• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Making yoghurt

Kyle Aaron

From the cottage cheese thread,
Keen Katie said:
Do you use an EasiYo maker or something similar? It's been on a to-do list of mine for ages... a friend has Easiyo and highly recommended it. Would love to hear more about it!
We bought the EasiYo, yes. But we don't buy their packets now.

What yeast is to flour, yoghurt culture is to milk. It's a living organism, give it warmth and sugar and water and it does its thing - yeast produces carbon dioxide as it eats sugar, that's why bread rises, and yoghurt culture produces the proteins and fats from consuming the sugars in milk. Just as bread rises better in the warm, so does yoghurt form better in the warm.

The EasiYo thing is basically a thermos/eski. It has a little platform in it, you pour the hot water in to the bottom of that and put the lid on, keeps whatever's inside warm for several hours.

EasiYo packets have powder which you mix with warm water and put in the 1 litre containers they give you, that container then goes into the thermos, and 6-24 hours later you get yoghurt. The packets contain the starter culture (like yeast) and powdered milk. They are about $2.50 each. So after buying the EasiYo kit ($20-$25), your yoghurt would cost you basically $2.50/kg (aside from boiling water cost, a cent or two). Which is already 1/4 to 1/2 the retail cost of yoghurt.

What we did was to buy the starter culture itself from greenlivingaustralia. That comes in a packet, you put it in a sterile jar in the freezer.

To make the yoghurt, you get some regular whole milk and bring it to just before the boil and keep it there for five minutes, then leave it to cool until it's warm-lukewarm - you do that because the milk has some natural bacteria in it which the heat kills, if you have untreated milk sitting warm for hours in the thermos you just get sour milk.

You boil water and put it in the EasiYo thermos as usual, pour the lukewarm milk into the 1lt container, mix a tiny spot of starter culture in there, put the lid on the 1lt container, then the container into the thermos, then 12-24 hours later you have got your yoghurt.

Once you've made the yoghurt, you can take 1/4 of it and use that as the starter for another batch. However after doing that 2 or 3 times it becomes weak, and the batches are runny.

The starter culture is $11.25 and shipping $9.75 (has to be registered mail and kept cool). They claim 100 yoghurt batches from one packet of culture, but my impression is they assume you'll be doing the recycling, making 2 or 3 batches from each original. We don't do that very often as my woman likes the yoghurt pretty solid, but I put yoghurt in my protein drinks sometimes, so I think we'll get about 40 batches of the solid out of it, and another 10 batches of the runnier stuff.

Boiling the milk to the right temperature is a hassle, so what we do is get longlife milk - this has already been heat-treated to kill all bacteria. Then I can just warm it up a bit on the stove. The UHT (longlife) milk is also for some reason the cheapest milk (except for milk powder), and around here is $1.08/lt.

So the costs are,

EasiYo thermos & 1lt bottle ~ $20
EasiYo culture/powder packs ~ $2.50
Thus, $2.50/kg

or

EasiYo thermos & 1lt bottle ~ $20
Starter culture & postage $21, ~50 portions ---- of course you can buy a heap of culture packs, they freeze, and the postage doesn't go up much
UHT milk, $1.08/lt --- we use a bit short of 1lt as the mixture expands as it turns into yoghurt, if you have it to the top it overflows
Thus, $1.50/kg

I didn't factor in the thermos costs because that depends on how often you use it, whether you break it in six months, etc. But it seems fair to assume it'd last five years at least if you didn't smash it (it can be dropped on a tiled floor without breaking, I can attest...)

There are other things you can add, there's this calcium chloride solution they normally use to make cheese more solid, it seems to work on yoghurt, too (we use it). And chucking in a spoonful or two of milk powder also thickens it up and boosts its nutritional value. Those both put up the cost but it's still far under $2/kg.

I think you'd have to eat at least 1kg/week in your household for it to be worth the trouble, otherwise some of it would go off, raising the effective price to near retail. But we've found that having it cheaply available at home makes us eat more, about 2kg/week.

