• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Thoughts on Artificial Sweeteners?

aminoz

Site Advertiser
Hey guys, just signed up to the board and thought I'd start a topic :)

I've been supplementing with various protein powders for years now and it wasn't long ago when I considered the fact that all these artificial sweeteners may catch up with me one day if I don't do something about eliminating them from my diet. So, I switched to a naturally flavoured powder fairly recently.

I mean, there is no "solid" evidence to suggest that they will "necessarily" cause complications - but there certainly isn't any research concluding that they are good for you. After all, there is still a very big question mark as to the health implications of artificial sweeteners in the diet.

So, I was just interested in what you guys thought of them? Do you care or do you stay well away?

I stay away. A bit worried about the sucralose in ON and Dymatize's PP, so I'm going to go with Dymatize Natural Whey (ie. not Elite) or proteindirect...

I dont care about them at all!

Funny the other day a fella was talking to me aobut Aspartame and how bad it is....

After the finihsed jibbering he walked out side and had a smoke!

haha

I stay away. A bit worried about the sucralose in ON and Dymatize's PP, so I'm going to go with Dymatize Natural Whey (ie. not Elite) or proteindirect...

I just started with the natural whey a few weeks ago (blogged about it a couple of times). I love it. They use Stevia as a sweetener. It's a leaf derivative and the sugars are apparently bound to cellulose which is why we cannot digest the carbs contained within it (correct me if I'm wrong, but it's something along those lines). Slight bubblegum taste, but really good.

lots of during workouts supps have it... i am not sure what to believe about it...

True. What I've been doing lately is just putting in some BCAA powder into gatorade during my workouts based on some research papers that have shown bcaa's + cho during workout is quite productive for hypertrophy.

They have been proven to cause cancer in lab rats but
as for humans the jury is still out.
Like others,I steer clear of anything unnatural if possible.
When in doubt.......

I avoid them, but dont know for certain that they are bad for you, I just assume they are. All I know is they taste like absolute shit and my head doesnt feel well after I have something with them in it.

They can't be good for you, but I dig sucralose (Splenda, 955 I think) and would probably prefer this to sugar in my coffee. In some cases though people would be better off risking the possible chance that it might maybe one day cause some sort of badness than keep chowing down on sugar and the health risks we know are associated with that.

They can't be good for you, but I dig sucralose (Splenda, 955 I think) and would probably prefer this to sugar in my coffee. In some cases though people would be better off risking the possible chance that it might maybe one day cause some sort of badness than keep chowing down on sugar and the health risks we know are associated with that.

Artificial sweeteners are some of the most studied food additives going around. Unless you are sensitive to them ( some people get headaches from them) so far they are fine.

Excessive consumption of artificial sweetners may cause problems.

Excessive consumption of sugar is the major reason that we are all fat and dying of countless modern diseases. Fructose is bad news when you concentrate it and put it in everything you eat.

Take your pick. ;)

Excessive consumption of artificial sweetners may cause problems.

Excessive consumption of sugar is the major reason that we are all fat and dying of countless modern diseases. Fructose is bad news when you concentrate it and put it in everything you eat.

Take your pick. ;)

Wrong. Excess calories are making us fat.

I don't think it's wrong. Calories are not all equal. Many of those excess calories are consumed because fructose bypasses the natural satiety mechanisms of the body and enables us to consume far more than we otherwise would.

The real problem is that fructose naturally comes with heaps of fibre, we have managed to isolate it and then we throw the fibre away and add the sweet bit to everything.

Anyone interested should read "Sweet Poison." It's an easy read, written by a lawyer from Brisbane who decided to do his own research when he couldn't lose weight.

Does anyone know how much sweetner goes into a 5kg bag of wpc? I have about 4-5 bags a year..

Again it's excess calories that make you fat not specific foods or specific macro nutrients. If you are consuming excess calories you will get fat no matter what the foods you are eating.

Also if you are eating under maintenance calories you will lose weight. Fructose isn't as bad as they make you believe it's just the next fad that fatties jump on looking for a quick fix to lose weight.

Read Maxbrenners posts in the nutrition section here. He posts plenty of studies if thats what your into.

That's right. It's what happens to different types of calories. If you have fructose as part of whole foods, that's OK (so long as you don't OD on fruit etc) but when you start getting into fruit juices and fructose extracted and added to foods, that's a whole different ballgame. You no longer have the fibre, protein and/or fats to help slow down and regulate how the liver has to process it. Plus excess will be stored as fat if your cells don't need it.

Agree, Max B's posts are a good starting point.

That doesn't mean sugar is evil .. but keep intake in check.

That said, I avoid artificial sweeteners mostly because they make me feel sick. I just buy protein powders without spakfillers and add my own flavourings as I want them.

You've got a lot of choice, once you decide what's right for you.