• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training Program

N

nubyweed

Guys,

My first post so sorry if any of the questions are stupid but im pretty new to weightlifting and dont really have anyone to compare against im not looking for any ego boost just the truth good or bad. :)

Ok im 30 yrs old, 77 kg and bench press 64kg not including the bar, i would like to know is that good / bad? av?

Secondly, i would like to know is it better to train 1 night on then 1 night off, or two nights on and one off?

Thirdly, is there any benefit doing pushups as well as bench presses? like can i overtrain if i do that on the same day?

Any feedback would be appreciated, sorry if my questions sound stupid. ???

Nubyweed,
"There is no such thing as stupid questions... only stupid people" (Mr Garison - Southpark). :p ;D :D

Your questions are valid, have a look at the routines in the forum for guidance.

Most people train for 3 or 4 days then 1 or 2 day rest. It depends on what you are trying to acheive and the machines and or weights you have access too.

I am trying to lose weight (fat) as well as build muscle. Need to get the cholesterol down.

I try and do the treadmill early in the morning then pump iron at night. do this 4 or 5 days in a row (if i wake up early enough in the morning) (monday to friday) then on the weekends, if I feel up to it, I will use the punching bag and speedball (still trying to get the hang of it).

Do push-ups, sit ups when ever you can, it can't hurt.

MightyTriby

Nubyweed, welcome to Ausbb

never fear about your questions , we were all new to weightlifting/bodybuilding ,. that's what this forum is here for to ask your questions and get the answers that you need

benchpress and pushups do target similar areas but in some ways they also target different areas (if that make sense ) , pushups you are limited by your bodyweight unless you go for weighted pushups

while pushups do have there place but i think you'd be better off just sticking to the bench press
unless of course you don';t have access to bench press equipment ( like while traveling )

it is a general rule that you have a days rest between workouts , gives the body time to recover , but this varies from person to person

Thats guys for the reply.

Ive started taking a day off in between and feel alot better for it :p

Although no one really answered, could i 'overtrain' by doing both pushups and situps?

And is benching 64 plus the bar ok? like should i be lifting my bodyweight by now?

Thanks guys

Sorry that last post is meant to say could i 'overtrain' by doing both push ups and bench presses? ::)

Overtraining isn't measured by doing different exercises - you could overtrain just by benching, it is relative to your recovery ability. If your bench & / or push up ability starts to decline, or any other lift for that matter, have a look at your program / diet / recovery etc

As for is your bench ok, should it be more - only you can answer this question. Is your training intensity, diet & recovery optimum - if so, then your bench is where it should be and should continue to climb. There is no benchmark for progress except what you put in.