• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Protein = Kidney problems?

Tall_Tim

Hey guys

I was talking to a guy who's been bodybuilding for a few years now and he asked me about my diet and such and eventually said...
"Its good to take in additional protein from shakes/whey protein etc and such but get off it after a few months and stay off it for 3 months or so and get your protein from strict diet only"
When I asked him why he told me "too much protein with or without the exercise causes stress on your kidneys later on in life if you take it all the time so "cycle" pre and post workout intakes over 3-4 month periods"

Has anyone ever heard of this? Does it hold any credit?

There is some evidence that more than 2.5g protein per kg bodyweight can lead to kidney problems.

However, there is also evidence that more than 2.0g protein per kg bodyweight gives you no extra strength and muscle growth benefits compared to 1.5-2*. So even if it didn't harm you, it wouldn't help you - so why spend the money on all that food and protein powder, when you're just going to poo and piss it out?

And there is also evidence that people in their first year of training will gain muscle and strength whatever their protein intake, provided they have a calorie surplus, ie eat more than they spend.

So - first year, eat lots of whatever. After that, eat moderate amounts of whatever to maintain what you've got, and if you still want to build muscle and strength, eat 1-2g protein/kg bodyweight.

*If you're drug-free. If you take human growth hormone or steroids you can exceed these protein limits and get more growth. But then you screw yourself up in other ways, so don't do it.

very true mate, i was on the protein and so was my brother now i dont use anything and he still does but we a re still gettting the same gains although he gets more done then me cos i like my social life, i think protein does help for sure but if diet is good then you have nothing to worry about

Annals of Internal Medicine, Mar 18, 2003

and a heap of others.

Essentially, if you are healthy, then it's unlikely to be a problem. But if you already have some complicating health factor, then it may be a problem. And a very large number of Australians have other complicating health factors, such as obesity, high blood pressure, adult onset diabetes, and so on. You have to look at and deal with individuals, of course, but to be prudent, a general recommendation is to be cautious, and keep it under 2.5g/kg.

Anyway, it does you no good after about 2.0-2.5g/kg; or to be precise, it has not been shown to do any good.

Sources:- Evaluation of protein requirements for strength trained athletes, Tarnopolsky et al, Journal of Applied Physiology, Vol 73, pp1986-95
- A review of Nutritional Practices and Needs of Bodybuilders, Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, Vol 9 pp116-124

The Australian Institute of Sport, who we might expect to know something about diet and strength training, tell us in an article entitled "increasing muscle mass",

"In most cases, a high-energy diet that provides 1.2-2g of protein per kilogram of body mass will ensure that protein needs are met. These protein intakes are easily met by consuming a varied diet that meets your energy needs. Consuming protein above this level does not have an anabolic effect. Excess protein will be oxidised as an energy source and may contribute to gains in body fat."

More than 2.0-2.5g/kg does you no good. So why bother? Save your money and food preparation time.

Last edited:
Essentially, if you are healthy, then it's unlikely to be a problem.

exactly
high protein diets + pre existing condition = bad

there is no evidence of high protein diets on their own causing kidney damage

Last edited:
*shrug*

If you want to spend more money just to do bigger poos, by all means go ahead.

Ignore those morons at the AIS, what would they know?

If you don't intend to consume more than that, why would you care if it's harmful or not?

"Can you prove it's harmful to chop off my finger with a box cutter?"
"Why would you want to do that?"
"Who said I wanted to do that?"
"Why else would you ask?"

That's the kind of nonsense we come to expect on the internet, especially from people with screen nicks that are nowhere close to their real names. Don't do that, it's tiresome and pointless. Let's talk honestly to each-other like real people, not internet personas.

i only disagreed with the claim that excess protein consumption gives you kidney problems
i never said it was advantageous to do so did i?

time to stop speculating
just because my nickname consists of 3 letters does that make me less credible?

well put Kyle! this guys just looking for confrontation, anyone can talk smack on the net its called E-thuggin "cos talking shit in person will get ya smacked" right upg?

hahah same here mate isnt it fun snapping it back in place in front of shocked on lookers, watch this, click! crack! snap! oh yer

well put Kyle! this guys just looking for confrontation, anyone can talk smack on the net its called E-thuggin "cos talking shit in person will get ya smacked" right upg?

all i did was correct kyle aaron on a statement which is false
he claimed and i quote

There is some evidence that more than 2.5g protein per kg bodyweight can lead to kidney problems.

There is only evidence of this with people with pre existing conditions

he later goes on to correct himself and rightly so

Essentially, if you are healthy, then it's unlikely to be a problem.

i never once said it wasn't a waste of money/time ..etc to consume a lot of protein. i was just telling the facts. excess consumption does not cause kidney problems.

if this forum is about misinformation then theres no point me posting anymore, because i dont talk shit.

ChrisOX
comments like yours arent constructive and arent even on topic?
just trolling to get your post count up?

Last edited:
Dude, UPG is entitled to hi opinion. If anyone is talking shit, it's you.

Nonsense, Shrek. Old triple-initials is just looking to stir shit.

"Everybody has opinions: I have them, you have them. And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, that’s horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, it’s nothing. It’s just bibble-babble. It’s like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks."
- Harlan Ellison​
Just another internet tough guy hiding behind a pseudonym with nothing constructive to say, just "no u!"

yerp i got 10 posts up now yay! thanks for helping me out guys

If his opinions are ill-informed then so be it, he will be found out in the end.
Let's just keep the name calling away.

Surely you guys can have a sensible debate with calling each other "trolls" and "tools"
That goes for you to UPG.

"Trolls & Tools" that has a nice ring to it.. hahahahahahaha I crack me up.