• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Carbs

A

AJStrydom

Ive just got a little confusion i want to clear up

im trying to put on weight right now and i know that means i have to consume carbs after workouts. Would it be okay to throw in some white sugar into a protein shake or do i need another type of carbohydrate?

you don't need to have carbs post workout to grow like a monster. All this year, I've avoided carbs post workout & have managed to create a few great PB's in the mean time.

I strongly recommend having some type of low glycemic carbs post workout, ie sweet potatoe, basmatti rice post workout. If you REALLY wanted to, you can buy dextrose, at coles &/or woolworths. You'll find it in the home brewing of beer section. It's extremely high glycemic sugar. It'll shoot your blood sugar level thru the roof. It's pretty sweet.

fcuk, i've prolly just confussed the heck out of you!

i usually add 30g dextrose to my post workout. not sure if it makes a difference really but it does up my cals a bit for the day anyway lol

Ive just got a little confusion i want to clear up

im trying to put on weight right now and i know that means i have to consume carbs after workouts. Would it be okay to throw in some white sugar into a protein shake or do i need another type of carbohydrate?

Sugar is just empty carbs.Only energy and nothing else.Go for something with a bit more substance to it.I like a peanut butter and honey sanger on rye after a workout and a big glass of fruit juice.Works for me.

If you just want to chuck sugar in your protein shakes, then you can just buy skim milk powder instead of protein powder + sugar. It's heaps cheaper. It's what I do - I make a workout drink, 500ml milk + 100g skim milk powder + 3 eggs. This provides 73g protein, 80g carbs and 44g fat, or 1,000 calories.

I drink half before and half after my workout. The presence of the carbs gives an energy boost for the workout, and replaces lost energy afterwards.

Your body naturally carries glycogen - sugar - around in the bloodstream, half an hour of heavy workout burns this up. So if you load up beforehand, you remain fuelled for the whole workout.

The drink afterwards replaces the depleted stores of glycogen. Without that carb/fat intake afterwards, your body would start breaking down fat in your body to make more glycogen.

The protein part helps you grow muscles.

So overall, a drink like mine, and like what AJStrydom is suggesting, this is going to bulk you up. Provided of course the rest of your diet is okay.

Provided the rest of the diet stays the same over time, this will lead to a slow loss of fat. That's because as you build muscle, the body requires more calories just to keep all that muscle going. So if you don't care about fat while bulking up, or if you are happy for the fat loss to be slow, then this is a good workout drink.

If you want lots of fat loss, then your workout drink should be mostly protein, just a little bit of carbs/fat to fuel it.