• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

which diet should i follow?

lucku

Hi,
am currently 24 yrs old.
95kg, 20% BF (from weighing machine) 186cm

I just started going to gym last week, and i am being overwhelmed by the information available on the internet.

I'm not sure which diet plan should i follow...

should i go on a keto diet? or just a normal diet plan?
my aim is to reduce my body fats %, and hoping to gain strength...

this is an example of my current diet.

meal 1 : (juice + wheat grass powder, beetroot powder, carrot powder) + egg & ham sandwich (non work out days) or 1 scoop of oats + milk + 1 scoop of protein powder (workout days)

meal 2 : 1 scoop of protein powder with milk or a handful of nuts

snack : 1 egg omelette + alfalfa sprouts

meal 3: stir fry vege (spinach or broccoli) with 100g of chicken breast, + yam

meal 4 : 100g grill chicken breast + alfalfa sprouts + lettuce, + (juice mix with dietary supplement)

snack : a handful of nuts

meal 5 : ham + egg

sometimes i use fish fillet instead of chicken meat.
and for nuts, i usually eat cashew nuts or macadamia or almond.

i would love to receive feedbacks on what to eat, and when to eat...
would be trying to eat cheese for my last meal of the day...

thx alot!
regards,
jj
;)

Howdy,
If you are trying to rduce bodyfat it may be a little difficult to gain strength. Concentrate on one or the other first, prioritise.

A ket diet may work well for you in reducing bodyfat and would suggest you give it a go, also i would like to know your results if you do try it. There's some info here http://ausbb.com/nutrition-diet/8683-keto-diet.html on keto diets,
Cheers.

Howdy,
If you are trying to rduce bodyfat it may be a little difficult to gain strength. Concentrate on one or the other first, prioritise.

A ket diet may work well for you in reducing bodyfat and would suggest you give it a go, also i would like to know your results if you do try it. There's some info here on keto diets,
Cheers.

hmm.... okie...
will do..
i'll stay awy from processed carbs.

Shrek, correct me if I'm wrong but a keto diet plan is rather full on ie. difficult for a beginner to master. Getting the body into ketosis needs a very finely tuned diet, doesn't it?

Hyjak says it better than me on the bottom of this page
http://ausbb.com/nutrition-diet/8683-keto-diet.html

Lucku, I am not trying to bag you out, however the fact that you asked whether oats were allowed on the keto diet shows that you don't know too much about it yet. Is that right? Personally if I was a beginner I would stick to a standard diet plan because there's more of a chance of finishing it. If you are going to do the keto diet, start reading up now! :) Read, read, read, and make sure you know what's going on. Good luck :)

Lucku, I am not trying to bag you out, however the fact that you asked whether oats were allowed on the keto diet shows that you don't know too much about it yet. Is that right? Personally if I was a beginner I would stick to a standard diet plan because there's more of a chance of finishing it. If you are going to do the keto diet, start reading up now! :) Read, read, read, and make sure you know what's going on. Good luck :)

all comments are welcomed :D...
i got mixed up when i saw the keto diet and also people saying to have oats for breakfast, and cottage cheese for last meal as it will release protein at a steady rate while sleeping...

have been reading PTC's newsletter this morning... and i got even more confused... :confused:

basically my goal is to get healthy again :D...
and since diet takes up 80% of the work...
i just wanna get it right...

So is this kind of meal alright for me?

training days

meal 1 : juice + wheat grass powder, oats with milk & 1 scoop of protein powder

meal 2/ post workout meal: 1 scoop of protein powder with milk, 1 orange / apple

meal 3 : chicken breast/fish/beef with veges and yam

meal 4 : same as 3 but without yam

meal 5 : 2 eggs and bacon / ham

meal 6 : protein shake + cottage cheese

snacks of nuts inbetween

non work out days

meal 1 : juice + wheat grass powder, oats with milk

meal 2 : 2 eggs + bacon/ham + sprouts

meal 3 : chicken breast/fish/beef with veges and yam

meal 4 : protein shake

meal 5 : same as 3

meal 6 : eggs & bacon + cottage cheese

just wanna make sure im eating right :D

That looks alright, lucku, just make sure you get plenty of vegies - should be half the plate when you have them :D

Unfortunately, despite what the science and the broscience tell us, there are no hard and fast answers, it depends on the exact quantities you have, the exact exercise you do, how active you are outside the gym, your genetics and so on. The human body is not like a machine that burns 1.218 litres of petrol an hour no matter what, it's heaps more complicated. You have to go by feel.

So try your diet for a bit, lift heavy one day and run hard the next, and see how you feel over time. If you feel tired all the time and a bit sick, you probably need more food and/or vegies. If you feel energetic and lively, you have probably got it right.

Throw away your scales, this is why. Use your mirror and tape measure instead. Take progress pictures and keep a journal (doesn't have to be public like here, but that can help as you get advice/encouragement) of all your food eaten, all your exercise done, and how you feel that day.

Last edited:
cool!...
thx for the replies...

i'll setup a journal...
and hope tat i have the discipline to follow it! :D

YES oats are ok in a keto diet

the important thing with a keto diet is to have 5-10% of your overall calories being direct carbs (either high, medium or low on the glycemic index).

In my experience, a keto diet is just as effective for a beginner. A young guy I'm helping out, has lost around 40kg as a result of a keto diet.

i agree, grab your scales & throw them out the window. their bloody useless. Use the mirror....it's when it comes to weight classes that you need scales, ie if you need to be in the under 90kg class, then you'll need them. For a recreational fat loss diet, go by how you look

I lost a heap of weight doing a keto diet, but each person if different with how many carbs they can consume and stay in ketosis. Back when I did it, oats would have knocked me out. You can buy sticks that you pee on that measure whether or not you are in ketosis. Meant for diabetics and there is nothing pleasant about pissing on a paper stick and looking at its colour, but its a good way to measure your limits when you first start on a ketogenic diet.

dont worry about the keto stick, the idea of a keto diet is to be into keto, generally speaking as much as you can, when you get knocked out, hope back in

dont worry about the keto stick, the idea of a keto diet is to be into keto, generally speaking as much as you can, when you get knocked out, hope back in

???
but with that amount of "fats" you are consuming...
isnt it harmful if u aren't in a keto mode?

:confused:

There is a risk that if you are no actually in ketosis that you will gain weight instead, which is why if you are someone who likes certainty, I would recommend the sticks.

There is a risk that if you are no actually in ketosis that you will gain weight instead, which is why if you are someone who likes certainty, I would recommend the sticks.

I'm unsure of that. Aren't we always using ketones ANYWAY as a source of energy, it's amount is dependent on the amount of glucose in our body (not to be confused with gluconeogenesis?)