• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Questions supplement companies don't want to be asked

howzit

If the sports supplements these days are as powerful as they are made out to be in the magazine ads, why do athletes still use steroids?
If the multi billion dollar pharmaceutical companies cannot come up with an effective enough supplement to help people get rid of obesity, how is it that smaller supplement companies with much less capital for research have such powerful self described weight loss supplements?
Do you (you refers to the company from which you buy or intend to buy your branded supplement) manufacture your own whey proteins or do you buy them from cheese/dairy manufacturing plants?
Since you don't manufacture your own proteins, is it fair to say that ultimately how good a protein powder is depends on where you buy it from?
If another smaller company (considering that the company from which you buy your supplements is a big one) buys the protein from the same whey manufacturing plant, would you say the product is identical except for the flavour and packaging?
Isn't expensive flashy packaging used simply to make the product more attractive without actually offering any other benefit except perhaps convenience (which would be the case in a resealable foil bag versus a typical plastic tub. We admit, the plastic tub would be more convenient but you should purchase only one and then refill it)

PROTEINDIRECT - Questions supplement companies don’t like to be asked

Pretty funny and true. Thoughts?

Of course it's all bollocks. But no matter the science, people will continue buying these things because they want a shortcut.

It's sometimes a bit bleak to look at it all seriously and realise...
  1. eat
  2. lift
  3. eat
  4. sleep
  5. eat
  6. run
  7. eat
  8. sleep
  9. return to #1
is about it. I mean, just to maintain my current unimpressive size and fitness, I'd have to do something like bench 3 sets of 8 reps of 70kg, squat 3 sets of 16 reps of 70kg, and barbell row 3 sets of 8 reps of 70kg twice a week, and run 5km three times a week, every week for the rest of my life - maybe 40 years.

3 sets of 8 reps 2 times a week for 52 weeks of 40 years is 24,960 times I have to lift that bar off my chest or come up from in the hole or lift the bar into my chest. And the runs are 5km 3 times a week for 52 weeks of 40 years, or 31,200km. That's pretty daunting.

And then there's the diet, the years of watching what you eat and saying "no" to things, holding back on the beers with the boys or the cakes with the girls...

Now put in that in fact I don't just want to maintain, but to continue growing muscle and losing fat, and that in years to come I may have injuries and plenty of bad days when I don't feel like lifting or running, days when I'm tired or pissed off or can't be bothered or when I've been slogging it hard for three months with no change good or bad, and...

Man, if only there were something that could just give me an edge... a little edge.

If people have hopes of using their strength and fitness for some sort of competitive sport, it's even more tempting to believe all that nonsense.

Man, if only there were something that could just give me an edge... a little edge.

If people have hopes of using their strength and fitness for some sort of competitive sport, it's even more tempting to believe all that nonsense.

god, this is so so true. im a competetive athlete, and there is definatly the temptation. Because at an elite level, every little bit counts.