Obviously you can add flavourings and fruit to it afterwards. My woman is particularly fond of buying frozen berries and mixing them in, and also yoghurt drinks with blended-in banana, or using the yoghurt as a base for dips (eg eggplant dip). I use the yoghurt in place of cream in things like risotto, beef stroganoff and pumpkin soup. You can also get $10 packs with another 1lt container and a few cup-sized containers, I take a small cup for my afternoon tea at school.

Last edited:
A lot of people make it with just milk,regular yoghurt and a saucepan.
Have you ever tried it?With success?

Yes, we have done that. However, it must be yoghurt with live cultures. So the little fruity pots and so on will never work. Greek yoghurts and fresh Jalna works well.

Again, you take a quarter of the yoghurt to make the next batch. And you can do that with the next batch, too. But again, after 2 or 3 cycles it gets weak and runny. And given the cost of the fresh yoghurt, it's more expensive than with the starter cultures.

Thanks Kyle!! I am now on the hunt for an EasiYo maker. Will post back once I get it :)

Thats not how you make yoghurt.

step 1 pour milk in glass
step 2 let sit for 5 days on warm bench top.
step 3 add flavour (ie fish)
step 4 eat
step 5 throw up.

Easy

Yes, we have done that. However, it must be yoghurt with live cultures. So the little fruity pots and so on will never work. Greek yoghurts and fresh Jalna works well.

Again, you take a quarter of the yoghurt to make the next batch. And you can do that with the next batch, too. But again, after 2 or 3 cycles it gets weak and runny. And given the cost of the fresh yoghurt, it's more expensive than with the starter cultures.

I might give it a try.Milk is relatively cheap here.On special 1 litre is can be as cheap as 125 yen compared to live yoghurt on special for the same price,at the cheapest, for 500 grams.
The question i just thought of is this- am I right to assume that 1 litre of milk would make 1 litre of yoghurt or does the volume increase a bit?

Wasn't sure whether to start a new thread, or dig up this old one - anyway, here is how I make yoghurt:

I make it in a 500ml capacity Thermos cup:

Put in 200ml of instant dried skim milk powder,
Add 200m ml of cold water from the tap,
(first time) add about half a teaspoon of yoghurt (see below).
Mix well.
Fill the container with boiling water.
Put on the lid, turn it up and down a couple of times to mix, then leave it overnight.

The ratio of powder, cold water and boiling water in this recipe gives the correct temperature for the fermentation to work - about 50 degrees C. Not enough boiling water, and you'll get runny stuff that your dog _might_ eat if you keep it hungry.

The starter youghurt is very important - it must be natural yoghurt, not sweetened, flavoured, or with added sugar or anything else. Look on the label - there should be listed only milk and (some scientific names for) culture. Don't use it if gelatine or any other sort of thickener is listed. "pot set" is a good thing to see.

I have had success with Farmer Brothers' European, and with Brooklea Natural tub-set low fat. I don't think it matters if your starting yoghurt is low fat or full cream, as you will be controlling the fat content subsequently, by the kind of milk powder you use.

Once you have made a good batch, then eat it (I stick it on my rolled oats, with fruit and wheat-germ), and don't wash out the pot. Keep the unwashed pot in the fridge, and when you make your next batch, add milk powder and cold water and mix (as above), and what's left of the previous batch acts as the starter culture for this one.

This recipe usually works. If it doesn't, then feed it to the dog, wash everything thoroughly, and start again with culture from the shop. When it does work well, you're on a run, and you can keep making it indefinitely.

When you get going, you can probably modify the recipe by adding more skim milk powder, or whey protein powder. The important thing is to make sure that the starting temeprature is right.

[MENTION=1190]poopoohead[/MENTION]; got annoyed because the PL mob around here called him a pussy for liking tricep kickbacks......go figure.