• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Too much protein?

N

No1joey

Am I eating too much protein?

I am having two serves of chicken thigh fillets a day, about 250g per serve that is (125g per thigh - skin & bone off), which according to caloriecount. com is about 62g of Protein.... is this wasting protein? can your body absorb this much from meat in one meal?

I think I am eating too much protein. I weigh 70kg and am about 13% body fat...

I eat on a training day about 4 thigh fillets a day - 62g, plus about 2 eggs - 12g, plus about 2 lean sausages - 16g, protein bar - 25g, plus a shake - 30g, plus a bed time shake - 30g, im having about 175g of protein a day.... is this too much? I eat about 1 less serving of chicken and 1 less protein shake on an off day.... so about 90g of protein on an off day ..

Comments, advice please!!

too much? hard to say, since every 'body' is different.
it's recommended that athletes take in somewhere between 1 & 2g of protein per pound of LBM (lean body mass).

If you're 70kg @ 13% bf, that's a LBM of 60.10kg.

60.10 x 2.2 = 135lb. Therefore working around 134 & 268g of protein a day.

The best way to tackle this is to split it up into as many meals as possible. I'm currently eating around 8 meals a day. It drives my girlfriend mental...but it works a treat.

Do yourself a favour & google 'Nutritional data' & click on the first link

i eat between 2-300g per day, its probably a bit more than i need but it just comes with the amount of food i eat each day plus my pre and post workout shakes.

hhmm... I thought it was 1-2g per Kg of body weight.. which would make my 'limit' 140g of protein a day?..

The only question is: are you growing? Are you achieving your muscular gain goals? If you are, then great! Keep doing what you're doing. Practice is what matters.

Now the theory...

More than 2g/kg is not going to do you much good, except inasmuch as it's part of calories for energy. You'll tend to poo and piss it out, assuming you have enough calories altogether.

Yes, you can absorb a lot of protein in one go. There is some evidence that having many small meals (whatever's in them) is better for you than having a couple of big meals. Better for you in that you have a higher average energy level, and are more likely to put on muscle as a result of your workouts.

However, as a beginner - anyone in their first year of serious training - it won't make much difference. 250g chicken in one big slab of 250g, or 5 meals of 50g each, not much difference for you. So long as you have at least 0.8g/kg protein daily, and consume more calories (whether calories from protein, carbs or fat) than you expend, you'll grow.

Don't worry about the details too much. The "extra" protein past the 2g/kg is just 35g. That's 140 calories, most of a glass of milk, or a couple chocky biscuits. Not a big deal in the scheme of things. Your body is pretty resilient, you can have a wide variety of diets and still do okay.

The major concern with eating over 2g/kg is how much it's costing you in expensive protein powders and/or meat. 35g is not much, it's only the guys eating 300+g protein daily whose wallets will be hurting.

following on with Kyle, in terms of monitoring protein intake, it's prolly not that important, as long as you get in the minimum. As previously mentioned, you'll prolly end up poo'ing it out, if not, then you'll grow.

The only thing i monitor, all year around, is my carb intake. I must admit, i don't actually know what my protein & fat intake is. I can make a rough guess...but it doesn't really matter to me, I'm still staying lean & growing, so it's a no-brainer to me