• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Build Muscle and burn fat

betcats

Hi all,

Im 19yo about 6'5 and weigh approx 103.5 Kilos.

I joined the full time workforce 8 months ago and lost a lot of time for exercise but ive recently (3 weeks ago) joined a gym mainly to lift weights, I do a tiny bit of cardio but not much.

I am seeing results in terms of the muscles strength gaining (Every where that i have worked is slightly bigger and more defined) but I would like to burn fat as I have bit of a gut though I wouldnt say I am over weight. Most people look at me and think im pretty average build, but if you saw me with my shirt off my stomach is pretty flabby.

I guess my question is what is a good way to burn fat while my main focus is building muscle?

I know changing my diet is a big part it, and i am doin but to be honest im not sure what the best dieat for me is.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated, and please let me know if i have posted in the wrong section.

Ok my daily diet is something like this:

Breakfast:

Either vegimite toast or cereal or a combination of both.

Snack: Usually an orange or manderin, occasionally I will have a vegimite sandwich.

Lunch: Most of the time this will be some form of chicken sandwich or roll. About once a week will be steak and vegies.

Dinner: Still live at home so whatever mum cooks.

Also I'd about 2 of my meals per week are subbed by some incredibly unhealthy fast food.

I also drink more then is recommended most weekends.

I am trying to make my diet more healthy but i am not sure what is best, also time is an issue, i would say on average weekday i am travelling to and at work from 6am to 6 30 pm. Combined with my nightly gym workouts i dont have alot of time.

Thanks

Powerbuilder,I would love to improve my diet, i understand what foods healthy but im not sure what diet is best for me is as it seems to be a lot more complex then I orginally thought.

Ricko, not sure as to my body fat %, will have to woek this out, i would say I have athletic build, for most of my life I was probably leaning a bit towards the skinny side, but about a year ago i stopped growing and have put about 10 kilos (mostly, if not all fat) but I am still fairly athletic, the only place i really look like im carrying any extra fat is my stomach,. Ive always been pretty active, playing soccer, basketball and surfing but as I just started full time work i no longer play competition basketball or soccer and surf only occasionaly on w.e, but have recently joined the gym and have been going 4-6 times a week.

I think I have burnt of some fat since starting the gym, my stomach looks a bit thinner, although my weight has remained about the same.

Last edited:
I am in the same boat as you, i put on weight since i started working fulltime.. and i know my Diet is not the best but I have made some improvements in the past 5 months or so and I have noticed a difference....

I am now seeing a friend who is a dietitian to get some advise on what I can do to get the results I am after

I'm doing 60 hour weeks & manage to maintain sub 15 % bodyfat levels, training 3-4 days a week.

i realize you understand what 'healthy' food is. In this instance, it's likely that it's contributing to fat gain or at best, fat retention.

Which one would you prefer to do, build muscle or burn fat ? i think both is possible, difficult...but possible. Best to pick one at a time tho at your stage

how would u feel about having scarmbled eggs for breakfast instead of your toast &/or cereal?

I gues my main goal is ti build muscle, so ill focus on that at this stage. To be honest i would love to have scrambled eggs for breakfast, ill give it a try to see if I have the time in the mornings.

I think you should focus on dropping bodyfat levels before gaining muscle. Get to 10% bodyfat (if not lower) and then focus on rapid muscle gain. By that time, you'll also be better conditioned.

Doing both is possible but the thing is, it happens over a long period of time and you end up achieving one goal properly while the other improperly. So it's not like you'll gain 10kg of muscle while losing 10kg of fat.

I think you should focus on dropping bodyfat levels before gaining muscle. Get to 10% bodyfat (if not lower) and then focus on rapid muscle gain. By that time, you'll also be better conditioned.

that's a good point actually.

I'd like to point out the obvious, that if you gain, say 10kg in the span of a year, depending on what your diet is like, muscle gains could be 1-2kg. BFA is right tho, keeping your body fat level low will help you learn good habits in terms of cardio, diet & rest

This is such a paradox. Gaining muscle while burning fat at the same time. Jargon that the supplement industry has made up to sell supplements. I think sprinters seem to have a pretty good balance when it comes to this equation. Muscle is like protein if you have too much you piss it out the other end. Same with Muscle if you have too much it is a hinderance and slows you down. :cool: