• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

how much water do you drink?

BoyFromAus

how much water do you drink?

I usually drink 3 litres a day and try to spread it evenly throughout the day.

However my problem is when I drink 3 litres, I always wake up in the middle of the night and need to p*ss.

So if I go to bed at 9pm.. 9:30pm I fall asleep but at 2am to 3am, I always wake up due to needing to go to the toilet.

How to stop this from happening?
Is it better to just drink less water or to drink the majority during the earlier hours ?...

cheers,

I drink 3 L of water a day too but not much after dinner. maybe try to drink the majority in the earlier hrs.

I dunno, maybe half a litre. But I also drink 500ml milk, and milk is mostly water. And I have a few cups of instant, so there's another half-litre or more. And usually a glass of juice, another 250ml. And a few pieces of fruit, so another litre there. Plus the regular food, most food is at least half water.

A bit more on workout days, the water fountain is just outside the gym, I usually allow myself a few mouthfuls between exercises. I only really sweat heavily for the squats, and if my training goes over an hour, so I don't have a heap of water to replace.

The water thing in the Army - because we faced risk of overheating from the heat and effort - was "if you're not pissing, and pissing nearly clear, you're not drinking enough." The average idle Aussie does not piss enough, and pisses bright yellow; the average fitness type drinks a bit too much, and pisses frequently and completely clear.

"Too much" not in the sense of "will do you harm", but in the sense of "more than you actually need, so don't stress if you have to drink less one day."

I don't want to spend all day in the loo anymore than I want to spend all day in the gym :)

i used to drink about 2 litres but that has been replaced with about 2 litres of milk now. sometimes i'll add a cup of green tea or a can of pepsi max, my post workout shake has about 400ml water and i might have a glass or 2 during the day if im thirsty but thats not often. everynight i have a piss at about 3-4am

I'm really bad I probably drink like two glasses of water if that. Though my pee is still clear so what is the go with that?

in reply to the first post..
I was the same, I drink heaps of water usually 3-4L at work an probably another 1L up till bed time..
I found that I was waking up round 2-3am started to annoy me but instead of drinking less I just didn't get outa bed.. so basically id wake up an need to pee but I wouldn't id just fall back to sleep after a week or so I stopped waking up through the night.. so now I just wake up and pee for about 5mins in the morning lol

just make sure you don't piss the bed :D

I'm really bad I probably drink like two glasses of water if that. Though my pee is still clear so what is the go with that?
You probably get enough water from juice, milk, or just normal food. For example, apples might be 200g each, you have three in a day that's 600g, they're 84% water - so you got 500ml of water from the apples.

Most people don't need to be drinking litres of water a day. Some kind of drink with each meal to "wash it down", in combination with the water in the meal itself, that's going to be plenty.

You only need more fluids than that if you're doing heavy physical work or it's hot and you're sweating. Again, more fluids don't do you harm (not unless you get into tens of litres), you'll just pee them out - but you don't need them.

The whole "eight glasses of water daily" thing comes from some paper in the 1940s, and while everyone quotes that, what they don't quote is that the guys finished up by saying that most people get it from their food anyway. See what snopes has to say about it.

"Valtin thinks the notion may have started when the Food and Nutrition Board of the National Research Council recommended approximately "1 milliliter of water for each calorie of food," which would amount to roughly two to two-and-a-half quarts per day (64 to 80 ounces). Although in its next sentence, the Board stated "most of this quantity is contained in prepared foods," that last sentence may have been missed, so that the recommendation was erroneously interpreted as how much water one should drink each day."​
But in the end if you are happy and comfortable drinking more or less, go for it. Everyone's body and nature is different. Just don't do drink heaps of water out of fear or wacky medical things happening if you don't, or because you think it's "cleansing" or any nonsense like that.

Last edited:
Just don`t drink after 7 pm if it is that much of a hassle.
If you are thirsty just have a sip to quench your thirst.

I drink about 3 litres of water a day, on top of milk, coffee, fruit, protein mixes etc. I've just gotten used to getting up at night to p*** and don't wake up too much when I go. Plus, it's sometimes nice to get up and realise how much sleep you have left to go.

The worst problem for me is needing to go to the bathroom at work! As a teacher I can't just go whenever I want to. Sometimes its a struggle to make it to recess or lunch!

yea I stopped drinking water after 7pm yesterday, except for the couple of small sips when i was taking tablets before sleep.... I slept at 10:30 pm and woke up at 3:47am AGAIN!!!! to pee... i tried to stay in bed this time and just sleep but i just had to go...

i think the problem may be due to the fan at night making it colder than it is.. so tonight i'll try sleeping without the fan turned on.

i sip on water throughout the day

probably in excess of 4L

have to fill my bottle minimum of two times while at the gym (~1.5L +)

i also use this
BRITA Aus-Fill & Go

makes a noticable difference to the water taste

2 Litres on average, on weights days will do 1.5L during the session alone. Come summer will drink even more I imagine. And that's straight water and not counting everything else.

I drink 2L+ of light milk per day (3-4x 600ml shakes), and generally about 3L+ of water a day... On some days too... about 2L of Johnny walker cans :p :)

i have about 2 litres throguh the day and 500mls after dinner. for some reason if i drink milk instead of water after 7 or 8 im all good.. if its water im up a couple times