haven’t confused the issue here for you guys. If I have, then please disregard what I’ve written.

Fadi.

David, like the thread name suggest, has quite litterally ordered this batch of WPI from Protein Direct.
PROTEINDIRECT - WORLD CLASS PROTEINS
which is from our neighbors.
I do always make sure that my bananas are ripe, mainly becuase they taste better, i was however unaware of the conversion from fructose to glucose as they rippen.
Im not going to disregard what you have written but admit to being slighty confused:confused:
Why is that fructose can not be converted to muscle glycogen??

Im not going to disregard what you have written but admit to being slighty confused:confused:
Why is that fructose can not be converted to muscle glycogen??

Shammo,

I respect you not disregarding what I’ve written and for that you most certainly deserve an explanation from me.

Fructose can do three things in the body.

1. It can be converted to fat in the liver.
2. It fills liver glycogen stores so that even good complex carbs are more prone to spill over into fat.
3. It can not be used by the muscles to recover glycogen. Why? Because muscles do not have the enzymatic machinery needed to convert fructose into glycogen.

What the above basically means is that fructose represents a dietary carbohydrate load that is targeted for the liver. Does that mean fruit with all its vitamins, minerals, and fibre is bad now? No, but if you’re demanding only the best of the best, then I would have to be honest with you that unless you know which fruit to eat (based on its fructose to glucose ratio and when to eat it) then I would be doing you a disservice.

Hence my recommendation of taking advantage of fruit or its juice first thing in the morning when liver glycogen stores are at their lowest as well as about 1 hour before training if you find yourself hungry and you haven’t eaten a high carb meal for sometime. At this moment, by eating a piece of fruit, you’ll not only top up your liver’s glycogen, but you’ll save your muscle glycogen from being catabolised for energy. Please note Shammo, I’m not suggesting a pre workout piece of fruit here; we’re talking 1 hour before, 1 piece of fruit.

I’m sorry re something I’ve said before in regard to fructose converting to glucose as bananas ripen. What I meant to say was that starches are converted into sugars as bananas ripen. And these sugars as far as bananas are concerned are 50/50 glucose to fructose.

Well Shammo, I hope I have somewhat decreased your confusion and I thank you for reading.

Reference:
  • Shafrir E. Fructose/sucrose metabolism, its physiological and pathological implications. Sugars and Sweeteners, Kretchmer N and Hollenbeck CB, Eds. CRC Press, 1991, pp. 63-98.
Fadi.

thanks Fadi, yes the protein is from new zealand. my morning shake is the only one that contains fruit, i have 1 banana in it and a usually eat some more fruit in the morning. my pre and post workout shakes are purely protein and carbs.

thanks Fadi, yes the protein is from new zealand. my morning shake is the only one that contains fruit, i have 1 banana in it and a usually eat some more fruit in the morning. my pre and post workout shakes are purely protein and carbs.

You're magic David.

Fadi.