• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

how much protein do you take?

BoyFromAus

how much do you take... I take 1g per pound of lean body mass.

I weigh 72kg with 13% bodyfat which is roughly 62kg of lean mass...140 pounds..So i take 140g.

Some people say this is inadequate while others are shocked at this figure.

Anyways, how much do you take?

At the moment, about 100g a day.

If you're a beginner, so long as you have a calorie surplus - something to build your body with - how much of that is protein doesn't matter much. That'll keep you growing muscles for the first 3-9 months of hard training.

Once you're intermediate - after that first year - then 1-2g/kg bodyweight will do you good. Less than that and you won't grow very much, more than that will be pooed and peed out unless you're taking HGH or steroids (which you shouldn't).

Advanced - well if you're advanced then you don't bother talking to random strangers online :D

I am passing from novice to intermediate, just on the cusp, so I've recently upped my protein from 70 to 100g a day.

how much do you take... I take 1g per pound of lean body mass.

I weigh 72kg with 13% bodyfat which is roughly 62kg of lean mass...140 pounds..So i take 140g.

Some people say this is inadequate while others are shocked at this figure.

Anyways, how much do you take?

Why bother with the math and conversions you have to do with pounds?
You are on almost 2 and a half per kg.One and a half to two and a half per kg seems to be the popular theory for muscle gain.

As for how much protein your body needs; it needs between 1g/kg to 2.5g/kg according to Forslund et al. At 2.5g/kg, you will have a positive protein balance and a negative fat balance. At 1g/kg, you will have zero protein balance and a slight increase in fat balance.

Fadi.

I have had well over 500g a day with great results. If i have anything less than around 250 i feel im not recovering from my workouts. At 75kg bodyweight.

I get around 180 grams per day from my shakes alone... then I have tuna for morning tea, 1/2 chicken for lunch and steak for dinner, I'd say I'm getting HEAPS of protein... 300 grams + per day.

I have had well over 500g a day with great results. If i have anything less than around 250 i feel im not recovering from my workouts. At 75kg bodyweight.
So you're having around 3.33g/kg which is the upper limit. I'm just wondering, how is your carbohydrate intake (since you've mentioned the word "recovery")? Thank you.

Fadi.

Dunno, had 1/4 pumpkin, whole sweet potato, around 30g of carbs from milk.

250g baked beans. Varies depending on whether im working or not.

If you knew the way you know your protein intake; having problem with recovery may become something of the past. Just an observation.

PS: You've made a comment about the 2200 calorie "diet" I wrote that it was basically too low to acheive anything. I gave you an answer which you've chosen to ignore I noticed.

Maybe you'd like to look at my 13500 calorie "diet" and see if you can match it! You see, it's all relative. What's your first name by the way?

Calories = 13500
Protein= 712g @ 21%
Carbs=1192g @ 35%
Fat= 655g @ 44%

http://ausbb.com/nutrition-diet/9018-fadis-13500-calorie-diet.html

Fadi.

Lately i've taken a Dave Tate appraoch to nutrition. His approach isn't so much as knowing your macro-nutreint break down. As long as your taking in a regular quality source or Pro, Cho & Fat then your doing ok. Since every 'body' is different, the spectrum that fadi mentioned is wide. OK, not THAT wide, lets be honest...lets say Bob weigh's 65kg when soaking wet...

65 x 1 x 4 = 65g (260 calories)
65 x 2.58 x 4 = 167g (670 calories)

So it's wide...but not overly. Anyway...my personal approach is to work by feel, not by the numbers. I think there are days when i crave a higher protein intake, other days I'll stick to a rough guide of at least 1.2g (that's a Minimum for me).

I realise that this post could come across as a) offensive, b) a waste of time & c)pretty stupid. Feel free to deliver feedback tho

I have around 120-150g of protein on days i dont work out. and days i workout i have around 180-230g.
Weight: 77kg

I am / was getting 120 - 150g prtein a day at 70kg, In my last test results my albumin was low, which is an indication of not enough protein. I will be loking at 200g minumum now per day, This probably explains my stagnatting weight wise.

Remember, due to the thermogenic effect of food, you lose 27% of protien to digestion. say you eat 200g of protien, you take 27%,that leaves you with 146g of protien, lets say you absorb/use/whatever 75% of that, you are left with 109.5g of protien.

I'm eating (when i dont have uni and work ruling my life), around 400g, 300 on a bad day.

i'm 201 pounds, taking in about 214g per day.

if that helps?

about 1g per pound per day but i bump this up if i cut my carbs down during a dieting phase. I usually bump up to 1.5-2g of protein per day when carbs are decreased.