• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[MartialArts] Ufc

tonyharrison

Any fans of this championship?

The only martial arts exp i have is getting to yellow belt green tip in takwondo when i was a fat kid. Haven't had much interest in it at all since then but i have to say i think this UFC is about the most entertaining sport you can watch. So brutal you just have to watch. Seriously impressive athletes.

I caught some on One HD on thurs night after the superboxer. There is so much action, it leaves boxing way behind imo. Apparently its poaching all the WWF crowds in the states, good thing too. Going to the video store to rent some, im hooked.

Yeah UFC can be very exciting. However, I find that it depends on who is fighting as it can otherwise be very boring.

Occasionally UFC change the rules to try and make it more exciting, but it can disadvantage certain fighters.

Long before UFC there was mixed martial arts competition where competitors were either karate, kung fu, wrestlers, BJJ etc

A guy named Garcia who was a BJJ expert won the championships in the most boring submissions that would have a guy locked in a pin till he'd tap out of boredom.

UFC deliberately changed the rules to stop this from happening. Its good sport wise, but maybe not so good for particular martial arts.

Speaking of Rock and Roll wrestling, Shamrock actually also competed in UFC and he was pretty good. The match against the best at the time Tito Ortiz was really good.

Yeah UFC can be very exciting. However, I find that it depends on who is fighting as it can otherwise be very boring.

Occasionally UFC change the rules to try and make it more exciting, but it can disadvantage certain fighters.

Long before UFC there was mixed martial arts competition where competitors were either karate, kung fu, wrestlers, BJJ etc

A guy named Garcia who was a BJJ expert won the championships in the most boring submissions that would have a guy locked in a pin till he'd tap out of boredom.

UFC deliberately changed the rules to stop this from happening. Its good sport wise, but maybe not so good for particular martial arts.

i don't doubt that mma purists might have issue with it, but as pure entertainmet its pretty good stuff. Say what you want about americans (and i do frequently) but they know how put on a spectacle. Some times its too much, but the balance between show n substance seems good with this. What rules did they change?

Last edited:
In last 10 years or so there haven't been any real rule changes. They pretty much adhere to the "Unified Rules" of MMA. So do the other smaller promotions such as Strikeforce and the now defunct Affliction. The most I've seen them do recently is catch weight fights, ie. 195 pound bouts.

Way back in the day when they had tournaments they had one big round and no "stand up" rule so some fights would be 10 minutes of one bloke lying on top of the other. Nowadays the ref. will stand them up if it's getting "too boring".

Definitely one of the toughest sports in the world and a great spectacle.

BTW, UFC 101 this weekend - BJ Penn v Kenny Florian for the lightweight belt and Anderson Silva (middleweight champ) V Forest Griffin (ex light heavyweight champ) fighting at 205 pounds. Also look out for Kendall Grove V Ricardo Almeida (I think that's his name) - classic Muy Thai V Brazilian Jui Jitsu.

fedor might be joining the ufc

fedor vs lesnar would be awesome

Unfortunately didn't happen. UFC made him a good offer (monetary wise especially) but his management company knocked it back because they wanted "co-promotional" rights to any events he compete in. UFC politely told them to piss off.

He's instead done a deal with Strikeforce where he'll fight less quality fighters :confused:....unless Fedor rids himself of his management he'll never be in the UFC :mad:

i love UFC but dont have foxtel so i download matches and watch them on my PC sometimes. ive got no martial arts background or anything, just enjoy watching it. funny coz i have no interest in boxing or wrestling at all.

Did anyone catch UFC 101?

Was Anderson Silva's "backing away jab" knockout incredible or what? No wonder Forrest piss bolted out of the ring in tears!

GREAT ground performance by Geelong's own George Sotiropolous (sp?), owned Roop on the ground with amazing BJJ and transitions. Don't know how his submission didn't win "Sub. of the night".

BJ Penn is the king at lightweight but nowhere else.

UFC is on Channel 10 HD channel ONE, Thursday nights at 10 and a repeat on Sat night. ONE also had Superboxer just recently. I only started watching this year but i love it. The fights i have seen and some have gone the full 3 or 5 rounds have been excellent. They havent shown a Lesnar fight yet.
AZZA

Didn't know they we're showing it on free to air, good stuff. I usually download them off the net the day after the event. When it's a big event I'll order it off main event.

Brock Lesnar has improved tremendously. Gone from oddity to the real thing in 5 fights.

From what I've seen the free to air stuff on one hd is "UFC Wired" and some of the fights are quite old. The first one I saw had Serra V St.Pierre, the one where Serra won.

Can anyone in the know comment on the likelyhood (or not) of GSP and Anderson Silva ever fighting together?

anythings possible

3 ways it could happen
gsp steps up division
anderson goes down division
or they have a catchweight fight

Can anyone in the know comment on the likelyhood (or not) of GSP and Anderson Silva ever fighting together?

I don't think the UFC's in a rush to make this match just yet. In the end it wouldn't be for a title but more a "Pound for Pound" ego match. IF it happens it won't be till next year and then you'd have to see if a) GSP is still Welterweight champ and/or b) Silva's still Middleweight champ. If either aren't on top of their game it'd take the gloss away from the match.

Currently GSP's happy defending his title and Silva's happy stepping up and embarrassing the light-heavyweights.

As for what weight they'd fight at, it'd either be catchweight of 177lbs (between welter and middleweight) or GSP would go up to 185 because he's a big 170 pounder. I can't see Anderson, who's routinely bulking up to 205lbs cutting down to 170. But you never know!

Also, keep in mind Silva's contracted fights are running out and he apparently wants to fight Roy Jones Jnr in a boxing match (which Dana White doesn't want happening) so whether he's still in the UFC by next year for this fight to occur is also in question.

yer Sapp is the beast but he got flogged by Mirko CroCop after seeing that LEsnar would probably get him out of sheer skill not brutality