• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Cycling] Bike for Adventure racing

I want to start getting into adventure racing. I would consider doing a triathlon, but since I can't swim to save myself, adventure racing is better for me (kayak instead of swim leg).

What should I look for when I first go looking for a bike so I don't get ripped off and end up walking out with some whizz bang model with a heap of features I have no idea how to use?

Not really considering budget at the moment. Don't know enough bike terminology yet to know the price range of the sort of gear I would need! I know that bikes can get very expensive, but I'm not looking to be a serious racer who needs a bike that weight 3kgs. More likely to be someone that enters a comp once or twice a year and cycles for fun.

As I am only 155cm tall, do you reckon I should look at junior bikes? Even for a woman I am at the shorter end of the scale.

Not really considering budget at the moment. Don't know enough bike terminology yet to know the price range of the sort of gear I would need! I know that bikes can get very expensive, but I'm not looking to be a serious racer who needs a bike that weight 3kgs. More likely to be someone that enters a comp once or twice a year and cycles for fun.

As I am only 155cm tall, do you reckon I should look at junior bikes? Even for a woman I am at the shorter end of the scale.

If it`s just for fun go for something you will ride not only for training.
155cm!Wow!A good bike shop should be able to help you out.
A reputable shop wouldn`t sell you crap and they would hope you come back for servicing,accessories etc. so they will not talk crap to you.
But as I said in another thread anything over a grand is way too much for what you want.6-700 would get you something pretty good.
A few pointers here.
Buying a bike that fits a woman

Thanks! I work with a hardcore adventurer, and he was telling me that I'd need to spend close to $1000-$1500. Was OK with that, especially if I end up enjoying the whole adventure race thing, but perhaps a bit much to shell out for a test run. Would be a bit concerned if I turned up at my first Teva race with an awesome bike- then people expect that you know what you're doing.

Thanks! I work with a hardcore adventurer, and he was telling me that I'd need to spend close to $1000-$1500. Was OK with that, especially if I end up enjoying the whole adventure race thing, but perhaps a bit much to shell out for a test run. Would be a bit concerned if I turned up at my first Teva race with an awesome bike- then people expect that you know what you're doing.

It really depends on how hardcore you want to be.
I am no expert really but I do cycle more in a week than the
average person drives so I have done a few K`s.The 500 dollar
bike I bought almost 20 years ago is still at my mum`s and I get it out
whenever I am back home.It looks a bit sad and old but it still does
the job.
If you can afford it and if you will ride the bike whether you compete
or not a 1500 dollar bike will serve you well for many years to come so
there is no harm in shelling out that much.

I guess I need to look at weight as well. Have to be able to carry it up three flights of stairs with relative ease. Damn apartment living.