• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

For those women who think lifting weights will make them "bulk up"

Holy crap!

I liked one of the comments on that thread,

"Another thing. It looks more like a high bar squat and her stance doesn't seem very wide. Girl's core must made of frigging steel."

Obviously Chen Wei-Ling spent a lot of time with Swiss balls :p

I was just coming here to post about women's only gyms, since in my local rag I read an advertorial about Contours.

Here is Chen Wei-Ling.

wei-ling-chen.jpg

Do you think she is "toned"? Someone fetch me the calipers so I can test her bodyfat to see if she is working out properly. Do you think she would have lifted more if she went to Contours?

"The Contours workout incorporates weight machines and cardio equipment to give you the ultimate fitness regime," assistant manager Erin Micallef said. "Weight machines help women to tone up, improve strength and boost their metabolism, while cardio is designed to keep the heart rate elevated to burn off that unwanted weight."

One of my teachers at PT school announced proudly that she had been a programme director for a chain of women's gyms. Was it wrong that my respect for her dropped immediately?

What do the women think of the women's only gyms?

Re: women's only gyms, (slightly off-topic) I saw this ad on the gumtree website
URGENT... Consultants needed for ladies gym on the Central Coast - Health Club Jobs - Fitness Jobs - Gumtree Sydney

"Charismatic membership consultants required for a rapidly growing ladies gym on the Central Coast. IMMEDIATE START!

NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY!"

Oh dear - I thought to myself - not another of those 30 minute Contours or Curves gyms. (It's rather amusing that Contours tried to pip Curves by advertising a 29 minute workout...)

Aaaaaaanyway, back on topic, I once went to a women's only gym for a free 1 week trial. The atmosphere there was rather... insipid? It was a local Fernwood gym, there were barely any free weights, I had a program made up for me that consisted entirely of machine weights. Most women were on the overweight side and spent all their time in the cardio room. The ones that looked trim, fit and healthy also spent all their time in the cardio room...

Kyle, if you're interested about what women think about women only gyms, there's an interesting thread here on another forum I frequent
Which do u prefer: Ladies only gym, or mixed? - Vogue Forums

Yes, the advertorial mentions the 29min workout.

"We currently have the Feel 29 Again deal which includes our 29-minute workout, 29 days for free and only $29 to join our program."

The consensus of your linked thread seems to be that the womens-only gyms were nice but dull and unproductive. Perhaps they're meant to give a coffee shop atmosphere? I wonder because the advertorial went on to say,

"Our studio is a child-free zone, giving you that extra bit of time to focus on your own health and fitness."

Or maybe their marketing surveys showed that women were worried a women's only gym would be full of housewives with screaming kids?

Nearby we have Curves gym, when we first moved here my woman went to check it out but... it wasn't open. They just open at certain times for classes, which was not what she was after. Bunnings is right nearby, perhaps they have an old-fashioned view of the world and imagine that the blokes will go to Bunnings for an hour while the women bounce on Swiss balls or something.

Now if there were a women-only gym stacked with squat racks I would be impressed.

These wussy women's gyms must be popular and expanding, because whenever I do an online job search for "fitness", while about 1/2 the adverts are for membership salespeople or "opportunities" to pay someone else to work under them, some 1/3 are for women's gym instructors or personal trainers.

Real women lift heavy, damnit!

Should a man be stronger than a woman? Yes! That means the men have to work harder. Bree's boyfriend, are you reading this? :p

Think I will have to pull up this thread again when the boy gets back on Sunday!

I can't stand women's gyms and I have worked in one. But I guess I kind of have a different appreciation for them. For most of the women at these gyms, it is their 'me time'. It's not about being thin, it's about escaping the kids, house and work for some adult time where you are the only person that you have to think about. When they first start, it is all about losing weight, but they stay because that 30 minute session on the incline bike might be the only time that week they get without the kids and husband around. Plus if they get their heart pumping a bit, the exercise endorphins kick in and they get hooked, so it becomes about physical and mental health rather than weight.

Mum got back into exercise through Curves/Contours (can't tell the difference) because her friend owns one. After a few months of being told she was outside the 'safe cardio zone' and being told to stop putting the weights on the machine up, she decided it ws time to find somewhere more challenging. She is 49 soon and has no more chicken wings.

I love the way that Taiwanese chick did 200.5 to break the record and then 7kg more just to ram her point home.Awesome!