• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Has anyone with bad knees tried knee straps/support?

kindred

Has anyone with bad knees tried knee straps/support?

Are they worth getting?

Did they make a big impact or are they a waste of time?

If by straps you mean those leccy tape width straps,
waste of time.
They do give a sense of security which can be good or
bad.Good because it gives you a bit of confidence and
bad because wearing them may make you overconfident.
The amount of weight and stress you put on your knees
is enormous so if anything is going to pop out they won`t
stop it from happening.
Supporters vary in size so depending on your injury they
do help a lot.
I wear a Physiowrap knee supporter.If nothing else
the pressure it puts on the joint stops any twinges
and swelling I get on a "bad knee day".

I get pain. It doesnt feel like anything is going to pop out it just hurts to the point all my strength disappears. It actually feels like the muscles in the area are torn. I have no idea why it feels like that because im fine when im walking around its just when i do squats or deadlifts :S

I dont get swelling it just hurts like hell.

I get a pain in the left knee. I use straps only on my last or heaviest set or the pain can stop me prematurely. I think my cartilage may be worn after years of squating.

I always use knee supports, wether im running, riding or lifting. seems to help, could be all in my head though

My knees aren't that good but taking into account I'm over 40 and have played various sports for many years there is a lot of wear and tear. Seek the advice of a sports doctor or a medical practioner with some training knowledge. if your knees are shot wraps etc will not help them imo. It may be the case that you need to perform other exercises to work your legs. Best of luck.

I am having trouble with my left knee. I think it is due to bad squatting form or just over doing it as I was squatting everyday.

After three days the pain has mostly gone but the patella is still clicking. :(

I have Osgood-Schlatter in the right knee from over training when I was 17. 5% of cases stay on through to adulthood (lucky me), similar situation, causes intense pain when squatting. Difference I suppose is it apparently is curable with expensive surgery.
Do you see a lump below your patella, pretty much at the top of the knee? If you are not sure (they are not big lumps) compare it to your good knee.

Doing any exercises to strengthen the knees ?

I have fairly dodgy knees but as long as I'm doing leg extensions or stair climbs(walk up the stairs at work 21 levels) the knee cap stays nice and centered with no grating.

If you are getting pain or other problems talk to your physio.

i would avoid leg extensions mate! worst exercise for the knee
i have had a knee reco & 2 scopes on the other knee.
leg raises off the floor seemed to really switch on my VMO and get them better.
b/w squats with a med ball between knees too.
get used to doing these EVERY workout during your warm-up. My knees feel 100% now...

My knees have gotten a lot better since I started squatting ass-to-grass* instead of stopping at parallel. Mind you, my weights went down a lot too, that could have something to do with it.

*: i.e. as low as my middle-aged desk-worker flexibility will allow.

I used to suffer from chronic knee pain a couple of years ago that really hampered my strength progress. No amount of fish oil, stretching or warming up my knees with knee sleeves would help.

Now my knees feel good.

What has changed? I now squat either barefoot or in flat soled shoes, whereas before I was wearing Olympic lifting shoes. A little while ago I tried going back to the Olympic lifting shoes and after a few squat workouts my knees felt like shit again.

Maybe try sitting back more or squatting to a box to shift the weight more toward your posterior chain rather than your quads.