• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Major gas with protein powder

E

EdCid

Hi all,

Just need some opinions on the following -

Not too long ago I purchased my first protein powder as I felt I'd hit a plateau. Till then the only supps I took were a multi, fish oil, glucosamine and mono creatine (all long-term with no issues).

Now I'd had a bit of gastro just before starting the protein but nothing major and whenever I'd gotten gastro it rarely lasted more than 2 days. Once that settled I took my first dose of protein (Max's GTE WPC).

Now, I'm not sure if it was the next stage of my gastro or if it was the protein but a few hours after this first dose I start getting a crampy stomach and start developing major gas. I continued taking it for a week and to be honest, since I didn't want to believe it was the protein, I put it down to the gastro from earlier having gone from diaorrhea (sp?) to bad gas.

I couldn't take it any longer though (neither could my family LOL) and 4-5 days ago I stopped the protein altogether to see if it made any diff. My farts are still quite off (more off than normal LOL) but a lot less frequent and the cramps are gone. End of this week when hopefully things have improved further I will start this protein again and see if the problem resurfaces. If it does then I'll have confirmed it's the powder.

If this is the case, is it common? Am I overdosing? I followed the instructions (2 scoops = 60g, I'm 102kg). Could it be some specific ingredient?

Here's it's ingredient listing for Max's site -

Ingredients: Instantised Whey Protein Concentrate, Micellar Casein, Natural & Nature Identical flavours & colours, Vegetable Gums (407, 412, 415), Glutamine Peptides, L-Taurine, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine, Maxzyme P enzyme blend, Soy Lecithin, Sweeteners (950, 951), Minerals (Potassium Citrate, Tri Calcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Ferrous Fumarate, Zinc Sulphate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite, Chromium Chloride), Vitamins (Vitamin C, Nicotinamide, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Niacin, Thiamin, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3, Biotin, Vitamin B12).
Contains Milk Proteins and Soy Lecithin. May contain traces of wheat from flavours.

If it is then I'll be taking it back and asking for store credit. Should I stick to the most popular brands?

Thanks in advance guys!

Ed

Edit - Forgot to mention I'm definitely not lactose intolerant (I regularly drink milk and other dairy products) and actually have being having the shakes with water anyways.

Last edited:
yup, it's the Whey protein CONCENTRATE that causes the gas. I used to always consume it after a workout... and after that, my lower right ab would feel swollen... burp, fart, burp... stomach acid etc.etc.

Whey Protein Isolate is the way to go.

yup, it's the Whey protein CONCENTRATE that causes the gas. I used to always consume it after a workout... and after that, my lower right ab would feel swollen... burp, fart, burp... stomach acid etc.etc.

Whey Protein Isolate is the way to go.

Now that you mention it, yes there was some burping going on too. It bloats me which in one sense is good because it makes me feel full but cramps, smelly constant gas, burps...for days afterwards? No thanks.

I had very bad gas at the start too, but within 2 weeks it stopped and I get no side effects now at all, try and stick it out, see if your body gets used to it. :)

I had very bad gas at the start too, but within 2 weeks it stopped and I get no side effects now at all, try and stick it out, see if your body gets used to it. :)

I don't know if I can to be honest, it is that bad. Not just the gas but the crampy/bloated feeling, the need to pass wind every 5 minutes (worse when I'm doing cardio)....

When I do get on it again, I'll do a couple of days worth to see if it's full blown again.

Or would it be worth getting on some WPI if it's starts again even to a small degree?

Just my 2 cents worth, i review supplements and i have tried 30 different proteins and many flavours over the last 8 months. My advice is to get a better quality protein. I am lactose intolerant and i reguarly get upsets down stairs. I also drink all my drinks with lactose free milk. There are many people out there that actualy have some form of lactose intolerance, some mild some severe. I have used ON Gold standard whey in many flavours and no issues, i also use and recomend Syn Tec, there whey in my opinion is of the highest quality, its from new Zealand. I also have used International Protein. Most of the mainstay brands or supermarket brands are to price pointed. If you new the prices of the raw materials by themselfs you would understand who is using what, expect to pay 130+ for a 3-4kg tub or 145-169 for a 10lb bag. Hope this helps. PM me if you want any other advice on proteins.
AZZA

Many thanks Azza, if they start up again I may need to look for another brand and I'll be asking for advise.

Cheers!

hello guys iam just new to the forum i have been taking a protein called body ripped with no gas just a little constipation but i just add some fibre and all is good. i have put 4kg of muscle on in 4 weeks and also lost 4kg of fat and it taste great

Just an update - all good so far, things have settled down to pretty much back to normal. Will start on the powder again Monday morning straight after weights and see how things go. Will keep posted.

hello guys iam just new to the forum i have been taking a protein called body ripped with no gas just a little constipation but i just add some fibre and all is good. i have put 4kg of muscle on in 4 weeks and also lost 4kg of fat and it taste great
How exactly do you know you out on 4kg of muscle and lost 4kg of fat? Did you have a dexa scan before and after?????:confused::confused::confused:

How exactly do you know you out on 4kg of muscle and lost 4kg of fat? Did you have a dexa scan before and after?????:confused::confused::confused:
well at the gym i go to, they measured my body fat index, and weight when i first started going and i got another assessment after 4 weeks which they toke all the measurements again and did the calculation which is where she come up with the 4kg of muscle and 4kg fat loss thats why she went to tafe for 4 years i surpose :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Gavin, I appreciate you are keen but 4kg muscle gain with 4kg BF loss would've totally transfomed your body. I think that is not quite accurate. What tool did they use to measure your bodyfat, remembering most are fairly inaccurate?
I'm not saying you didn't gain muscle, you probably did but I'd say in 4 weeks possibly 2kg would be more on the mark.

well at the gym i go to, they measured my body fat index, and weight when i first started going and i got another assessment after 4 weeks which they toke all the measurements again and did the calculation which is where she come up with the 4kg of muscle and 4kg fat loss thats why she went to tafe for 4 years i surpose :eek::eek::eek::eek:

^^^^i'll have what he's having thanks. :D

either that or i gotta get tested at your gym!

just work hard and eat right it will come

Last edited:
just work hard and eat right it will come

i do and it does.

im actually sceptical of your gains. 4 kilos of muscle whilst losing 4 kilos in 4 weeks is extremely unlikely. got before and after shots?

edit: whats your stats?

height & weight, before and after. routine and diet, how many cals you taking in each day?

Last edited:
well thats what my trainer work out i didnt think it was very high as i said before iam not a trainer but as shek said to how inaccurate these results are all i no is i have put a fair bit of muscle on all natural .
i do train for about 2 to 3 hours 3 times a week i do the hole body with my bro thats y iam there for so long