• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Plastic or Glass containers?

kindred

I have read that plastic can bleed toxins into food and liquads.

Do you believe this?

Do you use plastic or glass containers?

I have read that plastic can bleed toxins into food and liquads.

Do you believe this?

Do you use plastic or glass containers?

I believe it is possible but i have never seen proof.
If anyone remembers that whole story about plastic baby bottles bleeding toxins when being heated,it has been debunked.All the info was crap.the study was never done as claimed and the supposed uni that did the research didn`t exist.
But,as I said, it sounds more than possible so I wouldn`t discount it.

Edit; found it

http://www.abc.net.au/science/artic...te=science/greatmomentsinscience&topic=latest

Last edited:
I would prefer to use glass because of the artificial estrogen that leeches from plastic, but when you are packing your lunch for work, it's a bit much. They weigh a tonne. Figure if I am not heating them up, its OK and it's healthier to take lunch than buy something on the road.

I've heard the rumors about plastic but never saw any proof. I use plastic bottles since they are handier to put in a gym bag without worries than glass.

Probably won't change unless a study with absolute proof comes about.

-Mike

According to the US FDA, most plastics - those designed to be heated, that is - are harmless, or if they contain some harmful chemicals, the amount you receive will be harmless. CSIRO isn't worried, either. The again, something is making the sperm count of men in the West drop over the years.

For my part, because more bizarro chemicals can migrate out of the plastic when it's heated, I prefer to transport the food in a sealed plastic container, and then heat it in a proper bowl. The FDA and CSIRO say there's no danger, but it does me no harm to heat in proper dishes instead. It's just nicer to eat out of proper dishes anyway.

By the way, wooden chopping boards are hygienically safer than plastic ones.

Last edited:
I've heard the rumors about plastic but never saw any proof. I use plastic bottles since they are handier to put in a gym bag without worries than glass.

Probably won't change unless a study with absolute proof comes about.

-Mike

i have read a few reports that talk about the plastic toxins, BPA i beleive they are called, anyway i use steel drink bottels and take them to the gym with me, they are alot dearer than plastic but i figure they should also last alot longer.
do a serch for hydraflask, or put com and au on the end, still cant post links.

They have banned certain plastics from being used for babies bottles in Europe because of concerns over toxicity. Still used all the time here though.

Yeah i heard about it and saw it on tv. And from all the comments above, it must be true! Ive used plastic containers to preserve food for quite awhile, never had any problems with it.. Glass containers are fragile and a heavy... grabbing a glass container out of the fridge gets me tired right after a heavy intense workout. Yeah guess i am lazyy. haha well thats me.

i have read a few reports that talk about the plastic toxins, BPA i beleive they are called, anyway i use steel drink bottels and take them to the gym with me, they are alot dearer than plastic but i figure they should also last alot longer.
do a serch for hydraflask, or put com and au on the end, still cant post links.

Plastics contain toxins no doubt but the issue is whether they leak or not.
I would think that simply storing stuff in plastic would 110% not be a risk.
As for heating,I never heat/cook stuff in plastic just to be safe.
In spite of all the "reports" I have never seen any results of studies on the matter and as I stated the particular study claimed to have been done was all a crock of shite.
Still,I choose to play it safe.

I dont neccesarily beleive that toxins leak from plastic.
i just thought that glass and plastic are not the only options, i find steel contains to be good for drink bottles.
I actually started using steel containers cause i stumbled across this video one day.
Capt. Charles Moore on the seas of plastic | Video on TED.com
If you got a spare ten minutes its a really interesting watch.