• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Snacks

P

Polly

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for snacks? I mainly snack on fruit, muesli bars and nuts (almonds, brazil nuts etc) but cant stop eating nuts once I start. I find it really hard to find snacks which are satisfying, always seem to be hungry. Any suggestions?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for snacks? I mainly snack on fruit, muesli bars and nuts (almonds, brazil nuts etc) but cant stop eating nuts once I start. I find it really hard to find snacks which are satisfying, always seem to be hungry. Any suggestions?

Coffee suppresses hunger i find.

nuts are good but very calorie dense so watch how much you eat. muesli bars are crap, too much sugar.

If you eat regularly you will negate the need for snacks.
have 5-6 meals per day and forget the snacks.

nuts are good but yes I always eat to many, completely my fault I know lol. Thanks Shrek I am trying to increase the overall size and protein content of my lunch so I dont get as hungry in the afternoon.

First up, to eat less nuts get ones where you have to crack the shell to get at them. A lot harder to scarf them down, then :D

To reduce hunger pangs, eat foods that take longer to digest. Grainy bread rather than white bread, steak rather than burgers, fruit rather than fruit juice, and so on. Basically apart from boiled sweets, the harder it is to chew the harder it'll be for your guts to digest. And the longer it sits in your belly the longer you'll feel full.

Have a look at your overall diet, too. There's a theory floating around that sometimes people are hungry not because they lack calories, but because they lack nutrition. That is, when you get hungry your body is saying "gimme vitamins and minerals." This theory makes sense to me, but I note that it has zero scientific backing :D

So if you're just having (for example) oats for breakfast, plain chicken wraps for lunch, and a steak for dinner, you're missing out on a lot of nutrition - you need a wide variety of fresh fruit and vegies, too.

very good tip with nuts Kyle!

that makes good sense I don't eat much bread I find that it blows me up like a ballon I have a couple of pieces on the wkend but thats about it. I tend to think that I eat pretty well ie oats, half a bannana & yoghurt for brekky, fruit for morning t, tuna salad & bannana for lunch, nuts & muesli bar for arvo t and chicken & vegie stir fry with brown rice for t. That was today anyway.

I dont think it helps that I work in an office and sit on my butt all day because I am never as hungry on the wkend's?

Office jobs never help your long-term health, strength, agility and fitness, no.

I was saying this a while back, people were saying howcome nowadays there are so many gyms and personal trainers and diet books and so on, we didn't need so many thirty years ago, why do we need them now?

It's because so few of us do physically active jobs. Thirty years ago a lot more people were farmers, miners, loggers, or worked in factories. Now most people shuffle paper around or smile at customers. So they just don't get the physical activity during the work day, they have to get it in their leisure time or blow up into puff pastries.

Once I couldn't get a chef job for a bit, and so I went and worked for a few months in a sheet metal factory on a guillotine cutting 2-8mm sheet steel. The steel came in sheets of 1m x 2m minimum, and so weighed 40 or 100kg. Sometimes there'd be a 2m x 6m sheet, that might weigh half a tonne. A forklift would come over and put it on rollers, but I'd still have to shift it around on the rollers and make sure it was cut right, accurate within +/-1mm, so that was a lot of shuffling around of 100+kg.

And there was a lot of carrying around of scrap, and because me and a Polynesian guy were the biggest ones there, all the rest little Vietnamese guys, whenever they needed to move some machine or boxes they called on us.

My upper body and legs grew like mad, I ate like a horse, I didn't need any gym membership for that.

But then later I went back to cheffing, just standing around chopping carrots and eating lots of pasta really doesn't do much for your physique. And so after a couple of years I had to sort myself out, as I did this year.

So if you're doing some physically active job, exercise and diet aren't difficult, your lifestyle takes care of it - you might have to tune it up here and there, but you're basically on the right track. But if you're in the service industry, your diet and lifestyle will destroy you, and you have to take care of it outside work time.

- 2 Pieces of Wholemeal toast with Natural Peanut Butter and a Banana.
- 2 Pieces of Wholemeal toast with 100g of Cottage Cheese and 4 slices of tomato with a little pepper.

They are two snacks that I eat quite frequently.

thanks, I try to drink water all day but it gets a bit hard down in freezing tassie lol

I bought a Musashi juice thing with 30g protein, no sugar or carbs for $2.50 on special. Was aiight.

how funny I brought the same thing at woolies yesterday after the gym, choc flavored protein drink I agree it was pretty good.

I love vegemite and avacado or vegemite and cottage cheese on multigrain bread.

Avacado is the bomb! try putting it on celery or pak choi instead of peanut butter for something different.

thanks I brought some avacados last wkend and your right it is good stuff!

Hi Polly,

Are you bored or have you always been hungry like that? If you're at peace with yourself and are fine, then nuts are the healthiest and one of the most nutritionally dense foods you can put in your mouth. They stabilise your blood sugar and look after your bones better than a ton of milk. I hope you're having the raw kind and not the other. Also, learn to take forever chewing on nuts. This way you'll not only break down the chemicals that are hard to digest, but you'll also get the full benefit from their nutritional make up.

Polly, you didn’t say that you’ve got a problem and you don’t sound like you have one either. So what exactly is the issue do you think? Have you asked Polly that? Take care.

Fadi.

I really love the roasted almonds, naughty I know. I have always had a really fast metabolism my mum is quite small and so is my sister, my dad is a different story lol and since I have been doing more weight training it seems to have speed it up a whole lot more. I have never been as happy with my body and life in general I love being fit and eating well.