• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

I need a new computer does anyone have any advice?

kindred

My computer is between 6-8 years old has:
2.8GHz processor
2 gig ram
state of the art graphics card from about 4 years ago

I basically want something that is better at running videos and games and video links that sort of thing.

Should i buy a premade one or build my own? If I build it where do you actually get the components from? Im from Adelaide if that helps.

Dell. Next day on-site parts replacement if there are any failures. Slightly more expensive than putting it together yourself, but no chance that you will flock it up. From years of personal and professional experience they win hands down.

End of thread.

I'd go build you own. Tend to be cheaper this way and you get more bang for your buck.
I can help you plan out your specs but you gotta tell me what you plan to use it for?

General surfing and MS office? or hardcore gaming? or Graphic Design?

cutsom built or get a Mac, they rule can run your home theatre and everything and they never go out of date, i am still using my 05 mac mini and runs all current mac software and OS's too its first of the intel macs. so so cool!

cutsom built or get a Mac, they rule can run your home theatre and everything and they never go out of date, i am still using my 05 mac mini and runs all current mac software and OS's too its first of the intel macs. so so cool!

He said he wanted gaming. Macs can't game. The only thing they do is make you look like a homosexual to the rest of the world.

Also, my laptop can do all that. The only difference between Mac's and PC's these days are that Macs are twice the price for half the specs.

Ok Kindred, try to scrape up something like this:

Intel Quad Core -any GHZ should be fine. Find a price point to your comfort.
4GB DDR3 RAM
Motherboard that can support Quad Core and DDR3
Sapphire Radeon HD4830 or Inno3D 9800GT 1gb ddr3 256bit
HDD (size is up to your need and price considerations)

You should be fine generally along these specs. They are not the most high-end (ultra gaming) but you should be able to run fairly all current games without much problem. The hardware today is more advanced than the games usually.

Where you can find them? Look around for your nearest computer shops or IT malls. Places where they sell parts.

Thanks for the advice. I think I may leave it until my computer actually blows up now. Its bad at the moment causeing random power surges etc but i figure I may as well see how long the bugga will last from purchase to blowing up :)

Then you'll have no computer at all for a time.

Besides, you ask any serious computer user, and they'll tell you they have a spare with a backup of all their documents. Computers just aren't reliable enough to not have backups.

Then you'll have no computer at all for a time.

Besides, you ask any serious computer user, and they'll tell you they have a spare with a backup of all their documents. Computers just aren't reliable enough to not have backups.

Cruxis is right. If you have some files you don't want to lose. Better backup right now. Even if you don't want to buy a new one yet, you should get a USB backup drive. You can use this right now and on the new computer in the future so its not a wasted investment.

-Mike

i dont have anything on my computer apart from games which i own so no need to back them up. Thatnks for the advice tho it makes sense i know a lot of people keep thier financial stuff on the old comp. I dont tho so im good.

we have 2 hard drives in our computer so no need for an external hard drive.

Kindred - what's your budget? we just put together a new computer from msy for gaming. if your budget is similar to ours, i'll post up the specs.

$1,500 either side.

That's pretty high already. I think you can get away with $1000 and already have a good system. I am assuming you do not need new LCDs or speakers as you probably have decent ones already.

I can't post direct links yet. Try google for buydirectPC. Check out their custom-gaming PC

-Mike

Last edited:
here's a few computers we looked at when building our current one

Listed in order of

Motherboard
Processor
Graphics Card
Memory
HDD 1
HDD 2
DVD Burner
Case
PSU

Option 1

Motherboard Gigabyte EX58 UD4P 359
Processor i920 441
Graphics Card 896MB GTX 260 Gigabyte 289
Memory 6G kit-1600 (3*2G) GSkill PI 185
HDD 1 WD AV SATA 1TB 167
HDD 2 WD AV SATA 1TB 167
DVD Burner SATA DVD-RW 28
Case Unknown 50
PSU Antec Earthwatts 500W 129
Keyboard Brandless 10
Mouse Brandless 10

Total 1835

Option 2

Gigabyte EP45-DS4P 195
Q9650 493
896MB GTX 260 Gigabyte 289
4G kit-1066 (2*2G) 85
WD AV SATA 1TB 167
WD AV SATA 1TB 167
SATA DVD-RW 28
Unknown 50
Unknown 100
Brandless 10
Brandless 10

Total 1594

Option 3
MSI X58 Pro 345
i920 445
XFX GTX 260 305
6G kit-1600 (3*2G) Corsair 195
WD SATA 1TB 177
WD SATA 1TB 177
SATA DVD-RW 28
Unknown 50
Antec Earthwatts 500W 130
Brandless 10
Brandless 10

Total 1872

Bear in mind that we also needed it for work and programming not just games.