• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

breakfast

G

gymjunkie

hey guys, just wanted to get your opinions on some foods.

I know most bodybuilders eat oats for breakfast, but could someone explain to me WHY? I mean they are good carbs and have a bit of protein but is that it? The protein is fairly low isnt it?

I eat 3-4 eggs + toast for breakfast or if im running late in the morning i'll have a bowl of cereal. I;ve been eating this uncle tobys "PROTEIN LIFT" cereal. You guys know the one? Is there really much a difference in having oats over something like this?

I never have oats alone, always with 4-6 egss depending on diet. I try to steer clear of bread, I like to have unprocessed food, but don't mind some wholemeal bread occasionally for breakfast in which case I won't have oats. I too have some cereal in the cupboard which i will have istead of oats 1-2 per week just to releive the boredom.

Not so when on a cal deficit diet though.

The protein in oats is 17% by weight. This is quite a lot for a grainy sort of thing - more than bread, weet bix, etc. Even more than Kindred's fruit loops.

A cup of dry oats is about 150g in weight, so that's 24g protein - equivalent to a bit under 4 raw whole eggs. Put in half a cup of milk to cool down the oats, or cook them in, and it brings it to 30g or so.

The carbs in it are complex carbs, so they're relatively slow release. You'll get energy for a couple of hours afterwards out of them.

They're also high in fibre, helps you poo properly. This is particularly important if you're eating a lot of meat and protein powder in the rest of the day's meals, as those tend to bind you up. Most of us do not lift well when constipated.

theyre a complex carb
so slow digesting and better energy release (slower)
delays hunger

cheap
easy to cook
tastes good

these days i have my oats with water
and eat 250ml of eggwhites
i figure i get my carbs from the oats so why add milk and reduce the calorific deficit

They are.

That's why I add honey to them. A bit of quick-release carbs with the slow-release ones.

Still pretty bland, though. But like PowerPagan said, sometimes you're eating food, sometimes you're shovelling fuel.

I think oats are tasty, but I have an apple or banana sliced with them. Plus I have them with soy milk, which some would say adds negative flavour, but I like it these days.

bland is good
i actually look forward to eating my oats in the morning as opposed to cottage cheese at night

SubCom's most awesome porridge recipe.

Night before

3/4 cup of oats in saucepan
add 1 cup of milk
add 3/4 cup of water

Let sit until morning in fridge.

Take out of fridge place on high heat. Add large pinch of salt. Add about 6cm by 1 cm of cinnammon bark crushed up over the top.

Bring to boil keep it boiling for about 30 seconds while stirring then place on low heat. Come back every minute for about 5 minutes as the milk and water steam off.

Get used to what level of liquid you like. If i don't soak the night before i don't like much liquid if the oats have not soaked i let cook for a while.

Add some nutmeg sprinkled over the top and cover in good dark honey.

Voila.