• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

core strength

Walk outs.

Stand, bend and place your hands on the ground, walk out as far as you can on your hands, till your hands are past your head, like an extended pushup position, then walk back, stand up, repeat 10 times.

The goal would be to do superman pushups

when planks get too easy, do side planks.

I prefer developing core strength through functional exercises eg. rockclimbing - it's fabulous for the core!

Walk outs.

Stand, bend and place your hands on the ground, walk out as far as you can on your hands, till your hands are past your head, like an extended pushup position, then walk back, stand up, repeat 10 times.

The goal would be to do superman pushups

.... :confused: you will have to show me when I come to one of the sessions

Planks are? ... is that where you are on the ground and you lift up with your toes and your elbows?

A walkout with an exercise ball is demonstrated here.

[YOUTUBE]G31Y8ORV79M[/YOUTUBE]

If you don't have an exercise ball, you just use your feet as Markos said, or you can use a chair.

And here is a plank.

[YOUTUBE]9Ar2iRusnnc[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I just vomited a bit in my mouth.

The PTC record is 4min29sec for a plank.

the fitness ball vid is just a sight gag....right.

see you Monday Katherine

Geez your wife is amazing! I was just about ready to shrug off that 4:29 plank, thinking it was a guy's time. But when it's a 44 yo mother of five... well... what can I say?

Well yes. Unfortunately they're the trendy thing at the moment. I'm sure it'll pass in a year or two to be replaced by something else equally pointless.

Luckily my school told me that doing anything with Swiss balls was a "very advanced" exercise, so I can use that as an excuse to avoid giving it to anyone. "Sorry, you must spend two years on deadlifting before you can use Swiss balls, basics first." By that time they'll have forgotten about them, I hope.

I couldn't find a youtube vid of a proper walkout, that was the closest one.

And that is why PT's are treated with contempt in the real lifting world.

Doesnt stop them earning money from ignorant plebs though.

Good luck to them

Thanks for the casual swipe, mate.

Thing is, there is experience, and there is book-learning. Funnily enough, people who have mostly one say the other is worthless. And they're both wrong. Each is useful, and they complement each-other.

It's good to have a broad perspective on these things. The real purpose of the Swiss balls is to keep clients entertained. People have short attention spans these days. If keeping them entertained keeps them physically active, then even something as stupid as Swiss balls has value. Better that than nothing at all.

As has been said a few times recently on the forum, the whole "core strength" thing is a bit of a fad, too. If you do exercises using your core - pushups, situps, deadlifts, squats, etc - it'll get strong along the way. Some people do need to focus on that area, though - mostly formerly sedentary office worker types. Just not as much as is commonly thought.

Fads. What can you do?

I am not an ignorant pleb and I have a PT. Just because someone is a PT doesn't mean that they focus on fads.

Aren't you essentialy a PT but without the piece of paper?

I am not an ignorant pleb and I have a PT. Just because someone is a PT doesn't mean that they focus on fads.
It doesn't, but it does happen a lot. Part of this is the industry structure: to be a member of Fitness Australia or one of the state bodies, you must do short courses, go to conferences, subscribe to magazines and so on. And the courses available tend to focus on the most recent fad - the conferences not so much (from what I hear), but the magazines are somewhat faddy, too. So all that does influence people.

Combine that with the simple fact that most people, whatever their job, they're pretty ordinary at it, and tend to do it "by the numbers", just ticking off the right boxes, and...

Also you have to add in the fact that clients before hiring a personal trainer will often do lots of magazine and internet research, so when they come to the PT they'll specifically ask for certain types of training, and specifically reject others. For example one woman in my PT course was saying she didn't do weights because she didn't want to bulk up, and that she had booted one PT because she wanted her to do weights. I'm hoping she'll get that sorted out by the course, but it shows the mindset of many clients. Whatever is trendy, they want and insist on - or they walk away.

It's not inevitable that PTs will prescribe the latest fads, but is a strong tendency.
breebreerocks said:
Aren't you essentialy a PT but without the piece of paper?
Sssssshhhh. :p

Last edited: