• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

nuts..

Flea

im curious as to what the best nuts to eat are? ive seen a few people from this site have them in there diets, but I have no idea what I should be looking for?

People have them because they're high in protein, 15-20% by weight. However, of the different nuts, those highest in protein (almonds, peanuts) are also high in fat (40-50%). Which may or may not bother you.

If you're in your first 3-9 months of training, just eat lots; though some nuts like a piece of fruit, protein shake or plain old milk drink 30-90 minutes before training can give you a bit of an energy boost for the workout.

After that first 3-9 months, you may want extra protein in your diet. But the extra fat you get from nuts means you must either not care about fat (eg you're powerlifting, or just want to be "big" all over) or you work a bit harder in the gym, or do some cardio.

Kyle, the fat in nuts are Good fats... you need those for hormone production.

mono-unsaturated fat affect good cholesterol positively. This results in proper hormone production.

poly-unsaturated fat supposedly has a good effect on immunity. I don't know what research shows this.

SAturated fat and Trans-fat (which you get from fried foods, roasted pork etc.) increases bad cholesterol. Not to mention, it's just un-necessary calories.

So yea, Peanut Butter, Almonds and Flax seed oil are some good stuff..

I agree, but there's such a thing as too much information. Eat enough "good fats" and you will get fat. See the old Italian and Greek mammas back home. Typically a young person beginning training isn't worried about hormone production and cholesterol, they just want to build muscle, and for the muscle to be visible.

When someone asks a question, I just give them an answer which is (a) within the limits of what i definitely know, (b) what science has shown to be so, rather than broscience, and (c) what they're likely to be interested in.

ahh yeah definitely. too much good fat is just gonna make one fat... but then again, i've seen some beginners completely cut out fat (like 0%).. that's bad.

Definitely. That's why I made that distinction between a beginner - "just eat lots" - and afterwards. Usually if you make it through the first 6 months without injuring yourself or chucking it in, you'll learn something, and not do anything too daft after that.

Buy raw nuts to ensure they have as little fat as possible.Add seeds like
pumpkin,sunflower etc.Dried fruit makes it a treat.
If you can afford bulk go that way.

so Peanut Butter, Almonds and Flax seed oil is the way to go?

U can add other nuts but I think those make a brilliant foundation.
Almonds -> Omega 6
Flax Seed oil tablets -> Omega 3 (I take 9 1g tablets a day)
Peanut Butter -> The remainder of mono and poly-unsat fats

But make sure you're not consuming too much of them. 20% of your total calories from good fat is a widely accepted figure.

So for someone on a 2000 calorie diet, they'll be having 44g of good fat a day spread over 6 meals.

Not to mention, Almonds have protein and Peanut Butter has protein too (as well as some carbs)

Are you talking about natural peanut butter or just plain old Kraft Peanut Butter?

Nat PB is the way to go but I often just buy home brand PB from woolies. It actually has a bit more protein in it per serve than Kraft PB.

I blame this thread... reading it made me hungry last night and I dug into the PB jar... finished it off!

I know, but for me the extra salt and fat isn't a big deal as I struggle to put on weight anyway. (I'm one of those people who could eat a horse but still stay skinny) The thing is, natural PB is really hard to find in Aus (without it costing an arm and a leg). anyone had any success?

I know, but for me the extra salt and fat isn't a big deal as I struggle to put on weight anyway. (I'm one of those people who could eat a horse but still stay skinny) The thing is, natural PB is really hard to find in Aus (without it costing an arm and a leg). anyone had any success?

Sanitarium makes it.. I order it from the web.

I got Natural Peanut Butter from the health section in Woolworths. It cost less than Kraft PB for the same size bottle! But I prefer the taste of Kraft PB over Natural PB.

u can get natural PB from safeway made by sanitairum. also have almond butter and sunflower seed butter. all tasta great.

I got Natural Peanut Butter from the health section in Woolworths. It cost less than Kraft PB for the same size bottle! But I prefer the taste of Kraft PB over Natural PB.

Cool. I've just finished licking my jar clean so I'll have a look at Natural PB. Thanks everyone else for the suggestions too, I'll have a better look in the supermarket.